Thoughts about Gatchas for Creators

Anetta Larsson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Once upon a time, gatchas were quirky, weird, cute, fun items you could win from a slot machine, and they still can be.

But nowadays, more and more often I see gatchas filled with buildings, clothes, hair, and it is becoming annoying.

If I want an item, I would like to be able to just buy it, not stand at a slot machine and feed it money like an idiot. I understand the rationale behind it for creators - I am sure they are making a fortune from the rares.

But I think - just put the price up and let me buy the damn thing, don't make me stand there and try try try again and collect an inventory full of hair of the wrong colour, for example, when I have no intention of reselling on MP or at a market inworld.

Anetta Larsson wrote:

Once upon a time, gatchas were quirky, weird, cute, fun items you could win from a slot machine, and they still can be.

But nowadays, more and more often I see gatchas filled with buildings, clothes, hair, and it is becoming annoying.

If I want an item, I would like to be able to just buy it, not stand at a slot machine and feed it money like an idiot. I understand the rationale behind it for creators - I am sure they are making a fortune from the rares.

But I think - just put the price up and let me buy the damn thing, don't make me stand there and try try try again and collect an inventory full of hair of the wrong colour, for example, when I have no intention of reselling on MP or at a market inworld.

Most of the items you mentioned were made specifically for gacha "events" and there's a large market in reselling those items where you can let you get exactly what you want at the gacha price.

I would like to adress a couple of the comments here:

I used the example of hair, and yes, the main differece in common vs rare is the colours, but I also mentioned buildings, and this is different. Common items tend to be the decorations, but rare tend to be the actual buidings themselves, so that is why I need the rare!

Reselling: I need to rent a spot at a market, which I am not interested in, simly because it costs even more money, and selling a no copy item (which gatchas usually are) requeres me to have a magic box, so I also need to rent land to have. A pain in the floppy parts!

Anetta Larsson wrote:

I would like to adress a couple of the comments here:

I used the example of hair, and yes, the main differece in common vs rare is the colours, but I also mentioned buildings, and this is different. Common items tend to be the decorations, but rare tend to be the actual buidings themselves, so that is why I need the rare!

Reselling: I need to rent a spot at a market, which I am not interested in, simly because it costs even more money, and selling a no copy item (which gatchas usually are) requeres me to have a magic box, so I also need to rent land to have. A pain in the floppy parts!

What I meant was you don't  need to manipulate the gacha machines at all - just go to places where they resell the items.

Love to Decorate did a survey of their uses (creators & customers) a while back and found that over half the people who responded felt that gatchas were past their time. Overpriced items & extremely rare rares were 2 of the common problems stated.

I avoid gatchas because they end up costing me more than just buying a similar item somewhere else. If I really want a gatcha item, I look for it in a resale market. If we stop buying from gatchas, merchants will stop using them, but as long as they're making money from them, they will continue to use this gimmick.

I've never even payed attention to gachas as a shopper or merchant, until recently when I started noticing lots of item spam on the MP from resellers with multiple listings for the same item, like we really need an other way to messing up MP search.  

If I were to use gachas to sell my items I think I would sell my items both ways so people could buy them how ever they want,  but I don't like the idea of competing against my own creations on the MP.

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

[snip]

If I were to use gachas to sell my items I think I would sell my items both ways so people could buy them how ever they want,  but I don't like the idea of competing against my own creations on the MP.

While I would not ever tell a creator how to market or sell their items, as a gacha player, I would not play your machine if the same items (or even recolors, etc.) were available as non-gacha items.  

I understand that gacha creation is a lot of work and is not for everyone.  That being said I have found some of my favorite content creators by playing one of their gacha machines at an event and realizing how much I like their things.

I do like the quest for the rare, but also look at the machine and the items and think about how much a similar non-gacha item would cost before deciding how much to spend.  And there are plenty of times where I don't play and just go buy the similar item directly instead.

Someone else in the thread mention that 100L is a good deal for a skin or hair and it can be if you aren't particular about the color you wear.  But if you do, you cn spend far more than that to get the color you want.  So YMMV.

Personally I absolutely hate Gatchas.  If I go to a store in search of something and find it sold in a gatcha I simply leave and take my business elsewhere.  I would much rather see it slightly altered so that there is a choice to play or buy, so that if I want to buy this furniture set I can get it for price X, but if I want I can take my chances and see if I can get it for lower price Y.

I do see their appeal, and they were fun when it was for little quirky collectibles, but the route they've gone now just makes me buy what I want at someone else's store.

They need to add a filter to the MP so that you can filter OUT, limited quantity items.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with Dorian here. Personally I believe that same than freebie and almost freebie sellers, gachas are contributing to ruin the Market in SL. Sales for designers are harder and harder everyday and this helps a lot for this, also helps as well to close many more stores, even more than closed last years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.