Has VMM broken ANS? (InventoryName field contents)

DavidThomas Scorbal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a customer who uses my ANS extension to record her MP sales on her own server.

She has some very compelling evidence that the InventoryName field of the ANS transaction is no longer transmitting the name of the associated inventory item, but now contains the MP listing description instead.

This image shows two transactions, back to back, of the same MP item. The first one was executed prior to converting the item to use VMM, and the second one (7 minutes later) was done after the VMM conversion/transfer.

http://i.imgur.com/gi4D2Mw.png

My ANS code records the InventoryName field.

Needless to say, this is a huge regression. This breaks accounting, redelivery, customer history ... you name it.

Is this an intentional change? Going to enter a JIRA right now, but wanted to get out some feelers here, too.

Sassy Romano wrote:

I really hope not for the reasons you cite.

When Direct Delivery was being developed, there were two of us on the beta team with an interest in ANS, I wonder how many there were this time?

Well .. if one of those two counted me then I can assure you this time around there was one less of us .. cuz I was otherwise occupied and not contacted in any form whatsoever.

But ... from looking deep into the various ANS-created databases I can access, I see no issue.

Oooohhh ... waitaminute ....

I am seeing "some" variations, but it's not universal. There is something going on here but I'm not sure yet if it was transient or if it has been permanently broken.

One question though: Why is the InventoryName field of any importance to accounting records? It has always been a field subject to the whim of the Merchant/Creator and not really suitable for use in indexing, locating or accounting? The ItemID field is much more important.

InvNameChange01.png

Notice that the ItemID and ItemName fields remain correct; it is only the InventoryName field that seems affected.

A little more depth needed: The InventoryName field was originally the name of the single object within a Magic Box that was delivered upon customer purchase. When Direct Delivery rolled out, that field was "grandfathered" into the data by retaining the existing value, however since DD used folders and individual items, it no longer had the same meaning.

Now that VMM no longer has ANY relationship to Magic Boxes (presumably) that field is now a Dunsel (useless) as it no longer contains any information about the product or its contents.

So maybe they decided to just repeat the one text field that does have data?

Heh, I wasn't including you Darrius as I recall you were among the conscientious objectors who refused to sign up to the gagging order in the NDA. :)

I have no idea if I've been migrated or not and I'm not going to be forced to use a beta viewer of no choice, just to find out.

I'll be watching to see if they've screwed up the ANS feed on a whim though.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Heh, I wasn't including you Darrius as I recall you were among the conscientious objectors who refused to sign up to the gagging order in the NDA.
:)

I have no idea if I've been migrated or not and I'm not going to be forced to use a beta viewer of no choice, just to find out.

I'll be watching to see if they've screwed up the ANS feed on a whim though.

I'm not sure about the "conscientious" part (grin) but certainly I would not sign their NDA. The gag clause wasn't the issue though; it was the bit about them owning everything I did related to, associated with, or designed for use in Second Life that bugged me.

I try NOT to hand my car keys to just anyone with their hand out ...

Sassy Romano wrote:

You can see the throbber under the contents tab if you've been migrated. In case you don't know already, I can see your throbber :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.