I pay for 21 different classified ads since 2012 and get zero clicks for any of them...

Ample Clarity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been paying for these ads since 2012 and just recently looked to see if they were getting clicks...and I consistently get ZERO for any of them! All of these ads are over 111L each.  I haven't checked them for years so I don't know how long they haven't been working for. Are they not getting clicks or is there something wrong with the system? I'm paying about 5,000L a week for them (since 2012).  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

You aren't guaranteed any visitors just because you have a classified ad.  Maybe no one is reading your ad, or if they are they aren't teleporting there.  There are tons of furniture stores around so you have a lot of competition.  When i search classifieds for low prim furniture stores I get tons of hits.

Maybe you'd get a better response if you put a different picture of some of your furniture in the ad.  There isn't much contrast in that picture other than the couple, which makes it difficult to see the furniture itself.  When I shop for things I want to see clear pictures of what is offered. 

• Like 1

Ample Clarity wrote:

But don't the ads tell you how many clicks/teleports/profile you've received since you started the ad? After 5 years, I should have thousands, right? I think the system isn't working properly right now.

if people aren't interested you would still have zero .... the time they are there as classified has no connection at all with real clicks.

for example... i never seen your adds, so also not gotten any clicks or tp's or traffic from my account(s)

If you have a good traffic you perhaps can carefully conlcude people see the ads

Tamara Artis wrote:

I went to check statistics, in those 2 days I have sales from that shop from 2 people, it is maybe 1k top. They bought few items. Not much but still enough to pay off the ad lol

That's good. :)

Even so, I'm not saying that classified ads and "enhanced listings" on MP are just wasted money but I do believe they are more about building brand awareness than generating instant sales and for that you need massive exposure, you need to plug your brand over and over again until people remember it. In other words: either go all in and do it on a large scale or don't do it at all.

A slightly different topic but since we're discussing classified ads, I had a look at the knowledge base and noticed that you set the price you're willing to pay yourself and your rank depends on what you pay. An "unpaid" search listing costs 30 L$/week regardless of your ranking. Does that mean classified ads can actually be cheaper than regular search listings?

ChinRey wrote:

An "unpaid" search listing costs 30 L$/week regardless of your ranking. Does that mean classified ads can actually be cheaper than regular search listings?

Not sure I understand this... 

The lowest price we pay is 30L$ and it is for showing the land in search results. But profile pics are free and can show up in search. They can't track visits and clicks (but I wouldn't say those matter anyway lol) 

It would be good to play with this and test some things to see how its working these days...

Don't waste your time/money with those ads. There is so many ads there that unless you spend a ton you won't get put near the first results. I find renting ad boards around the grid is a bit more expensive but I get daily clicks on them. If your selling for marketplace then I suggest paying to get featured ads on items you think will sell, but be sure to put time into designing those ads right.

Marketplace ads are a waste of money.  How many times your ad is shown depends on how many other ads there are for that category.  The ones that would probably give the best results if all the ads were shown,  and the most expensive,have lots of ads waiting in line to be shown.  You could refresh your screen all day and not see your ad.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Marketplace ads are a waste of money.  How many times your ad is shown depends on how many other ads there are for that category.  The ones that would probably give the best results if all the ads were shown,  and the most expensive,have lots of ads waiting in line to be shown.  You could refresh your screen all day and not see your ad.

And how is that a waste of money? I mean you don't have to pay the ad to be shown on the MP landing page (where its really a big crowd), you can chose your own category and subcategory. Its what I do and the ads work normal. Its nothing special, you can't expect miracles but the sales pay the ad and add a bit of extra and I see the difference between revenue earned from products with ads and ones without.

At the end it will turn out how none of the ads work and how one shouldn't buy them at all and then people complain how their products don't get any exposure lol

I think we should combine. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Marketplace ads are a waste of money.

I believe that has changed for the better recently. Darrius Gothly once did some rather extensive tests showing that the system was seriously skewed, displaying some ads far more often than others. I did some casual tests myself confirming Darrius' results but when I redid the tests recently, I could find no such pattern.

Even so, last time I tried a Marketplace ad, I paid 399 Lindens to have my ad displayed about 50 times on a category page. The click-through ratio was actualy surprsingly good, more than 5% - I think that may actually be suspiciously good - but even so, each not very prominently disaplayed ad imprint on a web page is worth less than 1 L$. But it may well be that other categories than the ones I have tried are less crowded and give you more displays for your money.

As I said in an earlier post, it's very different if you use those ads as part of a brand awareness strategy but for that you need lots of ads and ads in different places.

In any case, this discussion is really about classified ads in inworld search results and that's not the same as Marketplace ads.

ChinRey wrote:

Tamara Artis wrote:

Not sure I understand this... 

The lowest price we pay is 30L$ and it is for showing the land in search results.

So you have to pay for a regular listing first and then you can pay extra for a classified ad?

Yes hahaha

First 30L$ we pay if we want to show up in search results. 

For example if I write "photography" in search, there are 2939 results displayed (if I look under everything). Right from that is another column that shows classifieds (with 103 results total) so even if my place has bad rating with the pure land search (left column), I can fix it by buying expensive ad, which will probably affect my total rating. 

ChinRey wrote:

I believe that has changed for the better recently. Darrius Gothly once did some rather extensive tests showing that the system was seriously skewed, displaying some ads far more often than others. I did some casual tests myself confirming Darrius' results but when I redid the tests recently, I could find no such pattern.

I shouldn't really reply to my own post, esepcially since it's a little bit off topic but I think I need to correct myself.

I redid my casual test again, this time on a category page, and there it is very easy to see that the selection of ads displayed is not random. It doesn't seem like any particular ads or merchants are favored though, it's just that the random number generator is a bit dodgy: once an ad makes it to the top of the list it stays there for a while. I had to refresh the page 99 times before my own test ad showed up but then it showed up twice during the next ten refreshes. I noticed the same with other ads too. Not ideal but I suppose it evens out in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a matter of trial and error. For me, an x amount of ads work. Pay for fewer ads and I earn less. Pay for more ads, and I won't earn more either. I can understand that for products that have been introduced to the market in 2012, sales would have dropped a bit since then, for several reasons. E.g.: (i) the market for such items has grown, (ii) better products have been introduced since then, (iii) they've gotten out of fashion.

In your case, assuming that your low-prim furniture is made of sculptie objects: 2012 was the year that mesh got introduced in SL, enabling production of furniture with more detail and higher resolution, as well as lower land impact relative to detail.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.