Survey Says!

Deja Letov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Deja Letov wrote:

Spica, I get the feeling based on your posts, that you have an obvious dislike towards merchants. or at least against SL business in general..I think anyone who reads your posts can get that, I can tell you also don't like LL, but making statements just to be negative as many of your posts seem to do, with nothing to back them up is complete nonsense....about as much nonsense as replying to a post without having actually read it first to see that it isn't even trying to do what you think it's trying to do.

I have decided that if someone has nothing to offer, esp in a forum called "Merchants", they are best ignored. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

Deja Letov wrote:

I get several messages per day by people asking "I saw so and so on the marketplace and was wondering if you have it rezzed in your store so i can see it in person before I buy  it." I hired 2 assistants who hang out in my shop to direct people to products because this happens that often. 

OT but -- I just include the  inworld Slurl of each item, since there is a data field for it in the listing.

I used to do that but I move my furniture around quite a bit, especially new items. SO it wasn't feasible to keep up with it.

Wow, you are a nerd for numbers, but yes this is interesting. I'd like have similar info for my store. I often wonder if the few hunts I've been in have helped at all, by tempting hunters to revisit later.

Deja, did you make the survey a dropdown box, with ticky buttons for answers? (I've never foisted one of those on visitors, but wonder how on earth else to go about it.)

Tiffy Vella wrote:

Wow, you
are
a nerd for numbers, but yes this is interesting. I'd like have similar info for my store. I often wonder if the few hunts I've been in have helped at all, by tempting hunters to revisit later.

Deja, did you make the survey a dropdown box, with ticky buttons for answers? (I've never foisted one of those on visitors, but wonder how on earth else to go about it.)

Oh ya I am a total nerd for numbers. Just wait til end of the month (1 more day to go) and I tell you all about a little experiement I did for the month of August by increasing my marketing time in my business by 2 hours each week...and how MUCH more money it brought me in. THAT I think might be interesting when you guys see my results.

The survey was button based. The system I bought had a ntoecard where I could fill in the options and I could have sub options as well. For example, if they choose "Advertisement" as their source, they got a submenu of "Profile Pick", "Display Ad", "Classified", "Market Stall". Same thing the "Other Group" option, I listed out all the groups I advertise in currently. If you want to see what it looks like you're welcome to come by my shop. I'm planning on leaving it up for the month of September at least.

"The first post in this thread states: "I realize this information is probably only interesting for an inworld store owner, this isn't going to help any of you MP only shop owners."

Nods, and your point, Czari?

"Deja clearly indicates that her survey was to determine, in your words, "the relative ratios of different methods for INWORLD merchant locating."  That was precisely the point -  to get an idea of how her inworld traffic found her store.  I don't see anything that suggests it is hard to find merchants via a MP search."

No, she was trying to determine how peeps found her store inworld or elsewhere. "But for the last week, I've put up a single one question survey at the main entrance of my store to see if I could get a much better understanding of where my customers are coming from."

"The first post also says: "The biggest surprise to me is the number for the Marketplace. The Marketplace currently varies each month to consist of anywhere from 40-50% of my total sales. So to see that only 

Yes, notice how she said "found me" and not "found my inworld store"

"The bolded part might be where the confusion is.  I don't read this as it was hard to find Deja's MP store.  If that were the case 40-50% of her sales would not come from there.  My interpretation of the MP inference (and Deja, please correct me if I'm off on this) is that, considering a healthy chunk of Deja's sales are from the MP,  she was surprised that it only translated into 15% of that number coming to her in world store as a result.  Based on my own experience with MP sales of my products plus my own shopping habits (when I shop...lol), I would say many MP shoppers, especially those who shop exclusively on the MP, rarely go to in world stores thus not being present to take the survey in the first place."

She was implying that "15% of my visitors found me on the Marketplace, caught me off guard. I thought it would be quite a bit higher."

Once again the erroneous implications and conclusions where that 15% of the total findings/locatings of her store (inworld or elsewhere) for the first time resulting in customer purchases of her products  found her store via The Marketplace. But many who use The Marketplace don't bother to go to someones inworld store when they can purchase the product quicker and easier using The Marketplace. That makes the 15% Marketplace finding highly erroneous. 

"The only thing I will add is that your other statement saying people wouldn't come in world to "look at things on display or whatever" is totally wrong by a long shot. I get several messages per day by people asking "I saw so and so on the marketplace and was wondering if you have it rezzed in your store so i can see it in person before I buy  it."

Why would peeps ask you if your stuff was on display instead of just going there and finding out for themselves? For every one that bothers to send  you that message and wait for a reply I bet you that the vast majority do not and just tp to your store directly instead and 9 out of 10 on the Marketplace don't even bother to do even that. Most stores out there no longer have much of their stuff on 3d display anymore as it is too expensive to display them that way.

" I hired 2 assistants who hang out in my shop to direct people to products because this happens that often."

I haven't been to your inworld store yet, but now im going to have to. It must be quite huge?

"Spica, I get the feeling based on your posts, that you have an obvious dislike towards merchants. or at least against SL business in general..I think anyone who reads your posts can get that, I can tell you also don't like LL, but making statements just to be negative as many of your posts seem to do, with nothing to back them up is complete nonsense....about as much nonsense as replying to a post without having actually read it first to see that it isn't even trying to do what you think it's trying to do."

Actually what I dislike is deceptive and dishonest practices from anyone, but especially from LL and their employees/agents. And yes, I know their SL Alts are all over this message board (and most LL employees are also Merchants). My purpose is to try to save LL and SL in spite of themselves, but I will admit that my motivations are in part self centered as I don't want to see SL/LL going out of business with nothing viable to replace it and all the things I have made and will make going poof. ;-)

"Uhm ok...Again I say...have you actually read the intent of this survey? Obviously those who read the original post can see the only point was too track in world traffic so how exactly are in world results of an in world study totally not valid? And how does it relate to a marketplace search at all? I know I haven't made any guesses as to how easy it is too find me via a marketplace search".

It wasn't obvious at all. In fact you seemed to go out of your way to not mention that the statistics where to be based exclusively on your inworld store purchases.

"Well, truth be told, I never REALLY knew exactly how many customers were coming from which source".

"But for the last week, I've put up a single one question survey at the main entrance of my store to see if I could get a much better understanding of where my customers are coming from".

You did mentioned that you wanted your marketplace customers to purchase your products at your 'store' implying the inworld one, rather than purchasing them on the marketplace, but that was the only area where it was at least semi clear what you meant by 'store' outside of where the survey was located. ;-)

This is exactly what LL would like us to think. (That The Marketplace is insignificant and so why bother having it. Lets all go back inworld and shop shop shop for way overpriced stuff instead). Propaganda.

Spica Inventor wrote:

"The first post in this thread states:
"I realize this information is probably only interesting for an inworld store owner, this isn't going to help any of you MP only shop owners."

Nods, and your point, Czari?

My *point* Spica, is exactly what you quoted - Deja's survey had NOTHING to do with the MP, which your posts railed about.

What was your point?

Spica Inventor wrote:

"Uhm ok...Again I say...have you actually read the intent of this survey? Obviously those who read the original post can see the only point was too track in world traffic so how exactly are in world results of an in world study totally not valid? And how does it relate to a marketplace search at all? I know I haven't made any guesses as to how easy it is too find me via a marketplace search".

It wasn't obvious at all. In fact you seemed to go out of your way to not mention that the statistics where to be based exclusively on your inworld store purchases.

I'll try this one more time and speak more slowly...in Deja's first post she said:

"I realize this information is probably only interesting for an inworld store owner, this isn't going to help any of you MP only shop owners."

Thus indicating clearly (for anyone with a scintilla of common sense) that this was strictly for her in world business.

Argue on, Spica...I'm out of this thread.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Spica Inventor wrote:

I'll try this one more time and speak more slowly...in Deja's first post she said:

Thus indicating clearly (for anyone with a scintilla of common sense) that this was strictly for her in world business.

Argue on, Spica...I'm out of this thread.

Yup I'm with you Czari. No point in arguing over something with someone who is just twisting things in a way that's fitting to them. Anyway, I have a greedy post to make today. :)

Maybe I'm just restating what has already been stated, but IMHO, 15% from the MP seems like a good number, not a small number. What the number is actually saying is that 15% of people that originally found her from the MP, actually came inworld, AND took the survey. That seems like a pretty high number, to me. I sell mostly AOs, which most would assume people would come inworld to see them or try them. The reality is, not really. People do look at the reviews. For the most part tho, they are buying the only, or 1 of a few AOs specifically for what they want. Or, a friend said to buy that AO, or their friend has it. I have no idea how many people come inworld from my MP products, but if I got 15% in a poll like that, I'd consider that alot. For any1 else, I'd think that is super high.

The bottom line is, although this is a good study for Deja to do for herself, and interesting to see the poll and stats, it doesn't say that much for the rest of us. Every1 does things differently and every market works differently. You also have to think about the kind of people that would take a survey. Even in my own similar survey, years ago, I paid the surveyors some money and gave them a free gift. This all biases the study. This is important when you consider that even when you pay them, only a small fraction of the people that come by are taking the survey. It's going to take time to get good numbers out of the survey, as inworld traffic and shopping is only a fraction of what it used to be.

Being that most of all of our sale are on the MP, it would be nice if we could have a survey or poll system built into the MP. Maybe we could give coupons for taking merchant surveys.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.