Market Place GATCHA spam

Sablisk Sloat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there any way to filter out all this GATCHA spam ?

Page after page after page of people trying to resell the same items has rendered MP nearly unusable for a guy who just simply wants to find something nice for his partner.

Seems every time i look at market place GATCHA spam is more pervasive and takes longer to weed through

I guess this is one way to bring back in world shopping, but its become seriously annoying.

Is there some way to filter it out of search results ?

Or....

Maybe limit all GATCHA items to the 'used item' category ?  After-all it is second hand stuff

Unfortunately that is a common problem. There are quite few serious gacha resellers but also many who don't understand the basics of good marketing. So you get keyword spamming and items in misplaced categories on MP and massive group spamming inworld. :(

The only advice I can give is keep flagging ToS violating listings on MP (and AR inworld spam). Maybe eventually LL eventually realizes it's easier for them to deal with the root problem rather than process all those complaints.

One thing that may help, dependent on what you are looking for, is to search for only copy/mod items (and remove transfer).

Once you have done your search - on the left hand side you can scroll down and then refine search with permissions, ticking  Copy (and Mod if needed).

Gacha items are mostly transfer. It will take them out of the search results. Not ideal if you are actually looking for a transfer item, but for general clothing, furniture, houses etc there would be many that are copy / non transfer.

Doesn't solve the original issue, but may help for specific searching.

Thank you Charlotte

While not really a solution it is a very effective and simple work around because other then some of the nicer jewlery (that will still be a problem) and those incredibly anoying Gashca items, almost nothing is transfer these days

(Believe it or not I have been in SL nearly a decade and this is the first thing that has frustrated me enough to actually post about)

Was hoping for a solution but I feel a bit silly for not thinking of that work around myself

• 2 weeks later...

I feel with you there. Try to add 'NOT gatcha' and 'NOT gacha' to your search terms (Second one is the right spelling btw, but it´s spelled gatcha wrongly often (see your OP, and I'm pretty sure I typed it your way some times too ;))

And while gacha can be fun, I agree, there should be an extra category for them, or even several, sorted to common, rare etc.

• 9 months later...

Let me stop you there in your tracks:

"California’s gambling device statutes are broad in their coverage and prohibit any person from
owning, renting, or possessing illegal gambling devices. (Penal Code, §§ 330a, 330b, 330.1.) An illegal
gambling device has three features:

1. It is a machine, apparatus, or device (coin operation is not required);
2. Something of value is given to play the device; and
3. The player has the opportunity to receive something of value by any element of hazard or chance
(“something of value” is not limited to coins, bills, or tokens—it also includes free replays, additional playing time, redemption tickets, gift cards, game credits, or anything else with a value, monetary or otherwise.) (Penal Code, §§ 330a, 330b & 330.1.)
In addition, if a device can readily be converted to have the features of an illegal gambling device, (as listed in 1, 2, and 3 above), it is an illegal device. (Penal Code, § 330b(d).)

Devices that fall within the definition of an illegal gambling device above may nevertheless qualify for the “pinball” or “amusement device” exception if they meet the narrow requirements set forth in the provisions of Penal Code section 330b, subdivision (f), and section 330.5. A gaming device qualifies for the amusement device exception, and therefore is lawful, if it:
1. Provides an opportunity to win nothing other than additional or free play; and
2. Is predominantly a game of skill. A lawful device is one that is predominately a game of skill (as are most arcade pinball machines), on which what can be won is limited to additional chances or free plays. If, however, the
player has paid to play and can win something other than additional plays, such as food, toys, or other prizes, the machine does not qualify for the amusement device exception and is an illegal gambling device. As an additional example, a coin pusher is an illegal gambling device, whether or not it purports to have an element of skill, because the player can win coins by playing."

Now, a gatcha device is based upon hazar/luck/chance which requires a value to be played (yes, value as you can obtain lindens with real money and those lindens can be converted into real money) operated by a software (in this case a script that determine in which percentage you get something from the device (highly prohibited by the Californian Gambling Law as it can be adapted and alter the output of the device)) and gives you something back of value (item -> sale on marketplace or through gatcha channels for lindens which can be turned out into real money)

As Linden Labs is based in California, such they also fall under these laws, such Gatcha's can be not only considered as gambling but even illegal gambling.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Dorientje Woller wrote:

It's gambling

Let me stop you right there - no, it's not gambling as LL defines it.

Since the rest of your post is based on this faulty assumption it can be safely discarded. Feel free to
in order to post more accurately in future.

But we do need to remember that Federal, State and other Country's laws will trump LL's rules.  While LL can be more restrictive they can not be less restrictive.

It's an interesting take Dorientje has on this.  Reading the California statutes certainly is making me wonder about their legality under California law. But I am not a lawyer.  The "Gatchas" could be a thing that LL did not consider when they updated the skill game policies.

Wrong, they are based on a script like the previous sploders in SL, that determined the outcome. With a gumball machine you know you get a gumball or a toy. Worse, that script can be adapted such the outcome is being altered (chance of getting a rare item). Following the definition of the Californian Gambling law, and understanding this, a gatcha device has every feature of an illigal gambling device, no matter what for twist you are willing to give it.

I always thought of gumballs and lucky dip as you pay for something and the something will be one of whatever. You get an item for your money. In some cases, you accept that you have less choice in return for a reduced price.

Gachas can be like that. I know I've bought from a few where I was happy to get the item for the low price and wasn't fussed about which colour or thought twice the low price was still a bargain in case I got the one colour I didn't fancy on the first go.

Would you still call that gambling? I'm not defending gachas, just pointing out that they are used in different ways and some may be more akin to conventional gambling than others. Or are all gachas and gumball machines necessarily bad because they can be used badly?

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

I always thought of gumballs and lucky dip as you pay for something and the something will be one of whatever. You get an item for your money. In some cases, you accept that you have less choice in return for a reduced price.

Gachas
can
be like that. I know I've bought from a few where I was happy to get the item for the low price and wasn't fussed about which colour or thought twice the low price was still a bargain in case I got the one colour I didn't fancy on the first go.

Would you still call that gambling? I'm not defending gachas, just pointing out that they are used in different ways and some may be more akin to conventional gambling than others. Or are all gachas and gumball machines necessarily bad because they can be used badly?

I guess then IRL even a simple Gumball Machine could be considered gambling.  After all, what are the odds that I will get the color gumball I want?

Dorientje Woller wrote:

3. The player has the opportunity to receive something of value
by any element of hazard or chance

This - by my reading - is where the charge falls down. Gatchas don't involve hazard or chance, you get a straight 1:1 exchange, money for goods. You always receive 1 item for 1 play. The only complaint I can see is that the goods are "random", as in contents may vary. I can't see contents may vary as being a reasonable case for something to be gambling. This is further exemplified by Perrie's gumball analogy.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I live in California. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to whomever LL paid to avoid lawsuits and punitive measures from the state they've resided in since they were formed. Far as I'm concerned this is a waste of time, it smells like you just don't like Gatchas.

My two cents, but go nuts on it if you like.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've not been near a PC.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.