Merchants with Account Age based Instant boot security

Artorius Constantine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just because an account is "New" doesn't mean the owner is.

I restarted with a new account for my new Mesh body. Mostly so I wouldn't have 40k plus unusable items in my clothing folder. Secondly because after 8 years on this avatar and even longer on my main, my inventory was huge and unmanageable. I love to spend my Lindens lol.

As I'm poping arond to look at things for the new account I was TP'ed home Instamtly at least 10 times for being "underage".

A store that kicks out shoppers without even a warning? Then another, and another, and another!

One place at least gave me 15 seconds then sent me a note saying "Thanks for leaving without the use of force, Come back when you have more SL experiance" WTF? I need experiance to shop? I have money, usuaually that's all you need to go shopping.

Why the hatred to new players and instant TP's? I thoiught LL TOS stated security devices had to give a warning then enough time for someone to TP out. Not just TP you home instantly with a laugh.

If you have one of these systems I can guarantee I will never shop at your store again. BIG Mistake, I love to spend money!

Artorius Constantine wrote:

I restarted with a new account for my new Mesh body. Mostly so I wouldn't have 40k plus unusable items in my clothing folder. Secondly because after 8 years on this avatar and even longer on my main, my inventory was huge and unmanageable. I love to spend my Lindens lol.

As I'm poping arond to look at things for the new account I was TP'ed home Instamtly at least 10 times for being "underage".

A store that kicks out shoppers without even a warning? Then another, and another, and another!

One place at least gave me 15 seconds then sent me a note saying "Thanks for leaving without the use of force, Come back when you have more SL experiance" WTF? I need experiance to shop? I have money, usuaually that's all you need to go shopping.

Why the hatred to new players and instant TP's?

<snip>

It sucks that the many have to suffer because of the crimes of the few.  But perhaps if you'd ever had to deal with those crimes yourself you'd be a little more understanding and patient.

<snip>

I thoiught LL TOS stated security devices had to give a warning then enough time for someone to TP out. Not just TP you home instantly with a laugh.

</snip>

I keep hearing people say this and have no idea where they get this idea.  There is no such animal like this in the TOS.

Perrie Juran wrote:

<snip>

It sucks that the many have to suffer because of the crimes of the few.  But perhaps if you'd ever had to deal with those crimes yourself you'd be a little more understanding and patient.

<snip>

I thoiught LL TOS stated security devices had to give a warning then enough time for someone to TP out. Not just TP you home instantly with a laugh.

</snip>

I keep hearing people say this and have no idea where they get this idea.  There is no such animal like this in the TOS.

For scripted security devices the Wiki says:

Script Use

You can use scripted objects to enhance your land ownership tools. Generally, such scripts should:

Provide adequate warning to the undesired Resident.

But if you have your land settings to eject for being underage, it just ejects., or denies entry.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

</snip>

For scripted security devices the Wiki says:

Script Use

You can use scripted objects to enhance your land ownership tools. Generally, such scripts should:

Provide adequate warning to the undesired Resident.

But if you have your land settings to eject for being underage, it just ejects., or denies entry.

Thank you.  Though I'm not sure if the Knowledge Base carries the same weight as the TOS.

The use of the word "Generally" leaves that whole idea as optional.  That is it reads as, "This is not the law but a good idea, something that we suggest."

But at least now I know where people are getting the idea that it's the TOS.

ETA:  I do agree with and support the idea of an adequate warning time.  Personally I believe it is the right thing to do.  However I do not believe I have a right to it.

I remembered reading that security timing bit somewhere from back when I was  Land Baron. Good to know where that came from. The wording is definitely open and we all know how well LL enforces even the strict rules. =P

I also agree that no one has a right to not being instantly ejected, this is SL, you have no rights, but I  don't have to spend my money there.

I hate pop-ups and greeters too but everyone has them, well everyone but me. I sell one and it's running off in a corner so it won't bother everyone when they TP in. One store I stopped at had no less than 8 pop-ups.I popped out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most merchants that do this do it because they've been griefed. Most persistent griefers use throw-away accounts that are less than a week old so by setting their land to either reject less than X days old or want payment info on file, they keep the griefers away.  

Trust me, a griefer can do massive damage. I've seen some RP sims that have had half their buildings returned when the prims fill up since random items get returned rather than a last rezzed first returned. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would worry that most griefers would just wait the week or 30 days and then go back and do even worse damage because now they are angry that the person tried to thwart their griefing.  I wish there was a better way to keep them out that didn't potentionally damage relations with potential customers. 

Honest to goodness new people to SL wouldn't even understand why it was happening unless the device specifically tells them why they are being teleported home.  Just saying they need to leave because they are under a certain age will baffle most people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.