2 Things that I Think would help both the Merchants and SL and the Lindens as a whole immensly

Rhiannon Ferraris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 Things i have observed over time, that i believe from a marketing perspective would assistn everyone in sl, Merchants, Lindens and other participants. The First one, is on the front page, when you sign in there should be something about SL being a Community. Because we are a Community this isn't Just a game. yes of course we have games here you can play. But this is a world wide community of creative and interesting individuals. Saying 'Play for Free' makes us sound like,  Sega or XBox or an arcarde and it doesn't encourage people to make connections or get a membership and become part of the community.

The other thing, is expanding the amount of Groups that a person can join and have on their list.. That is very important to marketing and it's important in making people feel connected and feel like they belong here. I believe raising this number would help both merchants and community organizations because then people wouldn't have to choose one ove rthe other, there would be plenty of room for both. A subscription is very nice, but it's not the same thing as signing your name and seeing it on a list.

I would strongly suggest these 2 things be looked in to, to assist the growth of secondl life.

Rhiannon Ferraris

Rhiannon Ferraris wrote:

2 Things i have observed over time, that i believe from a marketing perspective would assistn everyone in sl, Merchants, Lindens and other participants. The First one, is on the front page, when you sign in there should be something about SL being a Community. Because we are a Community this isn't Just a game. yes of course we have games here you can play. But this is a world wide community of creative and interesting individuals. Saying 'Play for Free' makes us sound like,  Sega or XBox or an arcarde and it doesn't encourage people to make connections or get a membership and become part of the community.

Ah, but it doesn't have to be a community. If i want to buy a homestead and set it so no one else can come on that land and sit there alone like a hermit all day, that is my choice.

What would you suggest as an alternative to "free to play"?

Rhiannon Ferraris wrote:

The other thing, is expanding the amount of Groups that a person can join and have on their list.. That is very important to marketing and it's important in making people feel connected and feel like they belong here. I believe raising this number would help both merchants and community organizations because then people wouldn't have to choose one ove rthe other, there would be plenty of room for both. A subscription is very nice, but it's not the same thing as signing your name and seeing it on a list.

I would strongly suggest these 2 things be looked in to, to assist the growth of secondl life.

Rhiannon Ferraris

42 isn't enough? WIth all the subscribe-o-matics out there, 42 groups ins't enough? Good lord. I would rather double the Picks section to 20 before adding more groups. If you don't set most if not all of your groups to not receive notices you will cap every single night. Yeah, let's add more.

Don't hold your breath. 

I agree that this is more community than game, but "Play for Free" is to appeal to gamers.  LL in its infinite wisdom are targeting that market for newbs.

It took us years to get the group limit raised from 25 to 42.  Increasing it isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever.  Groups were designed for land holding not marketing and social media.  For every group that you add to the allowable amount, that is hundreds of thousands of people for the servers to keep track of.  Groups are borked now due to the overload, they aren't going to add to the problems.

What was interesting was a recent thread in General where someone asked for help with a product and the rapid response was "contact the seller" to which the purchasers response was

"I dont know who sold it to me I bought it from online market place"

Now I don't know whether this is a "Marketplace issue" in that it creates a divide between merchant and purchaser, it certainly doesn't help when the recipient of the funds is an escrow account and the delivery or non delivery is handled 100% out of the responsibility of the merchant and with no effective communications method offered by the Marketplace, direct to a sellers email/IM, it's all a bit crap really.

The connection between buyer and seller has diminished.  Does this affect commerce?  Probably not, people still buy things, sellers still sell things but the notion of a community has possible tended more towards an expectation that SL is free and you get "stuff" from this web shop thingy with little correlation between where that content originates.

I don't feel that bumping up the number of groups just for spam purposes is necessarily the solution.  Maybe if there was a different type of group created such that there was a distinction bewteen land groups/chat groups or store groups?  That might work better but if there's no group chat allowed (as there often isn't in some store groups), then if only one way communications is expected, a subscriber group seems to be the appropriate solution.

Anyway, don't forget that SL is pretty much in maintenance mode with no work being done to really change the technology, this has about as much chance to change as spotting a pair of mating pink unicorns.

Lets not get confused about Viewer Managed Marketplace either, that's merely maintenance to finish off a 2 year overdue project to deliver "no copy" items.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.