Starry, starry night...but

Muletta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder about those monster sky-domes, which pops up a lot of places on mainland.

One thing is, that I do not think anyone should build anything in sky, below a hight of 300 meters, but another thing is...why on Earth (or sky, should I say), are they made with such a high glow on the outside?
Who would feel a pleasure of looking at such a glow?

Maybe the seller/creator wants to make the domes more visible, so they will attrack new costumers. - I doubt that this effect works in a positive way.

A huge shiny blue luminously monster, which totally ruins the view of the sky...who would feel attracted by such a sight?

What is the purpose of making these domes in such a strong shining colour, you think?

Sky-domes.jpgSky-domes 2.jpg

I think it's a combination of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and ignorance. It takes a while to learn how one's actions affect others in SL. Some of us learn faster than others, either by nature or nurture.

I recently had to move all of my sky structures because another resident rezzed a huge dome that encroached on some of them and even enclosed one. I'd done such a good job of making my structures innocuous (some are only visible from above, I make their bottom faces transparent) that they didn't know they'd just build their dome under and around them. They were frightfully sorry when I chatted with them and will hopefully be more careful in the future.

Fortunately, Firestorm's "Derender + Blacklist" is easy to use.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I think it's a combination of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and ignorance. It takes a while to learn how one's actions affect others in SL. Some of us learn faster than others, either by nature or nurture.

I recently had to move all of my sky structures because another resident rezzed a huge dome that encroached on some of them and even enclosed one. I'd done such a good job of making my structures innocuous (some are only visible from above, I make their bottom faces transparent) that they didn't know they'd just build their dome under and around them. They were frightfully sorry when I chatted with them and will hopefully be more careful in the future.

But - then we forget that our neighbor has rezzed a 60 meter high parcel sized stone column to perch their parcel sized house on.  Cuz they bought land on the slope of hilly snow land.  So my friends visit and say 'gee Qwal, your view is crap'   Then I say - derender and blacklist are easy to use.... Then they leave after derendering the first 25 objects.

Okay, my friends don't really visit much.  I'm trying to make a point here.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

But - then we forget that our neighbor has rezzed a 60 meter high parcel sized stone column to perch their parcel sized house on.  Cuz they bought land on the slope of hilly snow land.  So my friends visit and say 'gee Qwal, your view is crap'   Then I say - derender and blacklist are easy to use.... Then they leave after derendering the first 25 objects.

Okay, my friends don't really visit much.  I'm trying to make a point here.

I get your point, and I'm not advocating silent acquiescence. I notified my new neighbors of their encroachment, and it was easier for me to move my things than for them to move theirs. I'd rather not have their giant dome hovering above my little contemplation spots, but I'm rarely in-world, so pressing the issue seems too self centered.

Now, should my new new neighbors erect another structure that encroaches on mine or fouls my view, I'll be considerably less understanding.

And it sounds like I need to come visit.

;-).

Yes, you are right about the possibility of derendering things, we do not want to look at. But if you for example would like to set your parcel for sale, I don't think you can count on, that a potentiel buyer thinks this way... he would just hurry up and run far, far away.

I have never complained about any buildings on others parcels, but once I wrote to the owner of a huge ugly twinkling sign, which of course had the purpose of getting customers to visit the owners place...I told her, that her sign had the opposite effect, as everybody I talked with, were angry because the sign ruined their view and ruined their romantic evenings, with its flashing of light, and that noone would ever even think of visiting her store, because of that.

It is difficult to know, why some creators and builders, do the way they do... and beauty is always a matter of taste, of course...but why not aim at creating huge buildings in sky or on ground in such a way, that they will annoy the majority of other people, as little as possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.