Art movement for original content

Voodoo Schnyder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello merchants. Perhaps it's just me inspired by recently learning history and culture of arts at college but I think there should be a movement to promote original designs, by us as content creators/artists. I know internet doesn't take kindly to new ideas, but here are my thoughts.

The market place is filled with either badly designed stuff or game rips, the later being the most frowned upon back when mesh was implemented, but I see it now being dealt with an upsetting normality.

There should be a vanguardist movement to promote and link all stores that use a level of quality and time spent into their designs, those that do not download templates and assets from DAZ; turbosquid, or other online stores and then just click and import to Second Life.

Just my rough mind sketch.

Voodoo Schnyder wrote:

Hello merchants. Perhaps it's just me inspired by recently learning history and culture of arts at college but I think there should be a movement to promote original designs, by us as content creators/artists. I know internet doesn't take kindly to new ideas, but here are my thoughts.

The market place is filled with either badly designed stuff or game rips, the later being the most frowned upon back when mesh was implemented, but I see it now being dealt with an upsetting normality.

There should be a vanguardist movement to promote and link all stores that use a level of quality and time spent into their designs, those that do not download templates and assets from DAZ; turbosquid, or other online stores and then just click and import to Second Life.

Just my rough mind sketch.

Sounds like this group:

http://slocca.org/

Market place is a sea of the same clothing designer kits in different colors or textures.I stopped shopping years ago and only wear what I make and only sell a very few so my av is unique looking.That was done out of force as I use too enjoy shopping, but hate the wild goose chase it has become.

• 3 weeks later...

What I find somewhat amusing is how the majority (from my personal experience) of stores strive to replicate almost exactly items from RL - obviously it's what's in demand. I'm not deriding their designs - I've bought stuff myself, often items that I thought were fun or just beautiful.  But few seem to really think outside of the box and use the freedom that SL gives - items in SL don't have the physical constraints that they do in SL so why not do something different? But then...I've always been a touch on the surreal side lol. 

I suppose in going from RL to SL people want a sense of the familiar. Sorry..didn't mean to go offtopic but the original post about originality brought it to mind. 

I didn't know about slocca - thanks for the link Theresa.

In protest items would have no rips or openings, like...jumpsuits made of plastic. Avatars don't need zips! In fact, forget RL and avatars move to impressionism and change colors and substance. Like, clouds, spikes or a combonation of things that express as they speak or type. Coded avatars or SL viewers to do this and creations that sort of keep on going, longevity because they are original and don't disapear from your inventory. Join sim after sim in a huge continual belt across SL, buy sims abutting mainland and land among mainland and make a continuious place that runs all through everything else that has something continually running through it. Like a line, or maybe something else more symbolic. Whatever it is, must have no tears in it and stand forever. If someone drops thier land, another should be organized and in line to buy it. The presence, the continual presence and the symbology...yes, it sounds really neat.

I will have no part of it, but lend my insanity to your cause and wish I had the speed and maybe just the time or money to make the original cars I have brewing partially in my head and some on paper. Even a few odd vehicles and other items, even maybe some art stuff that serves little purpose other than to exist because it can....but, yeah, I haven't the speed or time to do this. But, yeah the virtual world needs new stuff rather than just RL stuff IMO. But I don't know if there is any incentive in it for many. It is harder to design a car, redner some visuals to help guide what you have realised on paper, draw up your own blueprints to help get started in 3D and then mesh it tall up and texture it. Of course, you can skip the 2D and work in 3D if you are good at concepting, detailing and then retopologizing it, sculpting can work for this for some items and I get lost for almost an hour seeing where the brush takes me in sculptris. I have nothing to show for it though, but a few vaugue ideas that spark my imagination. Wish I was faster and more efficient at drawing and 3D, or at least so good I couldn't tear myself away from it. I can't get good enough fast enough, so I have to do other things and try to eek out some money from the world for the world and wait to die.

But, yeah, Post Virtualist Expressionist avatars! Fun stuff, I should write that one down and play with it because it is maybe easier to generate some bits for and all sort of is based on parsing chat for words or emoting symbols. Add to that a friend/empathy part to the script and maybe some humurous stuff that is familiar, though different enough to be novel or new....ah, I have wasted to much time even typing this. Off to worry about money and death, bye. Good luck and good socializing, one seems to help the former out a bit so maybe you are in the right direction with this thread you started.

• 9 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.