Changing creator name with a prim

ChloeVida

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay so I went through the forum,I saw that this question has been answered before,but I am not sure what to believe.Some say it is RECOMMENDED and not against the TOS to change the creator name of a full perm by attaching a prim to it.Others say it is against the TOS.What do you think?

I wanted to join a freebies group as a designer,and they told me I need to have all the items I sell set with my name in the Creator field.

I think you're over-simplifying - I don't know if the Creator field is likely to be your issue. That doing this changes a field in the assets db is irrelevent if you're willingly violating others' intellectual property. The ToS mostly deals with the legality aspect, not the ethics of operating a business this way.

Are you allowed or licensed to resell these full perm objects without modification? Adding a prim and linking is not likely to count as modification.

Personally I wouldn't be within a couple kilometers of this operation, it doesn't strike me as particularly innovative or creative and I can't see how this adds any value to the existing full perm items.

Most FP creators do not want to be shown as the creator because they do not want to get the Support calls from people who do not know who they bought the object from, and assume it is the creator. The big plus of selling to creators is that they do not have to field the many support issues that retail merchants do.

Freya is right. I'll say it another way.

ToS does not prohibit you from attaching a prim and changing the Creator Field to show your name. So, no problem there.

The legal issue is part of RL law and the ToS. Do you have the right to sell the item in your name? If not you are breaking more than just the ToS.

In SL most of the creators of things have friends. Some have a legions of fans. The chances are those selling illegal rip-offs will be ratted out by people protecting someone they care about. If the creator files legal charges, the Lab will provide whatever RL information they have and things will move to the RL legal system. The money in SL has RL value and thus RL laws apply.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

I'll say it another way.

I never mind this - I've found both yours and Pamela's posts in this thread super-interesting. Pam's was neat 'cause it showed me that I do the same thing (dodging support) in my B2B scripting.

Often my word selection is not the best and tone gets peoples' backs up, so is good learning exercise!

Thanks to you both. :)

Pamela Galli wrote:

Most FP creators do not want to be shown as the creator because they do not want to get the Support calls from people who do not know who they bought the object from, and assume it is the creator. The big plus of selling to creators is that they do not have to field the many support issues that retail merchants do.

I've read terms from some FP providers, used to be mostly with sculpties, that insisted on this.  And disclaimers in their profiles explaining they only provided the "parts" that the Merchant used in their products.

Also, just to be pedantic, linking another prim does not change the creator name of the full perm item. All you're doing is attaching a different root object which shows as the creator of the linkset.

It's still trivial to inspect the linkset and see the creator of every component. That was probably already understood but just wanted to make it clear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.