Creator/Merchants: Mac or PC?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Ebbe says that the focus of Sansar will be creators and also that there will only a Mac version down the road sometime. I am wondering what percentage of creators use Mac.

Check out this survey and vote 

I'm not sure I understand you, Pamela. Did Ebbe sat there will only be a Mac version down the road sometime? That seems odd, as PCs still dominate the market, even if not so much in the creative space.

Or did he say that a Mac version will become available down the road sometime? That's less odd. It's not uncommon for developers to ignore the Mac initially.

I ticked "Mac" in your survey, though I'd hardly be the sort of creator Sansar is said to target.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Ebbe says that the focus of Sansar will be creators and also that there will only a Mac version down the road sometime. I am wondering what percentage of creators use Mac.

Check out this survey and vote 

I'm not sure I understand you, Pamela. Did Ebbe sat there will only be a Mac version down the road sometime? That seems odd, as PCs still dominate the market, even if not so much in the creative space.

Or did he say that a Mac version will become available down the road sometime? That's less odd. It's not uncommon for developers to ignore the Mac initially.

I ticked "Mac" in your survey, though I'd hardly be the sort of creator Sansar is said to target.

Yes that was clunky, fixed. I read in the comments on NWN that someone went through 100 Steam games and 90+% had both OS's, and 90+% of those debuted with both. 

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

For Firestorm users, all users, not specificically creators:

~ 1% use Linux.

~ 10% use Mac

The rest are Windows.

Thanks -- that is about what I would have guessed. I have a little impression that creators may be a little higher (since we are silly impractical dreamers with our heads -- um, in the clouds -- not unlike Mac users).

(since we are silly impractical dreamers with our heads -- um, in the clouds -- not unlike Mac users)

I think you should speak for yourself regarding the head in the clouds comment Pamela. In the world of content creation Mac has always ruled and still does for quite practical reasons. The preference of Mac among professional content creators is extremely high. I agree it is something Linden Lab should consider very seriously.

As a bit more information also for creators who aren't using Blender.

3ds Max is PC only.

Maya PC and Mac.

I will fill in too - I use Mac but have Parellels for window only apps - so no issue for me if no Mac version initially.

Parellels is fairly cost effective with Windows 10.  Gives me the benefit of the hardware and OS I prefer for 90pct of my time, and when I am forced into Windows I have the capabilitiy from my Mac.

Bradford Mint wrote:

In what was does a Mac lead in content creation and for what obvious reasons?

Well here we go, as predicted. 

For interesting results, Google " why do designers prefer Mac" .  Then Google "why do designers prefer PC". 

Bradford Mint wrote:

Well apparently it's obvious so having to search for an answer seems unnecessary?

Bradford, Pamela gave you two Google search strings to try, so why are you wondering if searching is necessary? Do the search and comment on the results. If you don't like the results, craft a new search that supports your views and bring that to us.

This is not a thread about why Mac is better than PC -- but I have yet to see anyone mention that they use Mac that the PC brigade did not show up to tell us why we are stupid, sheeplike, and wrong to do so.

So, go ahead. Get it over with.

No need to search is there? Blaze said it's obvious. I'm asking why but if someone wants to make such a claim, be prepared to substantiate.

Maybe back in the mid 1990's there were platform and software differences that favoured Mac. I don't see why there's any difference these days beyond personal choice and I fully support that.

When it's inferred that I've not made the obvious favoured choice to use a particular solution, educate me...

Bradford Mint wrote:

No need to search is there? Blaze said it's obvious. I'm asking why but if someone wants to make such a claim, be prepared to substantiate.

Maybe back in the mid 1990's there were platform and software differences that favoured Mac. I don't see why there's any difference these days beyond personal choice and I fully support that.

When it's inferred that I've not made the obvious favoured choice to use a particular solution, educate me...

Although I'm a lifelong Mac user. I do not evangelize. I like what I like, and I don't always know why. I'm happy for you to do the same. I think you could easily find evidence of Wintel popularity in creative fields.

But these discussions are, as you suspect, not necessarily evidence based. And that's why I don't evangelize. That requires belief in the gospel.

I dont evangelize either, tho I have abundant experience with both platforms, and I know what I like and why. I dont understand why anyone cares what computer I use, car I drive, or supermarket I shop at, much less demands I explain to them why.

Approaching it from a game engine perspective because Sansar appears to want to be "that", only difference being that LL wants to host the games and provide the currency.

I liked this little breakdown of 3D tools and what OS's they support, as you can see Mac is widely supported across the board: http://blog.digitaltutors.com/great-flame-wars-mac-vs-pc-3d-artists/

Game engines themselves all port to most major OS's, so support is not lacking in comparable products.

Preferences aside the only real consideration is that when you need a lot of power for game dev, PC machines can be built out and customized more (of course you can probably say the same for Linux). For non heavy usage it really doesn't matter.

Oddly, while LL is stating that PC only is the target OS so far, they have been trying to hire someone with Metal experience, which is for Apple product. How far down the road, or when if ever is anyones guess.

When Sansar is more than a couple screenshots and dumb statements like "the Wordpress of VR"  it might be easier to tell more about what progress they're actually making.

Macs being better for 'creatives' (more commonly phrased as 'Macs are better for graphics') came about when Photoshop was Mac only.

More recently, Mac displays have been superior to most PC displays, but this is a false comparision - you can get PC displays with the same quality, its just that most people don't because they're expensive. With Macs, you have no choice.

All hardware differences were rendered superficial when Apple switched to Intel CPUs, anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.