How to update products with DD

Mo Noel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a scripter and update my products quite often with new features or fixes.

When I did an update I used to use an updater that comes with my in world vending system.
It had the following workflow:

1. rez the old product box
2. add the new product to the box
3. take the box bak to inventory (its now the new updated box)
4. put the box into the in world serve

the rest is automatic:
the updater takes care to remove the old box from the inventory of the in world server and the magic box and replaces it with the new box.

Thus, updating was really quick to do and very reliable.

now, with the Macig Box not working any more, how can I create a workflow that is as easy and reliable as the one described above?

At the moment, all I know is, that I need to upload the new box to MP.
That ist quite a hazzle of clicks. I just tried it to update a product.

However, MP seems not to replace the old box/folder with the new one, but it keeps both, showing a conflict (if you search for it) and still delivers the old product.

I cant even delete single inventory from MP, as that always fails with an error message.

You cant even distinguish old box from new box, when you uploaded the last one at the same date.

So, again:

How do I implement an easy and reliable working work flow to update my items on Marketplace, without using the Magic Box? I would love to implement an as easy, automated way, as mentioned above.

There are multiple items with the same name. To list or combine items, please review and manage them accordingly.

Hi Mo

You can't.

When an item is replaced, you need to manually select the new one from the list when editing associated object and then you have to remove the old one from the list of unassociated objects.

The only improvement I can think of is some method to drive the web page by scripted means.

You can not update items on the marketplace, only replace them
So an update would have the same workflow as creating a new item
That's the inworld part of it
The 'Edit Item listing' in the market place is easy, you replace an old item with a new by the 'Edit associated object' button

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for you replies.

Still the question: Why is it that complicated and that much efford needed?

As said before, with the Magicbox, it is zero additional efford needed to replace a Marketplace item with an updated version, if you also need to maintain in world servers - at least, it can be organized to be zero aditional effort and I did.

Now its a complete hassel!

Not only that you have to klick a thousand things in differnt programs (viewer, webbrowser), in addition the thousand things you need to klick don't work ~60% of the time (at least for me, today), and if they work, they are slow as hell. So as I needed 0 seconds before, to update an MP item, I now need several minutes to even hours and some prayers as well to update an item. This pretty much stacks, if you need to update a complete series of products.

I also don't want to rename the box of the product, as I need it the very same name for the inworld servers. But if you need to replace an item at MP with DD, the same day twice (e.g. you made an error or soemthing else bad happened), you cant even tell which one of the items already online is the new one and which one is the old one at the MP website.

Why is a good and relaible tool (magicbox) replaced by a most times not working complex and complicated, time consuming workflow (Direct Delivery)?

Why does LL not the ones that want to use the magicbox let them use the magicbox and the others use DD. DD is ok for stuff that never needs an update again.

So, at the moment I debate, to only sell vouchers at MP, that deliver the real product when rezed in world. This seems to me the only way at present, to keep workflows at an reasonable level. So, to me DD is a great step into a bad direction.

I was going to open a jira-ticket, but notided, that its no longer possible to create tickets for Marketplace. My idea:

If an new folder gets uploaded to Marketplace, it will replace an existing folder with even the same name (if there is one).

This would make the workflow to update products extremely more convenient.

Next question is, how do I get ANS to my in world CRM servers? At present, the Magicbox provides all CRM information to update my in world CRM database. Marketplace seems to allow ANS, but only to fixes URLS. However, items in world change their URL with every sim restart or even sooner.

Mo Noel wrote:

Next question is, how do I get ANS to my in world CRM servers? At present, the Magicbox provides all CRM information to update my in world CRM database. Marketplace seems to allow ANS, but only to fixes URLS. However, items in world change their URL with every sim restart or even sooner.

The URL that you enter into the MP ANS settings is the URL of your ANS processor.  If that's in inworld object then you will have to maintain some alternate process such as a web page that then forwards on to the inworld object URL.

The MP ANS settings suit a static web page type ANS processor.

I agree, it is horribly designed. But I speak for many by being thankful it is not even worse, when you see how the whole site is designed.

In any case, I have the idea that ship has sailed.

Mo Noel wrote:

But if you need to replace an item at MP with DD, the same day twice (e.g. you made an error or soemthing else bad happened), you cant even tell which one of the items already online is the new one and which one is the old one at the MP website.

Why is a good and relaible tool (magicbox) replaced by a most times not working complex and complicated, time consuming workflow (Direct Delivery)?

Why does LL not the ones that want to use the magicbox let them use the magicbox and the others use DD. DD is ok for stuff that never needs an update again.

So, at the moment I debate, to only sell vouchers at MP, that deliver the real product when rezed in world. This seems to me the only way at present, to keep workflows at an reasonable level. So, to me DD is a great step into a bad direction.

I was going to open a jira-ticket, but notided, that its no longer possible to create tickets for Marketplace. My idea:

If an new folder gets uploaded to Marketplace, it will replace an existing folder with even the same name (if there is one).

This would make the workflow to update products extremely more convenient.

Totally agree with you, Mo.  LL said DD was something "everyone wanted."  Apparently I missed that discussion.

When DD was first introduced, there were a lot of posts in these forums lauding it; some of the same merchants have now seen it may not be all that it was cracked up to be.

What happened was that they did a survey, and of course delivery failures came out as the top concern.

So they decided that DD was the solution and devoted themselves to that.

What we did not know at the time was how long DD would take to be usuable, and that almost nothing else would get worked on in the meantime.

I also let MP deliver either vouchers or updaters to customers so customers have to rez them to receive the actual products from my in-world server. When I like to update a product, I replace it with the new one in my in-world server. The update will take effect immediately on all in-world vendors as well.

Machess Lemton wrote:

I also let MP deliver either vouchers or updaters to customers so customers have to rez them to receive the actual products from my in-world server. When I like to update a product, I replace it with the new one in my in-world server. The update will take effect immediately on all in-world vendors as well.

Thats the way it should be. Updating Marketplace without any thing needed to be done.

Mo,

I understand that the updating process for direct delivery is more steps now (and more time) than it was for you with the magic boxes, but, MY concern would be for my customers.  You don't want to spend the extra time and energy to do actual updates, but, most all marketplace customers shop there because they don't want to have to go to an inworld store, wait for everything to rez, locate the item they want, suffer through lag, and THEN finally get what they came for.  For those customers, it's a convenience thing.  Now, you're gonna be having them pay for a "voucher" and still come inworld to your store to GET what they've already paid for.  They may as well have just come inworld to start with.  

In addition to that, you're going to give Linden Lab 5% of the value of that voucher in commission.  Or...are you planning to increase the price of your items by 5% to cover that commission cost? (this is against the TOS by the way)

I would be afraid, given this knowledge, that your sales might suffer because who wants to pay on the marketplace and then go shopping inworld anyway?  Marketplace shoppers are used to getting their purchase instantly right where they are, rezzing it (or the box it comes in), and being done with it!  Me personally?  I like inworld shopping.  I like seeing all the different store designs and products and I would NEVER purchase some crazy "voucher" just to go shopping at an inworld store.  This is where MY concern would be if I were you.  

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Now, you're gonna be having them pay for a "voucher" and still come inworld to your store to GET what they've already paid for.  They may as well have just come inworld to start with.  

Marcus, I suspect what Mo is doing is delivering a box with an onrez script that then contacts her own delivery server, which is probably also the delivery server for her inworld vendors.

So the behaviour will be that the customer gets what is essentially an empty box as far as product is concerned but when rezzed, the script just calls her server which then immediately sends the actual product.

I do this for a product belonging to my partner as it's the only way that we can sell under one brand while supporting multiple creators for one store where each owns their own items.

It's very transparent to the customer.

Good Mornin, Miss Sassy!

Ah-Ha!  I see what you mean.  Well then if that's what she's doing, that would be okay.  I've purchased items even inworld that have called a server and delivered it as soon as I rezzed it.  Especially for those of us who have business partners, that is a great system.  Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.