How the heck do you make friends on Second Life?

TayGay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've had Second Life for almost 2 years now.

And I havent really made any good friends.

It gets so lonely on here!

I get it, I have a weird name lol, but I always try to be super nice.

Could that be a reason?

Any tips on what I could do, where I could go to make friends? Thanks~ :matte-motes-big-grin:

Your name doesn't indicate if you're Male or Female... making you a MorF!  But if male... Chat/IM all the girls that look to your liking! If you're Female... geez.. I don't know there!! HA!

I've found that Friends come/go QUICKLY in SL... the Good ones.. will stay with ya. 

Just get out there and Have FUN and participate!!

It takes some effort (your post here is a good start), and a bit of a thick skin, Gabby. I think I understand the "MONEY!" in your profile (who's not interested in it!) but wonder if that's helpful. "Why don't we keep things in SL? :)" might be seen as presupposing everybody is interested in crossing that divide. I don't believe that's true.

Hippie Bowman's circle of friends trade hosting duties for Sunday Breakfast each week. Look him up, join the breakfast group and stop by for some bacon and silliness.

You like music. Find clubs that play your favorites, frequent them, and watch the local banter. If it's too quiet, find another venue. After a couple weeks of watching, you should begin to get a feeling for the regulars and their relationships. Don't be afraid to contribute dribs and drabs to the flow of the conversation. Relentlessly perv profiles, and use what you learn there in local chat, to show that you're curious and thoughtful.

People love to be appreciated, including you and me. So, if you want appreciation, you've got to give it.

And It's not obvious to me that your RL profile photo isn't actually you. I know some very clever dogs. I don't say whether I'm Anne Francis or the cat in my RL photo. For those who don't know that Anne passed away, there might still be some uncertainty.

Good luck!

Rawr!

;-).

Easy Steps to meeting new people:matte-motes-little-laugh:

1. When I started , I navigated my viewer ( Firestorm ) to the best of my newbie abilities. Utlilizing a search bar in your viewer helps.
*Type in some points of interest . Me? I typed in DANCE, GAMES, & MOVIES
Note:
~I found CLUBS that I now work in.
~Places where you can play games with other people or gamble
~A cinema that has 4 theaters , each one showing movies that they change weekly !

2. I would hang out in a 'Safe Hub' . The safe hub is a neutral area that is you r "HOME" until you set a specific location or place as your hom.e You are bound to find some weird shoit there!

3. Open up the world MAP. ZOOM OUT. Click ANYWHERE and TP thee :3 .
You'll be amazed at the people and places you find !
I will be glad to take you on some of my explorations !!

~NinaCupcakes

AviNews wrote:

Your name doesn't indicate if you're Male or Female... making you a MorF!  But if male... Chat/IM all the girls that look to your liking! If you're Female... geez.. I don't know there!! HA!

This is probably the worst advice ever to get friends. Thats definitly not going to help and shouldn't be the tactic of choice if someone is out to find friends.

I have only been here a month and I have already made a lot of great SL buddies. How did I do it? I got involved! I joined the Roller Derby League, I hung out at the clubs and places most likely to have people who shared my interests and I was VOCAL! I do not wait for people to IM me. I IM them and if they are busy, or not interested in talking trust me they will let you know! If all else fails, IM me and I would be happy to hang out. I am always looking for new peeps!

Hello and a late welcome to SL

It can be tough to find friends here..and harder to find good friends.

The advise I usually give is to go into the search and find groups that fit your interests...when you find one, join it. Once you're in there...see how many people are on and send a group IM out..or IM the moderator. People are usually pretty good about answering messages and they can tell you where they're hanging out...what cool places you can go to, etc.

Maddy is right about the breakfast group. I've gone to a few and (besides having my wallet and keys lifted,:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:) I had a great time. There's a terrific group of people who go and you can meet lots of the people who post here.  I hope to be able to get out there now that my schedule on Sundays has changed...that is, if I can find my keys....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Get out there..don't be discouraged. It takes time...

hollowgirl78 wrote:

I have only been here a month and I have already made a lot of great SL buddies. How did I do it? I got involved! I joined the Roller Derby League, I hung out at the clubs and places most likely to have people who shared my interests and I was VOCAL! I do not wait for people to IM me. I IM them and if they are busy, or not interested in talking trust me they will let you know! If all else fails, IM me and I would be happy to hang out. I am always looking for new peeps!

Pleasant persistence will take you far. When I visit a new place with the intention of making friends, I perv every profile and then publicly engage those I find interesting. Even when I'm not interested in making new friends (because I've no time to lavish on them), when I visit a music venue, I often assign myself the role of unrequested greeter. I welcome every new arrival, usually by teasing them.

This is fun to do. It (hopefully) makes the new arrivals feel welcome, and it (again hopefully) amuses the regulars, who wonder who this odd creature is that's plopped in their lap.

When you realize that many people come here to make friends, failure to do so yourself becomes a solvable problem.

It's really not hard to find something to break the ice. For example... I think you should crowd source the creation of a screenplay for "Cthulhu on Wheels", and pitch the story to Disney.

;-).

I've seen some crazy names in SL and you know what... it doens't relaly matter what the name was or is.. it's a part of your creativity and shouldn't reflect on who is friends with ya.. sometimes it really depends on what you're into, try looking through the groups and whatnot to see how many are out there doing the same things that you love to do.. it might suprise you :)

Good friends are out there ... we just gotta stay positive and keep our heads up ;)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.