Setting MP Subscription to NO-RENEW Deactivates

Toysoldier Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK I know I swore to everyone that from so many past experiences of LL MP Listing Enhancement Subscriptions being a proven waste of money (not to mention it being bug ridden - as Pamela can confirm) that I would never touch a Listing Enhancement ever again.

Well... I guess I had a temporary lapse of common sense this morning and I decided to give it at try for only 7 days HOME PAGE of my latest mesh Hummingbird pack.  I will tell you I was very nervous pressing the button to confirm its activition but I did it.  When I did, after about 5 minutes it reported that it went into ACTIVE status with a renew on January 12th.  I saw my $899L removed from my account so I know I was entitled now to 7 full days of this listing enhancement.

NOW... to ensure that it did not renew, I edited the Listing Enhancement to to "DO NOT RENEW" - no I didnt click the cancel button.  The Status changed from ACTIVE to EXPIRING.  In fact I have attached the screen of what it looked like right after I told the listing to NOT RENEW....

HomePageList-Jan5th-1week-NoRenewal.JPG

I thought it was strange that even though I only told it to NOT RENEW, LL MP would report it as expiring but I figured it was just a poor play on words.  I recorded my Sales & View count right before I started the enhancement (2 sales and 23 views of my listing).

Well 5 hours later I looked at the stats and nothing changed.  So I am suspecting that when I simply flagged the listing to NO AUTO RENEW, the MP system seems to think that the listing enhancement is now effectively cancelled and disabled.

I Turned AUTO RENEW back on for now and the status is back to ACTIVE... so i am going to see if the view count goes up.

What is anyone else's thoughts.

Howdy, Toy Dude!

I'll be interested to hear whether or not your counts go up with the enhancement back to "Active."  

Personally, I wouldn't have spent the money, but, maybe this is worth the L$899 just to conduct this experiment.  I know how you feel about having a "temporary lapse of common sense" cause I've had that a few times in SL also (not to mention real life. HA!)

As far as the enhancement showing expiring right after changing it to "Do Not Renew," I think that's probably typical and agree that it is a poor word choice to use when it isn't going to automatically renew.  

You're braver than me, Mister.  After all the troubles people have had with listings going haywire, colossal charges from Linden Lab for past "enhancements," and all the rest, I would have been way too cautious to attempt such a thing.  Listing enhancements, in MY opinion are one of the single most dangerous financial transactions one can engage in with the Lab.   

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Well 5 hours later I looked at the stats and nothing changed.  So I am suspecting that when I simply flagged the listing to NO AUTO RENEW, the MP system seems to think that the listing enhancement is now effectively cancelled and disabled.

No, that's not like that. Don't worry. They changed the way the listing enhancements report is generated a while back and now the report will not be available until the following day, so you should start to see the stats tomorrow if it's not broken. :P

I did some experiments on my subscription by clicking my listing back to NO AUTO RENEW last night.  Yes you are all correct in that the count is still going up even though the status is "EXPIRING".  So just a poor use of words.

As for my lapse in commonsense and trying out the SL Marketplace Listing Enhancements (especially in light of all the problems the enhancements were having in 2012 in not turning off) as well as the value....

From the statistics I see in the listing enhancement report - IF THEY CAN BE TRUSTED - its proving to be an utter waste of my $899L for the week.

I started the enhancement 3 days ago and the current count for my home page listing is:  146 / 467 /467  aon listing displays Day / Week / Month.  More importantly, the click through is only  0 / 6 / 6 for the same period.  In other words I have only had 6 people click on the ad since.  AND.... NO DIRECT SALES from the ad nor from its related listings.

Ohh well...

We all gotta do stupid things every once in a while :(

Well we have all our fool moments from time to time lol...

On my side it will take really long for a accept to replay the MP ads lotery...... I was already more than unhappy with it but since i know how it works really, i even prefer to keep my MP sales at low rate than burn my money for useless thing. Since ive never been happy with rl lotery, i really dont see why i should loose money on virtual one. Not my trick at all...:smileywink:

As we say in France : "i prefer one "take" than 2 "you will get"

ETA : grammar

OK Folks... to give you all an update / conclusion of my Brain Lapse idea of wasting $899L on a Marketplace Homepage Listing Enhancement.

As you all could read on my OP, decided to trigger a listing enhancement for 1 week (7 days) starting Jan 5 and ending on Jan 12.  That was 2 days ago.

Well below you will see an image clip from my listing enhancement report as it was generated a few minutes ago - JAN 14.  This is important to note when I generated the report you see below (2 days after the enhancement automatically EXPIRED):

ListingReport-Jan14-expiredJan12.JPG

And this next image will also be very important for me to explain my 2nd observation.  The image below was clipped from my MP listing enhancements status that I generated a few minutes ago - JAN 14, 2013.  Just notice that - as I had set very shortly after starting the enhancement.... I set it to expire and NOT AUTO-RENEW.

ListingStatus-Jan14.JPG

TWO OBSERVTIONS:

1. I wasted $899L for a whopping total of 8 click thrus !  This is $112L per click.  Ohh BTW - zero sales from these added 8 clicks.  So it was an expensive reminder to me why MP Listing Enhancements are useless.  Guess i needed an expensive mistake to smarten me up.
  2. So did you notice that my daily enhancements count is still climbing today - two days after it was to have expired?  Did you also notice that the Listing Enhancement Performance still shows ACTIVE?  Even though my Listing Status says its EXPIRING and should have EXPIRED JAN 12?

So my biggest fear right away was that LL's Listing Enhancement code is screwing me like it did Pamela and many others by not expiring and continuing to take $L from my account even though I clearly set it to NOT renew.  But then I looked at all my transaction history and there has been no further $899L taken from my accounts. 

So.....  if there is some small good news, it seems that LL's code screws them as much as it has screwed Merchants.  I would be real excited that LL is offering free non-request enhancement renewals except for the fact of observation #1 - they are useless.

Thought you all would like to read this update.

that means your click through rate is at the lower end of a run of the mill site - you'd like to hope that slm could have been considered a high affinity site though.

according to the wiki, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click-through_rate

(sorry about the code thing but it won't let me post the exerpt as normal text)

Click-through rates for banner ads have fallen over time. 
When banner ads first started to appear, it was not
uncommon to have rates above five percent.
They have fallen since then, currently averaging
closer to 0.2 or 0.3 percent.
In most cases, a 2% click-through rate would be
considered very successful, though the exact number
is hotly debated and would vary depending on the situation.
The average click-through rate of 3% in the 1990s declined
to 0.1%-0.3% by 2011.
Since advertisers typically pay more for a high click-through
rate, getting many click-throughs with few purchases is
undesirable to advertisers.
Similarly, by selecting an appropriate advertising site
with high affinity (e.g., a movie magazine for a movie
advertisement), the same banner can achieve a substantially
higher CTR.

For me the bottom line is that I really have no convenient way to compare data for something with and without an enhancement.  Buying one is based on just a guess. I ended up doing a lot of advertising on Xstreet because I would just pay for those that would reliably pay their way (which moslty would mean one sale). But it is hard to justify doing it on SLM, given the current state of service. There are other places to advertise that begin to look more attractive.

Pamela Galli wrote:

For me the bottom line is that I really have no convenient way to compare data for something with and without an enhancement.  Buying one is based on just a guess. I ended up doing a lot of advertising on Xstreet because I would just pay for those that would reliably pay their way (which moslty would mean one sale). But it is hard to justify doing it on SLM, given the current state of service. There are other places to advertise that begin to look more attractive.

^^^ This

This is the exact reason that I am so frustrated and disgusted with the Marketplace Dev Team's behavior. The math and code necessary to provide details on Click-Thrus and "Conversions" (people who purchase after clicking on an ad) is not only extremely simplistic, it's my observation that it's ALREADY IN THE CODE! However they have decided to hide this information from the Merchants rather than presenting it. So they have actively blocked vital information rather than just not having the wherewithal to make it available.

And that's just WRONG!

Well, Toysoldier, it sounds like you are the lucky winner of free ad now hhehehhehehe..... 

As i said some weeks ago in the forum, ive been a lucky winner for smthing like at least 8 weeks (probably even more !)...Sounds like a this period they didnt had enough ad to display in my category and so they reactivated one i bought this summer (when happened a mess with ad billiing, but mine didnt have been billed several times, it just hasnt been displayed at all) and well they kept it active for looong weeks...what i wont complain about of course but was extremly funny....:smileyvery-happy:

• 3 weeks later...

AN UPDATE on my January 5th  "1 WEEK ONLY" Home Page Listing Enhancement Subscription - a month after I created it and where it was supposed to expire after 7 days.

As you all recall, I showed that days after the Jan 11th expire date came and went, it appeared that my listing enhancement was stuck into permanent "expiring" mode but still active.  Also, thankfully LL was RIGHTFULLY not charging me for a continued service that I clearly requested to expire after the first 7 days.

So before I show you the current status of this long expired listing enhancement I want to point out that I could just shut my mouth and quietly enjoy one of the rare bugs in MP that actually benefits the Merchant.... but as you will also see, I will show just how ineffective the listing enhancements are for Merchants to spend money of to get their product known....

Below you will see a snapshot my listing enhancement subscription status:

ExpiredListingEnhancement-1.JPG

So my homepage listing in the past 29 days has supposedly had 5807 homepge impressions (that comes to about 200 per day).  You can also see that in the past 29 days my listing enhancement has only had 17 click throughs!  That equates to about 0.6 click thrus per day or 4.1 click thrus through what would have been the 7 days that I paid $899L for the pleasure.  I dont know about you all, but to pay $899L for 4 interested click thrus???  Dont seem like a great deal to me.

Thankfully, thanks to one of LL's countless unresolved MP bugs, my $899L investment has been stretched to a month with no sign of expiring (not that I would cry if it ended as it has generated zero sales). You can clearly see that the enhancement has not stopped even though the next image shows that it should have expired prior to the next billing of Jan 12 but its still in expiring mode.

ExpiredListingEnhancement-2.JPG

Now, I would not recommend this as we all dont know exactly what the trick is that would allow a Merchant to exploit the MP bug to receive a never-expiring Listing Enhancement, but I can see some Merchants taking a shot at it in hopes that the roulette wheel ends up lucky for them like it has for my enhancement.  Take your own risk if you are stuck with a listing enhancement that is forever stuck charging you for enhancements you wanted ended or were lucky like me and got an enhnacement that wont expire but the MP system is not charging (which they shouldnt be).

Couldbe Yue wrote:

I swear I'm going to set up a fan club for you.  I can't be the only one who adores your posts.

LOL -- What did I do right?

As for your next post's question on being able to "EDIT" the subscription.... I was nervous to play with what was working in MP's "broke" mode, but I clicked it FOR YOU.  Here are the options that show up (of which I did not try ANY of the options to see what would happen)..... 

Notice that one option is to "DELETE" enhancement... and Nope I am not going to press it.  I already did my job regarding this listing enhancement by telling them that I DO NOT want the subscription to auto-renew. 

If this is the bug that a listing enhancement can only stop being active if its deleted then that is 100% a coding error. 

I assume from this "DELETE" option that LL is offering the feature that a listing enhancement can be made NOT ACTIVE but not deleted in case the Merchant might in the future want to re-engage it (as the options also seem to indicate).  But if deleting an enhancement is the only work-around to a bug that benefits me ---- its not my place to press it :)

Subscription-EditOptions.JPG

I'm with you on the enhancement, that's their lookout but can you actually update your listing? (add keywords, re do your description etc)  the code should be separate so it shouldn't impact but these guys are so woeful that it's possible they've broken something as a sideline

Hehehheeh, i fully, really fully understand your delight right now :smileyvery-happy:. Exactly the same happened to me this autumn.. and it lasted for 8 weeks at least !!! Well for one time a SL bug is at the users benefit, indeed we wont yell hehehehhehehe...

For some 8 weeks or more ive been wondering if the MP was lacking so much of paid ads (well in my case it was impossible, since it was in the woman clothing category and there is never lack of ads there) for they keep my item in the ad like this lol....

And on top, the most weird was that for this time the pot luck was always succefull bec whenever i was looking at this category my ad was always displayed... well, it was like a doble jackpot hahhahahhaha...

And yes... after all we have to suffer from the bad managing of the market place, when such things happens this is just funny and so delightful :smileywink:.... Its just like the hunter itself is trapped.... and so ironic !!!...

But well, i wont try again to see if ill be lucky again... im usually not lucky lol and its already awesome that this happened to me hahhahahha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.