Mass Rename + Texture?

ThunderBluff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, the title basically says it all. Do any of you know of a script that can automatically rename specific prims/mesh you put the script into? For example, if you are editing a lot of clothes in-world with different sizes - such as XXS - XS - S and so on. So you can name it anything "Test Object", it'll rename all of the mesh clothing that certain name and leave the sizes in-tact at the end with it's new name?

I'm sure you can relate to how tiring and time cosuming it is to do it manually, so if you can suggest any scripts or tips - your help would be appreciated!

ThunderBluff wrote:

Hey guys, the title basically says it all. Do any of you know of a script that can automatically rename specific prims/mesh you put the script into? For example, if you are editing a lot of clothes in-world with different sizes - such as XXS - XS - S and so on. So you can name it anything "Test Object", it'll rename all of the mesh clothing that certain name and leave the sizes in-tact at the end with it's new name?

I'm sure you can relate to how tiring and time cosuming it is to do it manually, so if you can suggest any scripts or tips - your help would be appreciated!

Well, you see ... that's the problem. There isn't an LSL Script function that can change the name of an item in an object's Inventory. So having a script rename a texture ain't gonna happen. You can write a script that will change the name of the Object it lives within, but then where does that name come from? What you type into chat?

Have you studied Kung-Fu Tai-Chi Copy-n-Paste?

Oh yes, I know you can't use LSL scripts in your inventory, I meant, is there a script out there where I can dedicate clothing sizes to while changing the name, for example one script is "XXS" size, so when I drop it into all the XXS sized clothing I want to rename, it'll enter the name I want on a mass-scale to all of those clothes, but keep the "XXS" tag at the end or any other size I enter/use. Sometimes there's just too much to name.

Not that exists currently .. that I know of. But the finesse is in the way it works, right? So how about this?

1) Whatever name you give the script, when you drop it into an object it will make sure its own script name is the last word(s) on the end of the Object Name. If they are not the last word(s) then it will rename the Object to make it true.

2) After renaming the Object if necessary, the script will self-delete so there's nothing left. The only remaining trace will be a properly named Object.

3) To create a new tail or ending, just copy the script in your Inventory, rename it to the desire word or phrase .. then start dropping it into Objects you want to standardize.

Will that work for ya?

ETA: Set up to deliver to you about 5 minutes after you log in to SL. Let me know if that handles it .. k?

Hi, I have a custom built scripts (I paid a scripter to do it for me) but the workflow is a bit different,

but it works great for my needs.

Basically I do not drop the items i want to rename into it,

I just link them all (we are talking about prims or meshes to be renamed obviously) and i drop the script in the linkset.

Then I get a menu with options to rename, replace or add a particular string to the name(s).

It shows up a preview of the renaming I will get, asking for confirmation.

When done, the script asks if it's good to delete itself. It's really fast, it takes few seconds.

At this point I just unlink them all and they all perfectly renamed without human error.

Big time saver!

Maybe try to ask into a freelancer scripters group.

I'm sure someone is available to create a script  fitting your exact needs, for few thousands L$.

I like that concept even better. Yup, more proof that time and brain-power are the real universal solvents.

I made the script I mentioned and gave it for free to ThunderBluff. (My habit is to give the idea maker a lifetime free copy.) Assuming I find some free time, I might haul off and work up a version of the method you describe too. It makes sense and the way it works really does appear to save a lot of time.

Hmm .. what if it also rezzes a selection of boxes, then copies selected items from its own inventory into each of the boxes? You could toss a pile of stuff in a prim, drop in the script and then stand back as it rezzes boxes, packs them and puts the right subset of items in each.

Yup .. got me thinking again .. daggone it! LOL

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.