LL: Are you even aware of this???

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To All Merchants:

We are pleased to announce that we have listened to your concerns regarding throwaway avatar accounts being used to upload and sell stolen content on the Marketplace. As a result of that listening, we have created a new high security locking system to protect anyone purchasing from the Marketplace. In order to sell anything on the Marketplace, your avatar account must enter a top secret security code that only we know. However since we realize that some of you might not be as skilled at mind reading as others, we have also created a fail-safe device that will grant you full access no matter how good your mind reading skills.

Top Secret Security Code.jpg

Pamela Galli wrote:

I know it is a crumb, but it is SOMETHING!

(ETA:  Keep reading.  Actually it is nothing.)

As a new content creator and marketplacer, I have no problem with this, they already have my payment info on file from subscriptions I've made in the last couple of years. Like others have said, should keep everyone on the up and up.

The ironic thing was I assumed I would have to have my payment info on file to sell on the marketplace anyway, since it was required just to upload a mesh to the server..

So this all makes sense to me.

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

I know it is a crumb, but it is SOMETHING!

(ETA:  Keep reading.  Actually it is nothing.)

As a new content creator and marketplacer, I have no problem with this, they already have my payment info on file from subscriptions I've made in the last couple of years. Like others have said, should keep everyone on the up and up.

The ironic thing was I assumed I
would
have to have my payment info on file to sell on the marketplace anyway, since it was required just to upload a mesh to the server..

So this all makes sense to me.

The issue isn't that we're asked to supply it, it's that we still DON'T HAVE TO!  There's a trivial work around to indicate PIOF by just buying something for L$1 off MP and then do the mesh quiz and you can upload and sell, without actually providing PIOF. 

It's BROKEN, that's the problem :)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

To All Merchants:

We are pleased to announce that we have listened to your concerns regarding throwaway avatar accounts being used to upload and sell stolen content on the Marketplace. As a result of that listening, we have created a new high security locking system to protect anyone purchasing from the Marketplace. In order to sell anything on the Marketplace, your avatar account must enter a top secret security code that only we know. However since we realize that some of you might not be as skilled at mind reading as others, we have also created a fail-safe device that will grant you full access no matter how good your mind reading skills.

LOL!!!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

To All Merchants:

pin number.jpg

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ok, that's odd.  My main account has PIOF (as in a credit card & my RL info), and I have purchased a number of things from the MP, including after LL changed the payment system but when I went to the link provided by LL per this recent announcement I am still showing that I am unable to upload mesh.

ETA: Ok, I read your post too quickly.  You said it changed the avatar's *payment* info bax to green *on* the mesh upload status page; so I'm assuming it did *not* change the ability to upload mesh.  Sorry about the confusion.  Doing too many things at one time. :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

I took that account through the quiz, logged in, and successfully uploaded duck.dae. I also checked parcel access and legacy profiles again, and those are still treating the account as if there was no payment info. So, mesh upload ability is checked by different flags.

I contacted Peter Gray at the Lab on this matter and received the following reply:

Hi Inara,

Thanks for your email. We'll be adding the below to the blog post on this topic momentarily:

Thanks to reports from Merchants, we have discovered a bug in the system that determines whether an account has payment info on file. We are working now to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and expect to release a fix in the next couple of weeks.

In addition, we have had some questions about the 5-day age requirement for accounts trying to become Merchant accounts. This requirement is not new, and there are no current plans to change it. 

best,

Peter

The comments now appear to have been added to the original LL blog post, and I've also blogged on the update as well.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Thank you, Inara.  It would be so easy for them to just ask for feedback. I mean, I know of at least two threads about the bug, and JIRAs have been filed. I am glad someone can get their mail read by someone at LL. 

Careful Pam.

You're asking the Commerce Team to use the "c" word.

You know, "communications".

According to the Wiki,

"Linden Lab offers a L$10,000 bounty for each previously unknown exploit that can be verified."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Security_issues

Where do we all apply for our bounty?

Oh, and Peter, LL did not discover the bug.  We did.  At best you have discovered the "cause" of the bug now. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

According to the Wiki,

"Linden Lab offers a L$10,000 bounty for each previously unknown exploit that can be verified."

Oh, and Peter, LL did not discover the bug.  We did.  At best you have discovered the "cause" of the bug now. 

Actually, you have no clue if they were aware of it or not before it became public knowledge in this thread.

As much as LL goofs things up, do you honestly think they would have come out and said "This can be bypassed in this manner" just to let everyone know that they were aware of the issue?

No gaming company willing admits to an issue before it is public knowledge, no matter how long before it became public they knew about it.

You are assuming that because it wasn't common knowledge to everyone else, namely us, the users, that LL didn't know about it and was actively working to fix it.

There is a difference between White Hats, Black Hats, and Wanna-Be's.

White Hats tell the company

Black Hats tell no one and exploit it

Wanna-Be's tell everyone so they can try to make themselves look important or impressive to a bunch of strangers

Jacob Cagney wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

According to the Wiki,

Actually, you have no clue if they were aware of it or not before it became public knowledge in this thread.

As much as LL goofs things up, do you honestly think they would have come out and said "This can be bypassed in this manner" just to let everyone know that they were aware of the issue?

No gaming company willing admits to an issue before it is public knowledge, no matter how long before it became public they knew about it.

You are assuming that because it wasn't common knowledge to everyone else, namely us, the users, that LL didn't know about it and was actively working to fix it.

There is a difference between White Hats, Black Hats, and Wanna-Be's.

White Hats tell the company

Black Hats tell no one and exploit it

Wanna-Be's tell everyone so they can try to make themselves look important or impressive to a bunch of strangers

Maybe He just thought it would be good PR to thank the Merchants for reporting something they already knew.  There are many Merchants who are not too happy with LL at the moment.

Or maybe it took several Merchants reporting it before they realized, "Hey, we better look at this."

We'll never know.

It would have been foolish to post about the new program before it got fixed if they already knew about the bug.

Additionally I need to remember not everyone gets my sense of humor. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

The bug has been known and reported in JIRAs for months.

But LL in its usual supreme ignorance just plowed ahead with its new policy, which many could have told them would be of no effect whatsoever.

This simply underscores the fact that since Rod Humble had the JIRA converted into a dead-end private useless waste of server space, not even the Linden Lab staff bother to read it or consult it.

Or it could just be that since the only people able to read a JIRA Issue report are those actually creating it, the LL Staff are not able to read the Issues either.

Personally .. I'm putting my money on the latter as it just seems to make sense with how LL does things.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Just to clarify for any doubters, I just took an avatar that I hadn't used for a long time, paid it L$20 and then with it bought an item for L$1.  Payment method added as Darien described.

Then created a marketplace store and made a notecard product

Next, do the mesh IP tutorial and upload a mesh object

It really is that bad.

(minor edit:  I just created a new avatar and was told that I needed to be > 5 days old, piof and agree to terms.  Repeated the process to buy something for L$1 and refreshed the page to create a store.  Page then asked only for > 5 days and agree to terms.  Thus it's not because the other avatar was grandfathered in any way to not be required to have PIOF like a new avatar.  I fully expect this new avatar to have a shiny store up in 5 days time.)

Please let us know in 5 days what happens.

It's 10 days later and here's the first product https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/New-Note/5518102

:)  (i'm gonna be rich)

Sassy Romano wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Just to clarify for any doubters, I just took an avatar that I hadn't used for a long time, paid it L$20 and then with it bought an item for L$1.  Payment method added as Darien described.

Then created a marketplace store and made a notecard product

Next, do the mesh IP tutorial and upload a mesh object

It really is that bad.

(minor edit:  I just created a new avatar and was told that I needed to be > 5 days old, piof and agree to terms.  Repeated the process to buy something for L$1 and refreshed the page to create a store.  Page then asked only for > 5 days and agree to terms.  Thus it's not because the other avatar was grandfathered in any way to not be required to have PIOF like a new avatar.  I fully expect this new avatar to have a shiny store up in 5 days time.)

Please let us know in 5 days what happens.

It's 10 days later and here's the first product

:)

(i'm gonna be rich)

The next question will be if when they get this fixed it it will "un-verify" account info on file for these accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.