Marketplace Update: March 2011

Brooke Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

but more importantly is the big concern I have that the LL commerce team will be deploying AIS (whatever it stands for) with no flexibility to TAKE INVENTORY from a Merchant configured target Avatar or alternate inventory other than the merchants main personal inventory.

IF LL Development has some real ARCHITECTURE THINKING ppl on staff as opposed to a team that just writes code to solve a specific perceived problem (as they are doing now), then they would have developed an architected solution that would be moreso SERVICE ORIENTED ARCHITECTURE.

As such, the new AIS module of code should have a standard input / output interface that would allow LL the ability to take the SLM items from any inventory, like:

• The Merchant's Main Personal inventory (the way they are currently heading)
  • A Mechant's future 2ndary or alternate Inventory (something that currently does not exist in SL's data model)
  • The Main Inventory of an Avatar account other than the Merchant's main account (as configured by the Merchant)
  • The content of any designated Rezzed object as selected by the Merchant (uhmm like perhaps a MAGICBOX?)

This AIS design would be much more flexible and provide LL with a lot more future flexibility - even though right now they see no value in this flexibility.

Sadly, I have watch how LL comes up with designs and solutions in the past 3+ years and this type of Strategic Solution Designing from LL is a foreign concept to them.  They fit 100% into a typical Startup Company with no mature enterprise classed systems/software design methodologies and planning.  Their solutions are the SHOOT FROM THE HIP.  They write solutions to solve specific problems and do not look beyond the immediate pains.

So.... I doubt the AIS will be written the way it should be.  Lets look back at this posting in a few months to see if I was right.

(Little techie-builder note ...)

When you apply a texture to the face of an object (such as the floatie thingie inside the 8-Ball), you need to use the "Select Texture" option then click on each side one at a time. Otherwise the Texture you assign (for example the one that says "Yes") winds up on every side.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.