[Suggestion] Fully "Viewer-Managed Marketplace"

Bedziu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Feature called "Viewer-Managed Marketplace" is not fully practical because editing of items data are still made via HTTP. Replacing existing old schema with brand new that would be fully integrated with the viewer user interface sounds like big milestone. Residents would be able to use their assets, for example by adding image of the product from snapshot created by viewer or other texture from their inventory. Another example would be simply drag & drop notecard over product describtion text field in order to copy its content. Many possibilities and great comfort, adding or editing marketplace positions would be easy as adding or editing own "Picks..." from the menu at top (Me > Picks...). Sometimes best ideas are right in front of our noses but often like to flee.

Hello World! Above is something I sent to Lindens via their suggestions system. It would be nice to know what you all think about that simple idea. Grab a nice cup of tea or coffee and feel free to discuss. Cheers!

At least with HTTP access, I can upload my product images for free, and don't have to worry about uploading them to my directory first.

I also find my browser much easier to create, edit and revise listings and images for, I don't see a need for a viewer-only managed marketplace - not at least without some major UI and interface changes first.

Why re-invent the wheel and make people do everything through a limited viewer - unless its all about control and/or security.

I do everything on the internet through my browser, I'd prefer to keep it that way then use SL's interface and UI to do the same thing.

You have a good point about being able of sending product images for free via http, but there where control and security not always goes together. There is no need to re-invent a wheel when it can be upgraded.

Could be two options to choose from via right click on the listing, quick edit via viewer ui and standard marketplace website to sate both sides taste.

What you think?

Even if it was a good idea, which it is not, the commerce team is not going to devote any time to something like this when there are things wrong with basic functionality -- such as search and keyword spam -- that have gone years without being fixed.

Bedziu wrote:

Ok, rage was too strong word to describe that. I mean, speak on behalf of group, assuming the rest will be also negatively approaching to it. That is kinda sick.

sorry but i still don't get it... you ask for others to respond at a improvement suggestion at a public forum, two do, they don't go on the same road and you call it "rage " and  "sick"  

i don't mind straight forward/blunt responses and disagreement in forumposts, but this is just killing it before anything is really said, fire it up, jump on it and defend your suggestion

ok, first of all the actual protocol being used has no factor on how the user experience is affected.

Adding an image to MP from one that i've uploaded?  I would suspect that most merchants take a picture in higher resolution than the viewer snapshot, save it to disk from the viewer, edit in a graphics app, then just send to MP for NO COST

The snapshot version in inventory is only uploaded for inworld store purposes and has a cost.  For anyone who does not maintain an inworld presence, there's no value at all in having a snapshot in inventory so where would the picture come from for the MP listing?

Notecards are horrid ways to provide product information.  For that matter, MP isn't much better either but that's because Pink Linden wanted conformity and thus removed all the useful edit features.  However, even if a merchant had created the notecard content first, it's really no big deal to copy and paste from the notecard.  Drag and drop isn't a great benefit to me since there's likely to be content in the notecard that would not be in the description field of the MP item listing so it would need editing anyway.

I'd much rather see something where LL provided API's that could be called via an external web interface such that our own vending systems could populate MP or similarly, those so inclined could produce something like Turbo Lister for Ebay,

Feel free to expand on the "Many possibilities" that you feel exist but for me, I can't see any value at all in the two addressed above.

Bedziu wrote:

You have a good point about being able of sending product images for free via http, but there where control and security not always goes together. There is no need to re-invent a wheel when it can be upgraded.

Could be two options to choose from via right click on the listing, quick edit via viewer ui and standard marketplace website to sate both sides taste.

What you think?

If I can do my banking online through HTTPS, I'm sure we can do our functionality and marketplace needs through the same browser, security and all.

I sign in to SL accounts, SL MP, and forums using my browser - we should continue in that manner, and secure those transactions like any other site does (HTTPS).

In the Viewer preferences, it allows me to choose to use the internal viewer, or my external viewer (Firefox), so if I had already wanted that, I would have that checked. I don't though, because my browser is open 100% of the time that my computer is operating, so I don't need another browser opened through SL - I'm sure many SLe'rs are the same with this.

Perhaps LL could do some research and include a function in the next viewer update that 'counts' how many users have that "Use internal browser" option checked. This will give them an idea if people even use it or not.

The irony is that the 'in-Viewer' browser probably uses existing browsers anyway, and is just wrapped in the Viewer interfaces, so no real gain is given - its just supposed to make it more convenient.. I think.

I agree with you on one thing though: Either go Full Viewer Experience, or fix what they already have and what everyone is used to . Just pick one thing and do it well is all we ask.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Even if it was a good idea, which it is not, the commerce team is not going to devote any time to something like this when there are things wrong with basic functionality -- such as search and keyword spam -- that have gone years without being fixed.

Noted for truth - this is a far more serious matter that needs to be addressed. The SL MP is all but 'broken' due to the massive abuses of keyword spam and mis-listings (all which have been flagged have been ignored still).

Looking for brown leather mens shoes? Why is a pirate ship coming up?

keywords "brown, pirate, ship,free (not free), freebie (nope, your product is NOT free),shoes, boots,hats (why is this in a pirate ship listing?), swords, flags, kemono (huh?), male, avatars, clothing"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.