Protecting Roads in Second Life - Can you help with my request to fix the south end of Route 6?

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think that the roads that link parts of the Mainland are one of Second Life's greatest assets. Recently I submitted a JIRA and I would love for someone else to go to the JIRA and comment that they think this is a good idea. Thanks!

Assignee: Dee Linden

Complete Route 6, High Mountain Road, Route through end of Great Wall in Horisme to the Robin Loop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key: BUG-20072
URL: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-20072
Project: 1. BUG Project
Issue Type: New Feature Request
Security Level: Public
Environment: Feature
Reporter: Rufferta
Assignee: Dee Linden

h1. How would you like the feature to work?
When Route 6 was originally constructed, there was apparently an entrance/exit through the interior of the Great Wall through the South end of the Wall at Horisme. Apparently the land near the entrance passed to private hands and now if you want to get inside the Great Wall through the South end the only entrance is through a commercial structure. I don't want you to dislodge the business - they have done a great job of matching their build to the Wall, but there is currently a patch of Protected Land to the South, and a recently abandoned parcel to the East and it seems like it would be an easy matter to make another exit/entrance on that side and extend the road so that Route 6 would connect with the Robin Loop. Oh, and someone should fix the 'soft spots' on top and inside the Great Wall. I am only an approximate builder, but I would be glad to do the job for you if you give me mole powers for a while. :) I did try to do some de-rendering, and the Wall seems to be made of big chunks that should be simple to remove. The original ramp was just a pile of rough logs, and I could do that, too...
h1. Why is this feature important to you? How would it benefit the community?
Anyone who might try to navigate Route 6 from the North end will find themselves at a dead end, only a few feet from Robin Loop, but with no way to get further except through someone's business. I've read at least one blog post where an excited newb became discouraged after trying to navigate the Great Wall and constantly falling through soft spots on the top and inside. I think the Great Wall could be an interesting tourist destination, but I wouldn't recommend it now.

Rufferta wrote:

and it seems like it would be an easy matter to make another exit/entrance on that side and extend the road so that Route 6 would connect with the Robin Loop.

Interesting idea, you've got my vote. The best solution would probably be to extend the wall through the northeast corner of Minoa and then into Vine but that may be a bit too big a project.

Or how abobut some cool alternative way to get vehicles and such on and off the wall at that point. A huge ancient Egyptian style elevator for example? ;)

Unfortunately there is very little chance LL will update a mainland build as old as this but it's worth asking.

Rufferta wrote:

Oh, and someone should fix the 'soft spots' on top and inside the Great Wall.

Those are unsecured sim crossings. I suggest you open a support case att. Michael Linden about that. Fixing small errors like that is all in a dau's work for a Mole.

ChinRey wrote:

Or how abobut some cool alternative way to get vehicles and such on and off the wall at that point. A huge ancient Egyptian style elevator for example?
;)

Unfortunately there is very little chance LL will update a mainland build as old as this but it's worth asking..

i like that elevator idea. Is great idea. (:

at the moment to get our vehicles up on top then have to edit lift the vehicle up with us on it to get round any parcel rez/returns limits

at the SL13B Patch Linden (i think was him) said that the Mole team is still in place and still doing stuff. So I think that they might put it on their list to do someday, if asked as a feature request

am pretty sure there is a Mole (given that some moles are olbies and into SL historicals) would be keen to fix the wall up

eta: burble

I wish they would reimpliment the entire mole program as well as add sailable water between all continents, and another layer around the edges in places with just a small ROW.

There are so many renovation and improvement tasks that could be done, even if it's just planting seaweed.

It appears that jira is closed now. I clicked "Watch" but that has no effect. As Dee comments, they did respond by making an opening, at least, so the lower deck roadway isn't quite as concealed, but yeah, that's a very strange arrangement down there and apparently has been since at least 2012.

One thing that might be interesting if it corresponds to any reality: that 7072 sq.m. section of protected land at the end of the Great Wall where it meets Robin Loop? It shows as "claimed" March 8th of this year. Such dates are notoriously unreliable, but usually it means that something changed on that date.

Also, I'm certainly nobody to complain about encroaching on Linden land with content of community benefit (the VRC does so many places [EDIT: including just one sim north in Epirrhoe]), but this is... oh, never mind. I'm probably just flashing-back to the days when funky faux-Egyptian junk was thick on the SL ground.

They fixed it! It is not an elaborate fix, but perhaps the next explorer who tries going down the inside of the Great Wall won't come up at a dead end. 

Qie Niangao wrote:

It appears that jira is closed now. I clicked "Watch" but that has no effect. As Dee comments, they did respond by making an opening, at least, so the lower deck roadway isn't quite as concealed, but yeah, that's a very strange arrangement down there and apparently has been since at least 2012.

One thing that might be interesting
if
 it corresponds to any reality: that 7072 sq.m. section of protected land at the end of the Great Wall where it meets Robin Loop? It shows as "claimed" March 8th of this year. Such dates are notoriously unreliable, but
usually
it means that
something
changed on that date.

Also, I'm certainly nobody to complain about encroaching on Linden land with content of community benefit (the VRC does so many places [EDIT: including just one sim north in Epirrhoe]), but this is... oh, never mind. I'm probably just flashing-back to the days when funky faux-Egyptian junk was thick on the SL ground.

The earlier photo I posted was from when the land was being sold in 2012. I don't know how many times the land has changed hands since then.

As for the railroads, I think they are a great asset to the Mainland, and one of the things that makes Second Life stand out from other virtual worlds. I'm adding a post about "Riding the Rails in Second Life" to my blog, and I'm having great fun doing the research. 

Thank you again to everyone who helped, and let me know if there is something you would like me to help with, within my limitations, of course.

wherorangi wrote:

yes. Hopefully thats been referred to the other LL team and they will fix

I actually got an email from Michael Linden that they are working on the sim buffers. Wow! That restores a lot of my faith in the Lindens.

I'm not going to press my luck by asking for anything else for a while, since I am just a tiny fish trying to swim with a school of much bigger fish, but it was very nice to be heard. Thanks again, everyone who helped, and Thank You, Lindens.

like Prokofy mentions. Whatever are those Lindens doing being ever so helpful these days ?

like did somebody buy them a cake or something (:

maybe not literally but is maybe true in another way

Sansar !

i went to the SLB13 talk with Oz Linden and Landon Linden. Was apparent to me that Oz Linden seems to see Sansar as his own personal competition. That he and his team, and the other SL dedicated staff, have decided (seems to me) to want to give the Sansar team a run for their money. That while they all work for the same company, the SL-dedicated staff arent just going to roll over for Sansar or anyone

is kinda reminiscent of what Oz Linden said when he first came to SL/LL. He said back then: Watch our dust

lots of ppl laughed at that at the time. Nobody from then is much laughing now tho. He is pretty smoking hot these days, with what they his team have accomplished since he has been the boss of SL dev

eta. And all the other SL teams as well. Like Xiola, Michael, Patch, Dee and all them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.