What Happens?

Jill Rainfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What happens if something happens to land owner of mainland?

OK the land owner who is also a dear friend has been missing now since Oct 29, 2014

I just now noticed he is no longer a member of even the group that he owns which still owns Mainland so I can only assume that lindens have banned him for non payment of land tiers 

I know that one other member is named as owner of the group but it is only a title and she is not really a co owner 

what happens now to the land?

Does Linden Lab pursue the members of the group that still owns that land?

Although he is a close friend in second life i do not know what may have happened to him in his real life but can only assume he was killed or critically injured because he has not been able to return or log in to second life i know this because i know he would not leave us with out saying something to us all. 

How long it will be before they take the land back can't be predicted.  LL moves at its own time.  It's probably on the list of things to do by now, so it depends on where it is on the list.

LL doesn't have to warn anyone at all, but I know of a few times they did contact the group owner to see if they or anyone in the group wants to take over the tiers.  They won't contact everyone in the group.  If you are interested in taking it over I'd file a support ticket and let them know the circumstances and that you'd like to take over the tier payments.

If any of you have any no transfer items on the land, it's probably best if you pick them up asap.  LL will return everything when they repossess, but sometimes things have been known to be lost in the return.

my friends do have no copy items on the land i cannot afford to take it over as is i have now just what i myself can comfortably afford i do not know if any of the other members can afford to take it over however none of them own the group

it sure would be nice if they give a warning before taking it

also i think it is not fair to ban someone because some thing happen to them so they are no longer able to log in to sl let alone keep paying for land

how it should work is like this

rather then bill for land you owned in previous month they would bill a month in advance the moment you purchase land then as soon as you cannot pay once again in advance they take back the land but not ban you from second life

Jill Rainfall wrote:

I just now noticed he is no longer a member of even the group that he owns which still owns Mainland so I can only assume that lindens have banned him for non payment of land tiers 

That never happens. It's impossible to guess why he's no longer a member of the landowning group, but it's certainly not the case that he was banned for not paying the tier. If the Lab ever gets around to recognizing that the group no longer has sufficient contributed tier, it will eventually take back the land (as already described), but nobody is going to get banned because of it.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about no-copy objects rezzed on the land. They should get returned along with everything else if / when the Lab reclaims the land in preparation for putting it on auction. It may be a royal pain in the butt to extricate the good stuff from all the junk that gets returned in coalesced objects, but (almost always) it will all be in there somewhere.

That conclusion isn't justified by the facts in evidence. Firstly, we can't conclude that he's banned just because he was removed as a group owner. Secondly, even if he is banned, we can't conclude that it happened just because he didn't pay tier. For that matter, we can't conclude that he was removed as group owner just because he didn't pay tier.

I'll guess that you have other evidence of some sort that he wasn't merely removed from the group but was in fact banned sometime after his last login. There are many possible reasons that could happen, but not simple failure to pay tier, which happens all the time without anybody getting banned. 

He may have left the group voluntarily.  If he did this then you wouldn't be able to see when he has been online since October, unless you are a member of a group that he is still belongs to.

He may have died and his estate notified LL to cancel his account and LL just hasn't gotten around to repossessing his land.

If he was banned, then it would be for bad behavior of some sort.  People are only put on Administrative Hold (suspended) for overdue tier.  Even if they repossess his land, he could still log in again after he paid the amount he owes.  People have left SL for years and returned by paying the amount owed in tier then logged in to find they have carried a negative $L's balance for years.

LL doesn't remove you from groups that I know, especially one that you are the owner of. That's usually done voluntarily. Since he's left all the groups he was in, looks like he chose to leave SL or, as you are thinking, someone left the groups for him by signing on to his account. If you can't afford to take over, best bet would be to take up your stuff and find someplace else before LL evicts the group and reclaims the land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.