Looking to start a business. possibly.

Zethnos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone. I was looking for some advice.

I am currently a DJ. I want to try and save up some money from being a DJ to buy my own land and start some type of something to make a little extra money. I am not looking to get rich or anything like that. I don't really want to start a club, because there are so many clubs out there that I don't think I could spend enough time to actually make it popular. I thought about trying to make a store, but I don't know what I would even sell... I hate trying to make cloths, and other than that I have no idea what to make and or sell other than like gestures or something. I thought about buying a small section of land and renting it to farmers like worm and wheat farmers, but I have no idea if that is worth it or not.

Does anyone have some knowledge they could share with me to something that I could try to do? Like I said, I'm not looking to get rich, I just want something that could make me a little extra each week that doesn't require me to be on all the time. Don't get me wrong I love DJing, but I want something of my own you know. So if anyone has some ideas they would be willing to share it will be much appreciated.

It's like real life: if you give people a good enough reason to give you their money, they will.

You might look into developing a skill such as animation. I found I could make simple animations without too much investment of time learning, and it did not seem to take much talent to do simple things (tho talent helps with anything.)

Most people will tell you, however, that you have it backwards. People who make things worth selling, or provide some service anyone wants to buy, start out doing so because it is fun. Turning it into a business comes later.

Well I love being a DJ... I would love to have a music club, or maybe even a comedy club.... but I doubt I would ever be able to make it popular.... just because it takes soooo much to get the name out there. I really dk what else there is... I have not really made anything so I don't know what to try out that I might like. I have tried making cloths... don't like it.

You are asking what is selling well but you should ask "how to sell well?" because everything you can imagine can be well sold if you can find the person who will buy it.

Find one thing that makes you happy, do it more, find people who do same, find everything you can that is related to that and if you are good money will come by itself.

Even if you can't create or do anything, but have connections, you can still make some money. So connect :)

I told you in previous post. Connect with people that share same interest - ones who go to clubs. How you find more people who like clubbing? I guess by visiting clubs and meeting them. 

How many social sites you have? How many followers on each of them or all together? If 10 people hears what you sell, maybe one will buy it, if you're lucky. So you should reach thousands of people to get some significant sales. Join in-world groups where you will be allowed to send notices and market yourself, Youtube and everything that comes to your mind. You can start with this forum and make some nice signature, if you plan to post more. 

And I am curious, why not graphic design?

Yeah I guess I could go around and market to some DJs and club goers that love weird gestures... Shoot I could even talk to some club owners and make gestures specific for them and see if they will advertise me in return... Might work.

And as to your question about why not graphic design. I dislike 3D modeling with a passion... I don't like trying to make clothing. I am actually trying to hire someone to make me some stuff haha. But, I have no idea what I would even design. I mostly make things like business cards and posters IRL. I do some fantasy, freestyle, original art on the side though. I mean I am great at making logos and stuff, but I am not sure what all is out there in terms of graphic design in SL other than building/making things like clothing and furnature (which I refuse to do lol). 

Cool, I'll try it out then. Thanks. Now would it be better to set up my shop on someones land that rents shop space because of foot traffic, or would it be better to se it up on my own small land?

Okay so you're a DJ and I guess you have a certain number of fans and friends, its same with customers, except they come to buy your stuff instead of talking or dancing with you. I suppose that you already know how to tell your friends and fans where and when you spin, and you know there are groups and websites where you (or someone else) can post a notice about the event.

Everything is same when you are working on your shop and it doesn't matter is it located on a top of a mountain or in the back yard of your home because you will have to post infos and notices to tell everyone to come over and check your stuff.

For me its better to set it on my own land because I can deed the land to group and give some abilities to my friends, otherwise I don't know what would be better for you but don't rely on someones foot traffic. Its all up to you. 

Alright cool. The only thing to do then is attract the initial group of people somehow. Like with the club gestures in return for advertising.

Now as far as the land goes, about how many prims and how many sq m is a decent size to start out? 200 prims at 36x36 m?

Exactly! Many people give out few of their items for free hoping people will use them and advertise that way, and often they do. I would like to advise you to try many things, everything that comes to your mind, give it a week and see if it brings you something good. Not all things that work for me will work for you...

As for the land...it depends of how many items you have? If its only few then really no need for huge shop. Count how long you plan to use the land, how many new items you will make, count the prims for the building, some trees outside etc. I think I started with around 400 prims, but I like decorations lol

Please don't forget to write important infos in your profile and maybe you have some friends willing to help and do same? 

Well I don't have a ton of items, but I am going to put more than one together in a bowser or two so I won't need one of everything sitting out. And the venders I am going to use to sell them are about the size of tip jars I believe. I didn't really want to start off with a store and outside area, I was thinking about buying land big eough for the building itself and just have everthing inside. I was hoping to cut some cost that way haha. As far as how long I am using the land. I am going to use it until it starts bringing in enough money to pay for itself and makes a little profit, then I was going to upgrade the size and possibly have maybe enough room to rent out space for another store, or if It gets poplar enough I might just make that one bigger and have a nice outside area. OR I may even try to open a club with it as well, but for now the goal is to just use the space until it is maing profit and paying the bills for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you mentioned logos. Are you able to create professional looking logos in Photoshop or something similar? I personally would pay someone to create a nice logo for my own store, I'm sure others would as well. Along that same line, signs sell fairly well and you can list them on marketplace as well. Many folks would buy custom signage as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.