no more warr

VenumusVortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As land along all Atoll railroads is increasingly abandoned, it's pretty clear that demand for WARR isn't nearly enough to justify its existence.

Granted, back when it was privately held, WARR was somewhat distinct from other rail on the continent, but that wouldn't have been preserved anyway unless a private party were to buy the whole line again.

Yeah, I hadn't heard that at all. It's very surprising they'd say that, but anyway, if they wanted it to be true, they'd have needed to take some steps. Otherwise, if anybody ever asks for a piece of it to be brought to auction, I think the folks who do that would just follow policy and add it to the auction queue. If you remember who said it, you might want to send them an email, alerting them to the auction... although it's a little late, as it seems to have a bid already. (Really, only a tiny bit of it is necessary to reconstruct WARR by laying the rails on the road through there -- which road it would have to cross anyway, somewhere.)

Yes, I noticed that because I own land in that area. I was hoping because it said "Linden Right of Way" for the longest time that the Lindens might put a railway there, or allow a resident rail road to go through. I wasn't wild about the destruction of the view of this nice area by this big railroad over pass high up in the sky before, however, as no one used it except AnneMarie Otoole's buses and cars -- anything but trains (she saves those for water passage).

Even so, a lower RR could have been built or even just a bridle path or something. Now it may become part of a pointless bidding frenzy as the auction of the waterfront parcel there was bid way up by someone with zero information on their profile, you just never know if this is land barons trying to drive up the price or actual end users who value the location.

The problem with railroads is that people like the idea of them but don't use them. I know because I maintain tier on one that runs for 4 sims built by Jer Straaf out of the Sutherland Dam. I almost never see anybody use it.

The fact that it was labelled "Linden Right of Way" and not available to sell as prim land after abandoned -- for the longest time -- years? -- means they did originally have plans for an RR or some path but they gave it up as they have given up on all Mainland things in connection with Project Sansar.

This was not the SLRR, but a resident railroad.

And they chose to abandon all this land. They didn't want to pay the tier. And I don't blame them because making railroads is pretty much only a hobby, hard to break even on it at all even if you sell trains and gadgets.

I bid on this and for some reason the auction didn't work despite several rounds. It was really very odd.

I then came in world and found someone flipping it from their auction win for $1.5/meter so I bought it.

This thread needs a lot of clarification.  The WARR was one of the most sophisticated lines ever on SL.  It was realistic, with even working signals that functioned in actual blocks.  I've used it, but not enough.  I've seen others use it as well, although they didn't understand the signals apparently.

RE:  Railroads don't get people

The WARR was much better than Jers railroad.  I wouldn't compare it to any of the others.

RE:  Lots of land being abandoned along the SLRR.  And RE:  nostaligia doesn't put money into the lindens pockets.

Lands abandoned because, why pay for land when you can just squat and live on an empty parcel?  Why do I bother to pay tier when I got 50 folks living by me that don't pay a dime?  And why when I can combine that with the annoying of having that giant shyster hearts image I see on the original image of this thread?

That section of the Atoll is severly lacking in railroads, but with how things are going, I'm not sure why to bother.

Israel Schnute wrote:

Lands abandoned because, why pay for land when you can just squat and live on an empty parcel?  Why do I bother to pay tier when I got 50 folks living by me that don't pay a dime?  And why when I can combine that with the annoying of having that giant shyster hearts image I see on the original image of this thread?

That section of the Atoll is severly lacking in railroads, but with how things are going, I'm not sure why to bother.

"Why bother" is a good instinct for all of SL now, but really, the Atoll has lots of railroad -- just no long the southern part that WARR served. Because lots of land is abandoned adjacent the SLRR, there are plenty of options for those who really want to be next to a railroad.

For those who want actual connection to the rails, though, it seems to be a bigger problem. I've heard that this is no longer generally available, except where such connections have already been made. In fact, there are depressingly many of those, too, where an SLRR switch connects track to empty land, so I can see where making yet more of those doesn't seem worthwhile now.

We all have to face it: an interest in rail is specialized, and with the SL population slowly declining, these "long tail" interests are harder and harder to sustain. So, while the WARR was more sophisticated, that made it even more specialized -- as you observed, few in SL would take the time to learn the signalling. If I were making Linden decisions, I honestly don't know if I'd think it a benefit to add more rail, however wonderful that rail may be -- when it would further spread out the already sparse geography of rail interests.

On the other hand, it's not as if there's any shortage of abandoned land, so reserving from auction the WARR lands, just in case, would seem to incur practically no cost to LL. I wonder, then, whether this latest auction was just a failure of communication inside the Lab.

Incidentally, I saw you posted elsewhere about squatters. I just don't see this nearly as much as years ago, mostly because auto-return is more common especially on abandoned parcels. I've long argued that enabling auto-return should automatically cut tier in half, which would reduce a host of problems -- but the Lab has made pretty clear that they'd rather shut down SL than change tier calculations.

there is a host of people who aren't around to rez things, just change into various sex outfits, or just to hang around and hobo it.  A term I'd hate to use because of the legit hobo group.

I guess I should clarify.  If I want to take a decent trip on the SLRR, with lots of possiblities, when I rez my train I can only go in one direction for all of the branch lines to get lost on.  If I go towards the former WARR, it's like pre-switch and expansion days.  There's not much to "do".  The WARR filled that gap.  it would be nice for some such possibility down that way.

I think the traffic on the SLRR may be down a bit, although the traffic counts seem ok.  once in a while I ride with someone who picks up a few people.  But it's always been tons better than the highways.  Though i can't speak for all of the mainland highways and byways.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.