Question about building .

Darkness Neiro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Size, you'll have to look at the store. One that calls a store large, may be medium by another builder. As for height, usually 8-10 meters has been the SL norm but, with more avis going shorter and more realistic, I'm seeing 7-8 meters high. A lot depends on the build. If you are looking on the MP, be sure you can see inworld as well to get a true look at the size.

There is ongoing discussion about building to realistic scale in Second Life. There are a few things working against using real life sizes. One is the default camera position. Check this article to get started with that topic: Second Life Camera Position Tips.

There is an old bug in the Appearance Editor. The problem is in the height of the avatar. It is miss reported. Setting height to 6-0ft actually makes the avatar 6'-4" or something like that. While that sounds like a small error to me, it has had a significant affect on SL.

I consider Penny Patton the leader in this discussion. She has a region where she has built to RL scale. She points out one can get way more stuff  in a region when one deals with camera position and scale. She walks her talk.

Another fan of building to scale is Jo Yardley, the owner of 1920's Berlin. Jo has been rebuilding her region to be to scale so that ir looks correct to avatars viewing the world via Oculus Rift, the VR Headset reviving virtual worlds.

I think another significant point to consider is the coming Next Generation Platform (NGP), which I usually call SL 2.0. I expect it to be much more Oculus Friendly. I think that means people using/playing in NGP will be much more sensitive to scale. If a building has a floor to ceiling height of more than 10ft or 3m it is going to look like a cathedral. Avatars that are 7ft tall will look like giants.

I have to laugh when people talk about RL sizes for avatars in SL. In reality we are about 6 inches tall depending on size of screen. So your preference of being 5 inches tall or 6 inches or 8 inches tall in my opinion is purely aesthetic. Anyone choosing either extreme (tall or short) causes problems when dealing with couple animations. As we've all seen women dancing with their feet far off the floor, which to me is a rather ridiculous image. They will indignantly defend their height as "this is my REAL height in the real world" . I say leave RL life height measuring in RL, this is SL with our own world of measurements and aesthetics.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.