Marketplace Non-Deliveries are Back

Scout Schwager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the last several days, I've made several marketplace orders each day. About 40% of those orders are non-deliveries. I haven't been sweating it, as they seemed to have the

[quote]1 item failed with the error: Second Life communications timeout This item wasn't delivered - No charge for undelivered items[/quote]

Worked out. Since the 29th though, 50% non-delivery, and No "undelivered' message.

Oh sure, I can file a complaint something for each one..What a Pain in the butt!

See how long you would last in the RL with an e-commerce system like this.

I just checked my orders and there has only been 1 undelivered in the past week, prior to the 29th and that order had the full 10 items in it, which historically has been causing issues for some reason. The rest of my orders have all been delivered. I'm sorry, but for clarification, are these your purchases from different merchants or your sales?

Agreed! I'm sorry to hear you are having such issies! I have to ask, though, just to make sure... have you checked your Received Items folder as well as your Objects folder or do the purchases in your order history state them as undelivered? Just making sure you are aware of how some items are delivered due to DD now.

I put int two orders this weekend...on the first order only one item was delivered. On the second order, no items were delivered. I have attempted to contact all merchants. At this time, two haven't yet responded; meaning about $L500 of items have not been delivered to me. I put in a support issue but most of us know, that's not effective. Hopefully, at least one of these merchants will be back before the weekend since they participate in one of the weekend sales.

Just to be clear, are these magic box or Direct Delivery?

Magic Box delivery issues never went away so it's not like they've "come back".

You'll get no sympathy from LL about it either since the past year has been solely focussed on one issue, Direct Delivery so unless the delivery failure is around Direct Delivery, move on.

You can tell if an item has been migrated to DD.  It has the details on whether the product is ready to use or needs unboxing on the right hand side.  If there's an issue with a DD delivery then you'll have an ear from LL if it doesn't deliver, otherwise, not ever worth a moment to mention it.

This could very well be what I'm talking about when I say that deliveries are silently failing. As merchants, we have no idea that you tried to purchase something from us and it failed. Instead, all we do is see our daily profits significantly lower for no appearant reason, and LL not saying anything to us.

If orders are timing out from being delivered from a magic box, it's really strong evidence for my theory that magic boxes are actually broken but you don't see it from the merchant perspective.

Why?

Magic Boxes work like this.

An LSL script makes requests to the SLMP website to let it know what's inside of it, so it's registered on the website.

When a customer buys something on the SLMP website, it contacts the Magic Box script and tells it to send an object to the person who purchased it. If that script is too busy, the sim is too laggy, the server backbone between the website and the simulator is overloaded, or there's a bug, it just never makes it there. From a merchant's perspective, you have no idea the transaction failed because any means to contact you have failed.

What we really need as merchants is a tool that lets us know when a sale fails. I am thinking a system that when a sale is attempted, it puts a message in a wait list of messages to be sent for a specific amount of time. When a sale goes through, it deletes that message from the queue and doesn't send it. If the final sale never goes through (site timed out, backbone is broken, etc) it eventually emails you and lets you know that there's an issue.

When marketplace performs like this, no one is happy. Customers don't get what they want and merchants see sales dip down and they end up coming up with conspiracy theories about why it's not working. If you depend on SL income for real world expenses, it's quite scary to see your sales drop down by a significant amount of money for a few days or weeks and to have no one tell you anything.

If we had an ANS that worked for failed transactions, we could at least write LSL scripts that IMed users and let them know that there was a problem with marketplace and they could buy it in world or they could try later or they could contact the merchant if something goes wrong.

Almost 3.5 million items have been posted to XStreet and SLMP, I don't expect it to work perfectly all the time and a complex piece of software like this shouldn't work 100% perfect all the time, it's unreasonable to expect that. Windows, OSX, Android, Linux, iOS all don't operate 100% bug free and 100% secure at all times and there are plenty of security issues and bugs with web applications like Facebook.

Merchants need better tools to know when things are broken or not working properly so they can fix them themselves if they want to. When a transaction fails like this, we have nothing. We don't even know it's failing. The amount of people who contact a merchant when something goes wrong is extremely low. I would estimate it's in the 1% to 10% range given the 1% rule. If you're interested there's a wikipedia page on it and it explains why you sell lots of items and get barely any reviews, this is why. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_%28Internet_culture%29

Scout Schwager wrote:

See how long you would last in the RL with an e-commerce system like this.

This system is not comparable with any e-commerce platform, because real e-commerce websites work pretty well and they are reliable. However, this what they call "e-commerce" cannot be taken seriously. It's just a weak system with countless major bugs without any service stability plus a bunch of non-experts working on it. So what do you expect ? :) It's like you compare a Porsche with a playmobil car.. And the Lindens are the kids who are playing with that playmobil car with no idea what they are doing...

Reply to Scout Schwager - view message

01-05-2012 08:08 PM

I think I may start using Paypal/MC/Visa to make purchases. Then I will have proper dispute procedures.

for some reason the quote button errors when i try to quote this..  sigh

I haven't heard of anything recently but back in the day when people were being double billed for a months tier etc people had said that they tried to put a dispute in with their card provider and LL used to suspend the account until you withdrew it.

Now this may have been a scurrillous rumour put around by various people down the years but on the past performance we've seen I wouldn't put it past them.  They are so capricious that even I got scared when trying to link a couple of accounts to my main name as I had over the allotted number and you can never tell when they'll go do something ott like cancelling them.  The lesson I've taken from their behaviour down the years is that when money (be it usd or lindens) are concerned, once they've got it they'll never give it back - no matter if they didn't actually give you anything in return for the transaction except heartache.

There, delivery to objects folder which means that its a magic box delivery method.

As I stated earlier, there will be no interest from LL here as the response will be to suggest that the merchant use direct delivery, which all will have to change to anyway.

Magic box delivery failures are not back, they never went away.

Usual solution here, contact the merchant or if that fails, open a support case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.