Making it EASY for people to spend money...

Sassy Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, you've created your store, you've done heaps of marketing, advertising and promo's and now for the big moment, you've tempted someone, they're on the hook... count the fails in the scenario below (this was my experience buying something this morning):-

Prospective customer searches MP and up pops your item

The picture of the permissions showed M C T (M and T in red and C in green).  The MP listing had "Modify Copy Transfer"

Only the full price item is there on Marketplace, it says "demo available inworld"

Clicking the "See item in Second Life" doesn't take the prospect to the actual item but in the middle of a courtyard (whole area is for one shop, this isn't a mall with shared fixed landing spot).

Prospect has to hunt to find the item, then eventually finds the small "demo" version.

Obtains the demo version..boxed...land is set to NO REZ

Prospect has to depart from the point of potential sale to unbox and try

TOP TIP:  Make life easy for your customer, remove barriers from sale!

(no my shopping experience isn't perfect either, nor do I claim that it is)

mtwtfss71 wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

just to add a quick helpful hint..

Please use the word NO instead of colors on the sign.. there are those of us that are red/green color blind and they look the same. 

Hey, great point! I hadn't thought of that.
:)

This is a very good point.

Actually the default colors of the Lithium software are on the edge of being a problem.  There are websites and free software that you can check your web pages against.  In edge cases a business could be found in violation of the Disabilities Act if an employee is required to use the software.  I ran a Lithium page through one of these when we started using it because my color blind son had a lot of difficulty reading this.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Actually the default colors of the Lithium software are on the edge of being a problem. 

I'm probably behind the curve on this, but what *is* Lithium software please?

The name of this Forum Software (or maybe it's the company) is "Lithium."

Hence why sometimes I say it appears the Forum is on drugs.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Forums-Feedback/Is-The-Lithium-Spell-Checker-On-Drugs-Share-The-Gaffes/m-p/776193#M788

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Actually the default colors of the Lithium software are on the edge of being a problem. 

Ah ok, thank you. :)  So would the issue for those who have color-blind issues be all the highlighting that shows up in green? (I'm assuming I'm using the default colors since I have no idea where to change them...lol.)

I think these are all great ideas. The only one I personally can't accomplish is the "see this item in second life" option. The problem happens when we redesign our stores or move product around. For examples, sometimes we need to expand the size (i just recently did this in fact) so what happens is the landing zone for the main landmark right now if I didn't have forced TP, would put you under my building in the water with no way to get out. And of course, moving things around in the store for marketing purposes to give your store a "fresh" look means having to update lots of items on the marketplace with a new SLURL. That's a ton of management. So unfortunately, I've gone the route of direct landing point to avoid people landing under my building but it means I can't take the most advantage of "see this item in second life", which I hate. Luckily things are relatively easy to find and if not I almost always have an assistant on to help guide people...but ya i wish there was an easier way to deal with that.

That seems a lot of trouble for someone to go through. Do you think someone would go through that list to find one product out of 400 vendors. And more imporantly would people understand how to do that. not everyone is familiar with searching a web pge. Even if they would who though, it still won't bypass the forced landing spotats at is needed to handle changed landmarks. That would be handy...if people would use it.

Great thread and replies!

I had bad experiences with all named...

One of my friends has a small platform as a landing point, from there you walk down the stairs to her shop, so no matter how she refurnish the shop you always land on the platform and one can always jump down to the shop entrance or fly.

When the shop has a forced landing point and an item is somewhere inside I use Area search from Firestorm, just type name of the item, refresh and it shows me an arrow on my screen that points to the item.

What I hate is when a marketplace listing has "see item in SL" option, I teleport to the shop and see a vendor!, just a box with same photo as one on the mp... whats the point?

Deja Letov wrote:

That seems a lot of trouble for someone to go through. Do you think someone would go through that list to find one product out of 400 vendors. And more imporantly would people understand how to do that. not everyone is familiar with searching a web pge. Even if they would who though, it still won't bypass the forced landing spotats at is needed to handle changed landmarks. That would be handy...if people would use it.

Ah, sorry I was missing the point that you have to have forced landing point! I used to use that page a lot to locate the items I wanted in a huge store when I was new. Now I use area object search in such occasions, though.

Yeah, we need to add a brief explanation on how to use that page at the bottom of the description of the listing so that it's usable to people. The good point is that the page is automatically updated if you remove the location of the vendors so we don't have to edit the Slurl. So it's pretty handy when the inworld store doesn't have forced landing point.

I'm trying to think which shop (now gone) had this, shop was huge, full sim, maybe two, a real pain to get around and they had a hud that you could pick up or a concierge type bot thing that would lead you there or send a particle stream to the item.  It actually did a fuzzy search against their hosted SQL, something right up your street I believe? :)

Firestorm area search makes this less of an issue but you know what, you don't need it!

Even with a forced landing spot, if the LM is to the right location, you will still get the arrow pointer and the beacon to the correct location, just have to follow it.

I used to have a forced landing spot but turned it off.  I can get people to the right area of the shop with maybe 5 SLURLs so there's no need to put someone 1m from the vendor for every product but just in the right location.

I do understand why some can't do it or won't, just highlighting a particularly frustrating shopping experience, where possible make it easy for people to spend money, they'll thank you for it and enjoy the experience more. 

Win Win for both parties.

Deja Letov wrote:

Someone should make a product search hud or something we can give out at our store entrances. That would be awesome!

I use the Phoenix area search as someone else mentioned - if I know the name or part of the name of an object a beam directs me to the item.  LOVE that feature.:)

Sassy Romano wrote:

I'm trying to think which shop (now gone) had this, shop was huge, full sim, maybe two, a real pain to get around and they had a hud that you could pick up or a concierge type bot thing that would lead you there or send a particle stream to the item.  It actually did a fuzzy search against their hosted SQL, something right up your street I believe?

When I was at reBourne (Prefab Homes) on a hunt, a drop-down box offered a HUD to tp from one area to the next.  Kind of a snazzy idea for large (multi-sim) stores.

This thread is actually prompting me to make a HUD to find products in my store. My place is fairly large and this would totally help!

on a side note...because I have forced landing, one thing I do have is a directory in my shop. This way if its a bed they are looking for they can tp direct to the bedrooms section. Or right to living rooms, kitchen and even my cemetery.its not perfect but it does take away a lot of the wandering around aimlessly looking for something. But still liking the HUD idea.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ah ok, thank you.
  So would the issue for those who have color-blind issues be all the highlighting that shows up in green? (I'm assuming I'm using the default colors since I have no idea where to change them...lol.)

Shades of green would be the primary culprit.

Personally, I use Firefox with this add on:

http://userstyles.org/styles/44855/community-secondlife-com-blue-goo-theme

ETA:  Actually the accurate term is Color Deficient Vision.  "Color Blind" people do see colors.  There are some very detailed tests for this.  The military takes advantage of this to eliminate people who try to fake it to get out of Military Service.  Many color deficient people will not be fooled by camouflage!  So when a person claims they can't see one thing, they know that they will see another.

My son's teachers were not allowed to use bright red pens/pencils when grading his papers.  They had to use purple.  It drove them all nuts.

Deja Letov wrote:

on a side note...because I have forced landing, one thing I do have is a directory in my shop. This way if its a bed they are looking for they can tp direct to the bedrooms section. Or right to living rooms, kitchen and even my cemetery.its not perfect but it does take away a lot of the wandering around aimlessly looking for something. But still liking the HUD idea.

I've seen directories in many large stores and really appreciate them.  Some method of navigating large areas is really helpful.  I've only seen the HUD in that one place so it was a bit of a "novelty" but any system that will help a relative non-shopper like myself find what I want is great. :)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Interesting info in both of your responses to my question re: colors.  Thanks

So, is purple the new red?
;)

There is the movement to remove all grading of test papers in order to protect the self esteem of our precious little snow flakes.

But no mater what color we might choose, some one somewhere would act offended.

I know some alien species that would be highly insulted to find purple being used as a mark of failure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.