How To Advertise Your Store Or Product Using Sock Accounts

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's actually very easy, and skirts around the forum policies about advertising your product or store...

1) Create an alternate (known as a 'sock' as in puppet) account.

2) Create a post in the fashion forum or otherwise claiming you need help 'finding' an item you saw somewhere, used somewhere

3) Log into your main account (perhaps even another alt/sock account) and be very helpful by posting direct links to product listings on the Marketplace, or name-dropping others you would like to advertise (maybe even if it is your own)

4) Don't forget to do this daily.

5) Sarcasm. Understand what it is, and what makes this post so on-point, and great

PS. Also, I found this wonderful jacket worn by this guy (include picture) that I saw at some club in SL, could anyone tell me what jacket it is, or who designed it, or what store I can go to and buy it? Thanks a bunch!

:-D

Or even better, have LL send out an email advertising your store to everyone in SL.

But to address your point, the guidelines clearly state not to use marketplace links or single out a business for promotion, but the mods seem to make an exception for the "recommendations", whether legit or not.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Or even better, have LL send out an email advertising your store to everyone in SL.

Oh c'mon, the breedables market needed a boost back then right?

Then LL realised they had made a boo boo...

So they did it again although my memory forgets what the more recent one was?

Well there have been so many, hard to keep track.

Well the new 12 Days of Christmas on the Marketplace email comes to mind.   It doesn't seem like it has been a year since the last one but maybe it has. Or maybe there was a 12 Days of Summer thing. I buy VERY LITTLE so didn't pay much attention.

I think I replied to the wrong post AGAIN (obviously I have an issue with this - not sure why). Anyway -----

entity0x wrote:

It's actually very easy, and skirts around the forum policies about advertising your product or store...

1) Create an alternate (known as a 'sock' as in puppet) account.

2) Create a post in the fashion forum or otherwise claiming you need help 'finding' an item you saw somewhere, used somewhere

3) Log into your main account (perhaps even another alt/sock account) and be very helpful by posting direct links to product listings on the Marketplace, or name-dropping others you would like to advertise (maybe even if it is your own)

4) Don't forget to do this daily.

5) Sarcasm. Understand what it is, and what makes this post so on-point, and great

PS. Also, I found this wonderful jacket worn by this guy (include picture) that I saw at some club in SL, could anyone tell me what jacket it is, or who designed it, or what store I can go to and buy it? Thanks a bunch!

:-D

There's also the interesting strategy of de-advertising that some merchants use by posting irrelevant things that make it look like they're obnoxious fools while using their merchant account. I'm not exactly sure what they hope to gain from this, but who am I to judge?

Great now we'll be inundated with advertising on the forum.  All the land advertising is enough! :smileyfrustrated:

BTW, if you need help 'finding' something that goes in the Wanted section not Fashion, which is for discussion.

Personally I wish they'd move all Land subforum, maybe with the exception of general discussion, as well as all Wanted and Inworld Employment to another forum area that people can access easily, like the Forum Feedback section.  It would be much easier to see posts from people that actually want to discuss something or have questions.

You shouldn't worry about what others may think, just speak for yourself.

Anyways, it got your attention, didn't it?

Skillz.

Now perhaps LL or at least this forum's moderators will deal with it, or clarify the rules, because it's a nifty little loophole that doesn't need to happen.

If I get a post removed for using an image of a product, with all details blurred out, or providing even a general 'search' link to demonstrate a point I make, then the same needs to be applied to everyone.

Or... When in Rome... do as the Romans do.

Thank you for your reply.

I am not worried about what others think, I was just expressing my opinion of what I think of your post.  Thats what forums are for.

And making a post that explains how to break the the rules without getting caught takes no "skillz".  I'm sure I've seen this happened before occasionally and thought this was what was going on, so it's not even an original thought.

But I do agree that the rules should apply to everyone equally.  I won't comment on the quality of the moderation, since that's against the rules too. :smileywink:

I've been curious how it is that LL chooses which creators and stores to endorse and advertise for, is it by how much money they make in SL I wonder?  I thought they didn't do that but, they clearly have started to. 

I think it would be nice if they gave everyone an honest chance to be endorsed and advertised by them.  There are so many wonderful creators but it seems there are only a specific few they endorse and one in particular pops up a lot lately on the feed.

angeliclightning wrote:

I've been curious how it is that LL chooses which creators and stores to endorse and advertise for, is it by how much money they make in SL I wonder?

I actually know the answer to that, or at least I have an answer from LL. ;)

Not sure if I'm allowed to post it here but why not simply do what I did: open a support case and ask! ^_^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.