Strange new road texture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

New road texture been added to the old mainland continent for a while now. The old texture sure was not the best. But i dont think this new texture is an improvement. The new texture looks very unrealistic and it will be difficult to make matching driveways and parking area's.This road would maybe work with some outlined cartoon house.

Seems even LDPW themself failed to make this texture match the remade rez area at the start of the road. As seen in : http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Noyo/67/191/43

The new pavement currently reach to the border of Bodega and Bolinas. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bolinas/3/89/39 I wonder how far it will spread.

Anyone have any thoughts about this new texture? I would love to hear some opinions.

I believe the texture has been there for a few months now (since about the beginning of the year I think).  It's something different and provides variety so that's good.  Ultimately, I don't care for it, though.  It looks too cartoonish and doesn't seem to fit.  I prefer the more realistic texture.  I hope it doesn't spread any further, and I definately hope it doesn't come my way.

It doesn't look to me like any sculpts or mesh were used to make the road/curves - just lots of prims.

Yeah they are blocks of 3 meters long, each consisting of 3 to 4 prims. They're also 10m in height, making sure that it looks stable on bumpy landscapes. I think the idea behind it isn't bad, but yeah the texture looks very out of place. It would do more justice in futuristic or cartoon themed sims, not the generic mainland "village" areas.

The junctions are just horrible. They do it like that to cover the sidewalk obviously, but even for a cartoon that is not done.

The texture is too dark and too blue/greenish. I've never seen RL sidewalks in that colour either. A road like this, you expect asphalt. I'm sure somebody could do a much more realistic texture without putting too much time into it. :)

The biggest challenge would be slapping it onto all those prims lol. Though I'd gladly do it if it meant making the road look cool again.

It looks intentionally blurred so that snapshots will look like the person is speeding along at 60mph, rather than the usual SL 6mph. :D

A bad interraction with a mole making these in 2009, who ran roughshod over the shape of the sim I was in - educated me to the process on these.

They use an automated thing that runs through a path and alters the height of the land with I think some flatten setting - but ends up resulting in odd spots. Then they follow back with another that drops prims behind itself, and was even made to look like one of those big rollers you see on roads being paved in RL.

- They then lack permission to fix any flaws (which is where things got rough as I got terse with the mole - as the thing he was using moved the land up and then the road was actually floating above it). Oddly a month after I sold my lot, someone had come back and fixed the land, something I'd been told was not possible.

So the moles laying these out might have no control over what they're putting down. Just handed a thing and told to go along a given route. Where imperfections land, residents and moles have no recourse other than support tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

This was originally the stretch from Mavericks to Bolinas, and I had hoped it was, say, a temporary texture of its ilk. Much of the metalwork in that area is also that "SL green." It was a shame to see it expanded out form Bolinas and up to Noyo.

I hope the road color could be reconsidered. Perhaps a ticket or two to the lab, via Land > Linden Lab Owner Parcels (or whatever its called on the drop down)? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

LL has changed the road texture again. The new texture is lot better. Thank you LL.

Edit: i wonder if im looking at a work in progress. To me it looks like the texture should be rotated 180degrees. Now the yellow cut line is on the edge of the road, not on the center. Anyway, im happy even if the road stays like this. Making matching driveways to this road is possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.