Marketplace Search Issues

Dakota Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's utterly crazy.

The best selling results are more like those you would expect from the old nihilistic Bizarro Superman world - the absolute opposite of what it claims.

Good thing I have a resilent sense of humour and some of the oldies shown do raise nostalgic memories .

We seem to have a marketplace search algorithm that's high on digital crack!

^L^

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more frustrating, the issue with Best Selling sort being inaccurate and nonsensical was brought up repeatedly during the BETA.  If you look back at the feedback thread, numerous people had the same issue as we do now, only now it's live. From what I can see, the first 12 in the best selling sort are most recently sold; after that it devolves into a mish mash of older products.

Dakota,

Please, this new search really wasn't ready for prime time.  It really should be rolled back until these issues and the others pointed out in a variety of threads are fixed. 

Since i dont see anyone really talking about the problem about adding demos to your products etc i was wondering if there was a work around. im currently waiting for this issue to be fixed but its taking a while and would really start uploading new items, but would rather not do this without an attached demo version.

if anyone has any tips or work around on how to include it on your items page i would be very grateful!

Can we please Have a briefing ?2 days have past and nothing is done, we are trapped ,can not add new items on our store since we cant relate them with the demos ,old items that have been deleted showing in our stores it is a mess !

• Lindens

Hi!
Sorry for the few days of silence from our side - we've been trying to figure out the cause of these issues and our plan of action. Thank you for providing us with the additional information!

What do we see going on?

- Items are ghosting (deleted listings coming back). New listings are sometimes missing.
Fix: We need to do a reindex of the entire SL Marketplace.

- Related & demo products can't be associated, affecting listings from ~July forward.
Fix: It's a straight up bug and we have a fix, planning to roll out tomorrow if it passes QA.

- Best selling sort, inexplicable boost for some unrelated items, other ranking & boost issues:
This one is a multi-part issue. We have a fix for one part of it, also rolling out tomorrow. Once we've got the other issues cleared, we'll be able to better investigate this and see what else may have been obscured by the bigger problems.

- But we had Beta Search running for so long, how did we not catch this before release?
Good question! Part of the answer is that because Beta Search was running in parallel with the old search, we had to construct some mechanisms to allow for that, which unfortunately obscured these issues. We didn't realize, for example, how often the parity jobs (ones that updated the index from production to beta) were failing, so we didn't see that a full reindex should have happened before we rolled over to the new search as default.

We're paying attention to your reports, and will be going back to verify which of the issues have not been resolved once the reindex is complete and we roll out the fixes we have so far. Please bear with us while we clean up this spill...

• Moderators

Lasher Oh wrote:

Hi Dakota - Overnight my marketplace page has decided that I'm not an Adult. I always have my maturity setting selected to "General, Moderate, Adult" Now it tells me I'm only eligible for General. Whenever I try to reset the setting it partially works for the page I am on IE I see the item (my own by the way) but it won't show me the other adult related items bottom of page. To compound the problem, after changing the setting to the full monty, when I navigate to the Marketplace Main Home page my adult settings revert back to General.

It's a pain in the you know where and makes editing my own adult listings double troublesome.

As I said, this is an overnight problem and I'm pretty sure sure it is connected to the ongoing new search disaster. Can I kindly request that that you ask the dev team to roll back search to the original until they can figure out 'what the heck is going on"

^L^

Hello Lasher Oh.

Maturity Ratings issues are not affected by the current search issues.

Please try clearing your browsers cache and any Second Life cookies that may exist, then log back into the Marketplace web site and try your search again.

If you continue to have issues, please create a Support Case and we will be able to research the issue further.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Even more frustrating, the issue with Best Selling sort being inaccurate and nonsensical was brought up repeatedly during the BETA.  If you look back at the feedback thread, numerous people had the same issue as we do now, only now it's live. From what I can see, the first 12 in the best selling sort are most recently sold; after that it devolves into a mish mash of older products.

Dakota,

Please, this new search really wasn't ready for prime time.  It really should be rolled back until these issues and the others pointed out in a variety of threads are fixed. 

See, I don't even get the first 12, or any as actually being the most recently sold, lol. In fact, the first few are ones that have *never* sold. After that, a few have sold here and there, and the remainder of the search between the top 9-ish and the bottom 9 are a mix of sales numbers. Some of my best selling, are dead last, while others are sprinkled about in the results, lol. 

New observation,

Yesterday I monitored unrelated keyword search results sneaking into indices, they could be seen if sorting the list by "Age: Newest first".

For instance, searching for "dress", sorted by "Newest first" would show boots and nails - and there would be no a word of dress under source code of the pages representing goods.

Thanks Dakota - I gave the Cache a good flushing and in addition I did an actual search with my preferred ratings. After I did that the pesky 'general' went  back in the box, and my full maturity setting are now glued back in. All is well again :-)

^L^

• Moderators

Lasher Oh wrote:

Thanks Dakota - I gave the Cache a good flushing and in addition I did an actual search with my preferred ratings. After I did that the pesky 'general' went  back in the box, and my full maturity setting are now glued back in. All is well again :-)

^L^

Hi Lasher!  

Thank you for the update letting me know that the issue was resolved with clearing the cache and cookies.  

My experiental with the news in MP:

~ from changing Day my sales are down. The badest Days I ever had in all the years

~ yesterday I drop new Items at MP in my Shop and if I used "related Items" as Category was 10 % from all my Stuff with the names I knew before in my list. I try other words from the names of the stuff and got zero Items in List

This 2 Parts are so important for Merchants and I hope all will change soon or fix fast.

I was realy shocked the last days but the most problem was to see how bad the "related Items" in this part works

All I had in mind was - if I have problems to find my own Stuff in my store - how see this the customers? And if this Problem is the Issue of all why I sell nothing the last days ... be very unhappy

Kind regards, Caren Jewell

Hello Dakota..

just you know that the problem looks to fixed..

i try to clear my browser cache and after this i refresh my page and my delete and unlisted items dissapeard from the MP Page..i think now is ok all.

For any other problem i will contact you.

Thanks you very much for your help :)

bee Tizzy

• Lindens

Good evening!

We've reindexed the entire marketplace, which, we believe, should resolve any ghosting issues and missing new listings. 

We belive we've fixed the problem with related listings as well.

We've addressed a small issue giving a surprising boost to some listings.  

We've also fixed ANS notifications for real now. 

Hopefully, this will address the most pressing problems and get everyone through the weekend in good shape.  We don't expect that these fixes would have addressed other issues with Best Selling sort.  We'll get back to those on Monday.

Thank you!

As one of the early reporters of this problem, I can confirm that 'Quick Fill' and 'Related Items' are functioning as normal. I see you must have been burning the midnight oil to get this sorted, many thanks to you and the team for getting on top of it before the weekend. Have a good one!

Ray Silent wrote:

New observation,

For instance,
searching for "dress", sorted by "Newest first"
would show
boots
and
nails
- and there would be
no a word of dress
under source code of the pages representing goods.

That's probably the quick-flll bug. I thought it had been fixed by now but it hasn't.

What happens is that if you use the quick-fill or the bulk edit functions, any keywords you have will be copied into the various language fields and not be changed even if you edit the listing manually afterwards.

Tari Landar wrote:

Relevance, I'm still uncertain what effect it has, as it's not even always the same results and never has been(not that I'd expect it to, but for it to change, as frequently as it does, makes absolutely no sense at all, lol).

I haven't really had time to look at the search algorithm yet. But...

(Edit: Removed detailed description how to manipulate search ranking :P )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.