The Lindens Should Give the Mainlanders a Present Too

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Lindens recently put out an offer of grandfathering islands -- you pay $600 in advance and get a grandfathered sim.

Then today, they had a present for the premium account. It's nice as far as it goes. But here's the thing.

I want a present for the Mainland.

I want a tier break on the Mainland.

I think 512 meters per every year in Second Life might be a good idea. After 8 years, you'd finally get a 4096. After 16 years, you'd have 8192. That seems more than fair, and it would help soak up abandoned land and get it paying tier. This is why it needs to be done!

The early Charter members got 4096 m tier-free for life. So something like that needs to be done. Maybe it's only an extra 512 on top of the free premium 512. But SOMETHING for having hung on all these years.

As it is, I don't even get a birthday cake for my rez day anymore. The last one I have is like from 2012.

Also, please don't tell me the 10% tier discount in group land is a present enough. It's not. If you need my explanation why, see my blog. The bonus merely goes to making areas look a little better by not having parcels smack against each other, or gives you a free extra prims. As it is, certain olbies agitate to have this removed -- crazy!

Mainlanders need every incentive they can get. Premium gifts are ok as far as they go, once a quarter or so. But, you know we got stuff like this from {what's next} already.

We need a significant present to reward our long-suffering endurance.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

... That seems more than fair, and it would help soak up abandoned land and get it paying tier. This is why it needs to be done!

Agreed to the whole post, but especially the part here, where it's not merely a "present" but a sound business decision -- and not only because it encourages customer retention (reason enough on its own) but because it would in fact encourage more of the abandoned land to be taken up and paying more total tier. That's because Mainland density is low enough now that increased development makes the whole less desolate and thus more appealing.

I think a larger share of Mainland in the hands of long-time residents (especially long-time Mainland owners) would be about the best way to improve the overall appeal of Mainland. We know from experience what works here, with constraints unlike those of Estates.

An improved Mainland would not pose significant competition to Estates, and would only increase LL revenues.

As a longtime Mainlander even I am tempted to trade my full-sim Mainland tier for a full Estate sim at the same $195/mo grandfathered rate. The one-time buy-in notwithstanding, it is really not in LL's long-term interest that I or anyone make such a move as long as Mainland adds fixed cost to grid operations.

To be honest, I'd even consider a similar buy-down option for a Mainland tier reduction or area expansion. I, too, would prefer a "present" but I can't deny I'd look at a buy-down offer.

Lindens gifts are useless to long term members its like offering natives sea shells and baubles for their custom...

What this customer wants is recognition of his long term support for Second Life a free yatch or house isn't going to wash, my inventory is overflowing with quality boats, ships, submarines and every variety of house. What's needed is a large increase in the free land allowance and a reduction in tiers - payable in my own currency to sidestep exchange issues. Reduce tiers and sell abandoned land - more customers, happier customers ultimately more money for Lindens its not rocket science.

I would be more than happy to do a buy down similar to what Estate owners now have. In my mind one of the only draws I am able to offer my mainland renters is a smaller rental fee per prim. With that gone . whats the point of mainland, with all its fun bonus's like clutter and horrid builds and griefers? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.