Stunned

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:matte-motes-agape:

Looks like they are trying to hide then number of bugs there are!

This is not good.  How will anyone know if a bug has been reported already or be able to add information that may help them fix it?.

edit: I just looked at the new form,  They now require you to put your system information in your report.  Something tells me they will be doing what they always do as a first response - blaming it on your side and closing the ticket

Look at the bright side, now you won't have posts about what Jira's are being investigated for months on end with no results. You'll just get no results and no knowledge of outstanding bugs.

Ignorance is bliss?

Next is the part where they claim it's due to people asking for it, or because of the lack of participation.

If producing a better product were the end result, I'd be all for people not having to report so many bugs in the first place, as many of them shouldn't happen with proper testing, but I'm not sure that's in the cards.

Just unbelievable.

The support we could give each other when reporting, following and watching a JIRA has been lost, or at least that's how I read it. Now, you're just a voice in the wilderness. 

Linden was horrible at correcting the issues when we could watch. I have a hard time believing that the new system will be any better when done in private. 

I'm a little worried that they will forget all the outstanding issues to concentrate on only recently reported things. 

• All bugs should now be filed in the new BUG project, using the more streamlined submission form.
  • Second Life users will only see their own reported issues.  When a Bug reaches the "Been Triaged" status, they will no longer be able to add comments to their issue.
  • Once a Bug reaches the “Accepted” or “Closed” status, it will not be updated. You can watch the Release Notes to see when and if a fix has been released for your issue.
  • Existing JIRAs will remain publicly visible. We will continue to review and work through these.

Also stunned. The jira system allowed for useful communication between Lindens and residents. Will that dialogue now be removed for all new issues onwards?

When the term "streamlined" is used to mean the removal of functionality, I worry. Next they'll be saying it's all for our own good.

How in the world can we avoid duplicate JIRA's if we can only see our own bug reports? You MUST be able to check first to see if a bug has already ben reported, and if there is anything relevant that you can add to the existing report! Otherwise you'll get hundreds or even thousands of Residents reporting the same bug in slightly different ways, needlessly repeating effort and clogging the system horribly!

This isn't streamlining the process, it is lobotomizing it!

to say it in your own words pamela ...

"Did you do a search? I am pretty sure there have been a number of discussions already."

"If you do a search of this forum you will see several threads on the topic. (You can also do a Google search to find the instructions.)"

hahah ;p

edited: HAHA ;p

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Changes-to-the-jira-hiding-bug-reports/td-p/1661261

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/LL-Shutting-down-server-development-JIRA-changes/td-p/1661259

1) 

Betty Briand wrote:

to say it in your own words pamela ...

"Did you do a search? I am pretty sure there have been a number of discussions already."

"If you do a search of this forum you will see several threads on the topic. (You can also do a Google search to find the instructions.)"

hahah ;p

edited: HAHA ;p

1) I am not asking anyone to answer any question, so there is nothing for me to search for.

2) This is the only thread in the Commerce Forum.

3) Run along and play.

Pamela Galli wrote:

I don't know how to back up my builds, tho, Darrius. I think only the criminals get to do that.

I am just glad I am doing mesh now, I guess.

Guess it's time to look up into the Cloud.

I don't know either Pamela. I'm sure there are some enterprising types out there that have a way .. short of Copybotting your own stuff. (Which of course I am not recommending .. cuz that's against TOS to copy your own creations. o.O??) But I've seen devices that make mini-replicas of builds and I know there used to be a way to export a build that was entirely your own creation so .. there's gotta be a way.

I'm just glad I've been keeping off-world copies of all my scripts.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

I don't know how to back up my builds, tho, Darrius. I think only the criminals get to do that.

I am just glad I am doing mesh now, I guess.

Guess it's time to look up into the Cloud.

I don't know either Pamela. I'm sure there are some enterprising types out there that have a way .. short of Copybotting your own stuff. (Which of course I am not recommending .. cuz that's against TOS to copy your own creations.
o.O
??) But I've seen devices that make mini-replicas of builds and I know there used to be a way to export a build that was entirely your own creation so .. there's gotta be a way.

I'm just glad I've been keeping off-world copies of all my scripts.

Second Inventory (which I think changed their name to Stored Inventory two years ago after LL made another decision that sent many merchants to another Virtual World) was one commercial way to do it.  Every single piece of the build has to be created by the one uploading it, meaning no full perm textures, sculpts, animations, etc. - everything in the uploaded build has to be 100% created by the uploader.  Prior to the change two years ago, entire builds could be uploaded, including full perm items.

I've also heard people saying the Imprudence Viewer is good for backing up things. 

Pamela? The way I read Betty's comment was "LL has just made it totally impossible for anyone to do the most logical AND most reliable AND the fastest method of resolving a problem ... Look it up!" I didn't read it as her picking on you. (Just the way I took her meaning .. not sure though if that's what she truly meant.)

At any rate, It just flabbergasts me that anyone at LL could even begin to think this "improvement" will have anything other than massively negative consequences.

Growing up, one of the MOST important wisdoms I ever learned was that isolation, willful ignorance and operating n the dark are the absolute best and most reliable methods to totally ruin any chances of improving an issue. Of all the "bonehead" idirectives ssued by Linden Lab since the first packet crossed a router into SL's servers .. by far and away this one stands tallest in the forest of idiotic self-destruction. Not to mention it says beyond any doubt whatsoever that Linden Lab considers all of us PAYING CUSTOMERS as nuisances and useless burdens that must be controlled, disrespected and ignored ... even if that requires total annihilation of the business itself.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Pamela? The way I read
was "LL has just made it totally impossible for anyone to do the most logical AND most reliable AND the fastest method of resolving a problem ... Look it up!" I didn't read it as her picking on you. (Just the way I took her meaning .. not sure though if that's what she truly meant.)

At any rate, It just flabbergasts me that anyone at LL could even begin to think this "improvement" will have anything other than massively negative consequences.

Growing up, one of the MOST important wisdoms I ever learned was that isolation, willful ignorance and operating n the dark are the absolute best and most reliable methods to totally ruin any chances of improving an issue. Of all the "bonehead" idirectives ssued by Linden Lab since the first packet crossed a router into SL's servers .. by far and away this one stands tallest in the forest of idiotic self-destruction. Not to mention it says beyond any doubt whatsoever that Linden Lab considers all of us PAYING CUSTOMERS as nuisances and useless burdens that must be controlled, disrespected and ignored ... even if that requires total annihilation of the business itself.

Well we can let Betty explain herself :-)  There is resistance in some quarters to making the effort to use search to find, for example, your instructions, which took me about 15 seconds. Unimportant.

I agree this is just about the most draconian, appalling, and frightening of all that LL has ever done -- and that's saying something. 

I just hope the answer can be found in the CLOUD.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

If LL were surgeons, they'd cure an ingrown toenail by performing bilateral leg amputations and give you a nice thick pair of gloves to make it easier to walk on your hands. 

Give? GIVE?!? HAHAH!! I think they'd offer a 50% discount on them, but certainly not give them away free.

Oh .. btw .. did anyone else receive the "50% Off Premium Membership" promotional email today? Well, at least the advertising department is on top of things. They're at least going to try and sucker in as many as they can before we all discover the tiny bubbles escaping our lips are not maniacal frothing at the mouth, but are in reality the last of our air seeping out of our overtaxed lungs and floating lazily toward the surface of the swamp.

I agree. Three words describe this type of thing: Product Wind Down.

The 'product' being wound down is Second Life for people who don't understand executive lingo. I saw this coming more than a year ago. The signs have been small but EVERYWHERE. Quite simply LL execs & VCs gave up on SL.

Action I took immediately back then was beginning to spend my creative development time elsewhere & only being here to provide customer service on my existing products. This I will continue to do until the day I see LL's closing notice. Back then I also took the action Darrius now suggests as I had major investments here at the time.

So I minimized my risk. My remaining sims are somehow still self-sufficient so I keep them open. I am glad I stopped putting effort in here. It would have been such a waste to spend all this year chasing diminishing returns off the cliff this is all heading towards. You can't win the game when the gamemasters are busy trying to pack the game up & put it away.

[bTW your escape is not to the cloud LOL. Trust me that is destined to fail. Think different.]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.