MP product key words

Neural Blankes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When creating a listing, you are asked to provide key words that will help people find your products via the search bar.

Is it within the rules to put your competitors name in the search terms so that when someone searches for their products, yours show up?

If not, what actions can be taken?

Keyword spam is one of the biggest reasons people avoid shopping on the marketplace. It is also reason for removing certain products from the Marketplace and even the termination of the SL account!

There is detailed information in the SL MARKETPLACE LISTING GUIDELINES section - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

Any person can open a certain product page on the Marketplace and, after making sure that this item is in the violation of the Guidelines, go Flag this item -> Listing Violations -> Spam or dissalowed listing practices -> Keyword spam (under "Detailed reason)

If anyone doesn't know how to check what keywords (and some other infos) did the merchant write for a certain product, this is how you do it in Chrome:

1. open a certain product's MP page
  2. right click anywhere on the page and chose "Check" (or use the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+I)
  3. Chose "Network" in the top bar of the little window that shows up
  4. Click F5 to refresh the page
  5. Click on the first icon from the huge list of little documents iconsthat showed up on the left side 
  6. Look in the right window and scroll down until you come to the part that says "<meta name="keywords" content"

Just a helpful tip.. Most items you have listed have zero perms allowed, and say "See product details for permissions info" but you don't list the perms in your products..

If an item is full perm, list it as such. You will not show in a search for full perm items if you don't. Most people that search for full perm items check the boxes on the left to do so.

Plus, it really isn't accurate to have "See product details for permissions info" checked when you don't list that info in the description.

I would consider it Anti-competitive behavior (my opinion). The MP Guidelines don't mention it specifically, so pointing attention and resolving it may require submitting a Support Ticket.  Here's the section from the MP Guidelines - the emphasis is mine:

• Anti-Competitive or Abusive Behavior. Examples include, but are not limited to:
    • inflating prices on the SL Marketplace, in comparison to in-world or other e-commerce sites,
    • posting hostile or false reviews or comments on a competing merchant's items,
    • posting reviews that encourage users to buy competitor products, or visit in world locations,
    • posting item listings that are abusive or disparaging with respect to another merchant or their products.
    • using alternate or related accounts to purchase or rate your own items,
    • rewarding buyers for reviews unless both positive and negative reviews are rewarded.

The majority of the products I have marked as "see description" do have notes in them regarding the perms.  I use SD because often times the product is mod/copy with the exception of the scripts, which are copy only.

I can make changes, but it seemed to me to be false advertising to have the products listed completely as mod/copy when in fact part of them was not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.