Deeds and Property Maps

PurveyorOfProperty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello and good morning :)

I'm new to Second Life and just getting a feel for how things work when it comes to jobs and business. I'm a full time deed reader, writer and survey drafter for a surveying company IRL. I can't seem to find any in depth reference to how that works in Second Life but I'd love to offer my services or even start my own company if I have to. 

Is there any call for that kind of work? Reading, interpreting and writing "legalize" as they call it is a skill that a lot of people don't have and something I enjoy doing. That and my abilitiy to turn out fully and officially drafted maps using AutoCAD. I'd love to do what I love for other people here in Second Life and if anybody has any ideas of where I can get started without just fumbling around and trying to figure out would be really helpful.

Or if you're looking to hire a guy with my skills let me know ;)

P.O.P.

Probably not, although CAD might get you somewhere.

I did once have a small market in creating 'mini-sims' - small models of regions that showed off their principle features, kind of like a real life snowglobe. Something like that, maybe.

The closest thing we have is Covenants, but these aren't legally binding and I imagine each estate would only ever write one, and keep that updated as necessary. It's also - to be frank and honest - unlikely that a new user would be able to take into account all the nuances and situations unique to SL.

So yeah, maybe you can hammer out an opportunity in simulator/region design or development - or building in general. There's probably options!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the fast reply Freya :)

I've done a lot of 2D work in CAD but nothing 3D. I used to design tool layouts for MAC tool boxes and Snap-On equipment, we did a lot of custom stuff for the military and Delta as well. Then I moved into cartography. So basically I can do 2D maps or designs but when it comes to 3D I only have experience in layering 2D levels. If you think that would still be helpful then I'll start persuing that path and see where it gets me.

P.O.P

That sounds cool! I've always liked maps (I have a small but budding collection of Ordnance Survey maps IRL).

Unfortunately, to try and be clearer, I can't imagine you'd be too successful without adding new strings to your bow (such as 3D CAD, how to build in Second Life, etc.) but I'm sure this is a good opportunity to try and pick up adjacent skills.

Just my opinion! There may be an untapped market somewhere, and small or single-shot jobs probably exist somewhere! Most things tend to, somewhere or another. :P

I've never seen a market for 2D and in SL or anyone that does them.  There is a tool or tools too that will make a 3D map that is sold. 

Basically anyone can make a 2D texture of a map of their sim that is drawn from the program that makes the big map in the viewer using a script and then edit in a graphics program to cut out their parcel if they don't have a full sim.  However having what looks like a RL map (maybe with topographical lines) to frame for a home or as a prop on a desk or table would be cool. 

You won't get RL prices for this kind of thing.  Although since it is custom work your prices wouldn't have to be dirt cheap either.  To test the market for something like that, make a texture of an example of what you offer and put it on MarketPlace as the picture, then offer a 'gift certificate' at a price that would most likely cover the cost of the typical map you are offering.  You could offer different price points for different size lots too.  In the description say that the certificate is good towards the total cost which may be more if the map is more complicated than normal.  That way you'd cover yourself for this situation.  You could also put an ad in classifieds advertising your service.

Welcome to SL and good luck in your endeavors!

Thanks for the reply and I think you've got the idea I was trying to get across. I've attached one of my maps that I've done for another game called Star Citizen in which they have an amazing existing 3D interactive map of each solar system and I turned out a more realistic "Paper" map as if someone had actaully paid for an old fashioned survey of the system. It's always good to have hard copies and I don'tknow anyone IRL that doesn't have a survey map of the land they own :)

I'd be happy to take a look at someone's sim and try to sketch up a realistic survey of their property if I had a volunteer :) I would have to figure out pricing as I went but for the testing I'll guarantee it's free ;)

PurveyorOfProperty wrote:

I'd be happy to take a look at someone's sim and try to sketch up a realistic survey of their property if I had a volunteer
:)
I would have to figure out pricing as I went but for the testing I'll guarantee it's free
;)

I could certainly need a map of Greater Coniston. Send me a private message here or an IM inworld if you want to look at it. :)

No one seems to really have explained property division SL.

The basic unit of land in SL is a region, 256m x 256m x 3,000m. Similar to a section of land iRL, USA. Actually about a 1/16th of a section.

The owner, individual or Linen, can divide the land into parcels. They can be sold or leased/rented. There are almost no size restrictions. One can go as small as 1m x1m to a full region. 1/2 region, 1/4 region are common. The basic parcel is 512 sq m and the shap varies. A sort of standard is L = 2 x W.

There are various ways to see the parcel boundaries. The way depends on the viewer you use. The Linden or default viewer is not all that great at showing parcel boundaries. Zoom out where you can see the land and press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-P to have the viewer draw the boundaries. You can also right-click on the terrain to reveal the parcel boundary. In the World Map you can click on Land Sale to see some boundaries.

Some third party viewers show boundaries in the Mini and World maps.

There are maps of the various continents in the wiki and online.

The map server generates some maps, mostly those used in the World Map. But, you'll see them used in other applications.

Since everyone has access to the boundary information in-world there is little need for mapping in SL. While in iRL finding a property line can be a challenge, in SL it is a right-click away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.