Friendly Greetings!

NikJove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there, 33 year old guy from UK returning to Second Life after a very long break.   My old account has been lost alas, along with my memories of how to actually interact with SL :)  I used to play seven or so years ago (wow how time flies) and in my past life used to be a sim owner, LSL Guru and general cool guy.  Now in my elder years, I seem to be unable to work out how to equip my hair without my trousers vanishing :)

Looking for friendly people to chat and explore with, sense of humour is a must knowing what the world eldritch means would be a bonus.

If I appear next to you with a box attached to myself, I apologise in advance, but the interface seems to have changed a lot :)

HI Nik - Welcome Back. A lot has changed over the years with mesh and alphas...etc. Many items now days have the same attach point so if you want to wear it many times it's best to select "add" or it will remove the previous attachment. BTW _ I have no idea what eldritch means. :matte-motes-agape:

Hi Nik.. Your post made me laugh as I can definitely relate to the sl re-entry learning curve! "Add" as opposed to "wear" is the key to your hair vs. trousers issue. It can be difficult to make friends without either. ;) I'm US east coast, so unless you're a night owl I don't know if I can be much help, but will gladly try. From free to IM. I think I meet the "chatty with a sense of humor" requirements, but admittedly woefully inept and had to Google "Eldritch"... Seems Minecraft, smashed together with Myst, no?

Thanks for the reply and the offer of help, slowly climbing the learning curve.  I night owl mostly at weekends, during the week, no so much - unless I lose track of time :) I'll make sure to IM you if I see you online - almost everyone I have met so far in SL seems to be US based :)

Nik, why don't you head over to the General Discussion part of the People Forum and introduce yourself with some provocative opinion, theory or postulate? The rumours that we skewer noobs and eat our own dead are (slightly) exaggerated, and the principal qualifications for being welcomed to the newly reforming community (a little like New Orleans after the floods, or Canterbury after the earthquake) are the demonstration of the critical two of the 23 senses (don't believe that nonsense about there being only five; anyway, in SL itself only two are available) that scientists have identified humans may possess, namely a sense of humour and a sense of proportion. You have already surpassed the informal literacy test by using an arcane word which is self-referential . . .

While some enthusiasts find the textual circus so engrossing they lose the will to go inworld, many use the multilogue there as a pole to vault into virtual sandpits, and some as a crutch to support them as they rebound from failed tp to sim crash.

Quality will out, and if you have the enthusiasm and initiative to participate there, you may acquire friends, information and some sort of reputation.

Oh, and in addition to it being an asynchronous communication mechanism, various of us there inhabit the Greenwich Meridian, as well as there existing an antipodean "night shift" from our point of view.

Now that is post I very much enjoyed reading, you are a wordsmith of high quality :)  I may well head over there and introduce myself, perhaps with some commonly asked question which I could quite easily use the search functionality to find the answer for, as I know how much you enjoy that ;)

NikJove wrote:

Now that is post I very much enjoyed reading, you are a wordsmith of high quality
:)
  I may well head over there and introduce myself, perhaps with some commonly asked question which I could quite easily use the search functionality to find the answer for, as I know how much you enjoy that
;)

Try a question about (im)morality. They are much more fun. "Is it cheating . . . " hasn't been raised for some time now!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.