Too Many Options?

Syle Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been working on a color changer for one of my products and was trying to decide if I am offering to many colors.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across deciding how many options to include with a product? How do you do to make sure your product isn't to overwhelming with options on colors, textures, and more?

I am still trying to figure this out myself and have yet to experiment in my own items. I was just curious if anyone else has experience on this matter.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading responses :)

If it is a fashion item or accessory I prefer to have a few preset colors but include a color picker with spaces to save colors.

On the other hand if you are talking about color variations of a single texture for something like furniture upholstery, that is really up to you.  If your HUD is well designed that is easy to see and understand, the choices are visual, and all you have to do is click, I don't think you can have an overwhelming number.  On the other hand you don't want a HUD that takes up too much screen real estate either.  So either limit the choices to the number you can fit on the face of a reasonably sized HUD or design your HUD to switch 'pages' for more choices.

My color/texture changing products come with API where a user can set their own number of colors and/or textures. Builders using these products can set whatever number of colors/textures they seem reasonable but then leave the API full perms so their customers could set their own preferences.

I think around 7-10 basic colors? Or two tones (one light and one dark) of each color?

I myself don't like color pickers/eyedroppers because I can't stand tinted stuff... I used to like but not anymore, they look weird on my computer in certain windlights and mismatch the outfit... but this is just my personal opinion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.