New Horizon Bids Up to US $50-100

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And that lets me know "not for us". If I have an extra US $50 or US $100, I'd spend that on a RL Christmas present for a real-life loved one or a bill in RL.

Not on SL land.

It's not justified because you can't make it back in rent for a very long time, and I'm not interested in being in the land sales business.

This might be somewhat under what the Nautilus parcels went for on the auction (although not inworld, where they got even more expensive).

Sadly, we no longer have the auction transparency we had 10 years ago when you could see the names of people who had bid and won auctions (a very important factor in a free market).

Now you would have to hurry inworld to see and it may flip three times before you'll tell.

But I suspect the same deep pockets are bidding here as they do in Zindra.

It will be interesting to see if these prices come down after more are brought on line. There are nearly 1000 of them I believe. I counted 32 houses on one sim. Others count less houses because on some sims there are infohubs or islands or whatever I guess. In any event, it's a lot for SL to absorb, and that may help bring down prices.

No one is wild about the house design. Perhaps some enterprising soul will help to sell resident-made housing and furniture for this continent and this market, i.e. the Jetsons' theme without the one-room limitation or ugly rug or odd angles. You don't need odd angles to spell "Space".

Prokofy Neva wrote:

And that lets me know "not for us". If I have an extra US $50 or US $100, I'd spend that on a RL Christmas present for a real-life loved one or a bill in RL.

Not on SL land.

It's not justified because you can't make it back in rent for a very long time, and I'm not interested in being in the land sales business.

This might be somewhat under what the Nautilus parcels went for on the auction (although not inworld, where they got even more expensive).

Sadly, we no longer have the auction transparency we had 10 years ago when you could see the names of people who had bid and won auctions (a very important factor in a free market).

Now you would have to hurry inworld to see and it may flip three times before you'll tell.

But I suspect the same deep pockets are bidding here as they do in Zindra.

It will be interesting to see if these prices come down after more are brought on line. There are nearly 1000 of them I believe. I counted 32 houses on one sim. Others count less houses because on some sims there are infohubs or islands or whatever I guess. In any event, it's a lot for SL to absorb, and that may help bring down prices.

No one is wild about the house design. Perhaps some enterprising soul will help to sell resident-made housing and furniture for this continent and this market, i.e. the Jetsons' theme without the one-room limitation or ugly rug or odd angles. You don't need odd angles to spell "Space".

Great you think so much about you loved ones and give them nice presents.

For somebody who isn't interested you spend quite some posts on this subject.

Others seem to be interested in getting such parcels... so what?

I am glad to see I am not the only one who is disgusted by that auction. I was excited at first and ready to up my tier from the basic premium to be able to have one of the horizon plots. 3 hours later when I was able to log into the auction site, they were well over what any sane person woudl pay for a 1024. I suppose I can foolishly hope that they turn parts of Mainland, where the linden homes are, into adult rating.

The bids now are even behind what I reported, to $111. But 10 more came online today so it may be that the price is kept at least at this level, or goes lower.

@Alwin Alcott I take an interest and blog about events in SL regardless of whether I myself am interested in participating in them. That's normal in a free society. Given the sourness with which you approach ever topic here, I wonder why *you* bother. But of course, the forums are the game-outside-the-game as as gamerz know.

@November Velde now that's a good idea, asking Linden to make some of those existing Linden Homes "adult". This is literally the flick of a server category so shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder why the Lindens couldn't have charged a flat fee for this new land. For example: super premium account, $25 to join, $9.95 after, the initial fee gives you the 1024, house and furniture, but then you go on paying premium which is upped to 1024 free tier, not 512 free tier. People don't like the vagaries and frustrations of auctions, and if they want this area, they'd pay for it. Maybe even more than $25. Naturally that's the Lindens competing with their own customers again, yet allowing the oligarch system to persist (not the same as a free economy), really, all they get on Linden-denominated auctions are sinks, i.e. a tightening of the loose money supply. Will we see the LindEx Linden value increase as a result?

So the mystery of why there is all this buying and holding of adult land continues...

People wonder idly how this can be afforded if "never" sold. But I would suggest it *does* sell, even if slowly.

If you do the math, you realize that the real cost of SL is tier, not purchase price, and if you can hold tier for months on end, then you can charge a very high price that will cover those months of tier, and still make a profit. So the two go together -- holding for a long time and charging a lot. One sustains the other.

November Velde wrote:

I am glad to see I am not the only one who is disgusted by that auction. I was excited at first and ready to up my tier from the basic premium to be able to have one of the horizon plots. 3 hours later when I was able to log into the auction site, they were well over what any sane person woudl pay for a 1024. I suppose I can foolishly hope that they turn parts of Mainland, where the linden homes are, into adult rating.

these prices are completely and totally in line what developed land always did when it was released.

Like it or not, but it;s how commercial sales work. Don't want to spend it?...fine... don't.

undeveloped mainland also went for 20/30 or more L$ /m in the past ... 1024 would also have cost you 30k ... that its not even 1L$/m is now is also the market...

Alwin Alcott wrote:

these prices are completely and totally in line what developed land always did when it was released.

Like it or not, but it;s how commercial sales work. Don't want to spend it?...fine... don't.

Indeed.

Personally I have no interest in those parcels at all. It's not somewhere I would like to live and I can't see how a project like that can have any significant influence on the rest of SL. But the fact that somebody actually are willing to spend that kind of money on Second Life land in 2016, now that is interesting. Perhaps even more interesting is the fact that LL still has the drive and creativity to take on such a project.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

There are nearly 1000 of them I believe. I counted 32 houses on one sim. Others count less houses because on some sims there are infohubs or islands or whatever I guess.

24 houses there are on each and every sim there. It's very hard to count on the grund since it's difficult to keep track on where the sim borders go but try to count them on the map. Or do the math. 32 702 prim parcels add up to 22464 prims which means there would only be 36 prims left for the houses, the roads and all the other fixed items.

In any case, 864 or nearly 1000 new parcels is a lot in itself but not compared to the large number of existing avaiable parcels in Zindra and on private A rated sims so the number shouldn't really matter for the A rated land market as a whole.

I think it's a good move financially for SL though. They don't need to fill up those sims to make a profit, tier from a quarter of the parcels should be more than enough to finance the entire Horizon continent. I can't imagine they'll make big money from it but profit is profit and for them there is hardly any risk at all.

Really no need to try- I see several land barrons buying them up- rent for a couple- three weeks- get bored move on--- mothing great there really- went sailing in the circle and the SIMS are just as bad as Blakes-- go figure-- 

Callum Meriman wrote:

karynmaria wrote:

HAHA someone already put a teepee on one of the lots and it is for sale for 89,000L.

That's US$330 

I don't even want to think of that in Canadian.  I wasn't around SL when Bay City and Zindra came out, but I do see all the for sale signs espcially in Zindra.  I guess I was kind of hoping that this would be different.  And yes I know LL wants to make money and so do others but it is just so sad all that land sitting around and no one buys it and no one to enjoy the plots you know?  And all because no one can afford them.  Just seems like a waste, I thought this Horizons was going to be different.

One of those teepee's appearred on the land next to me a few days ago. It's in the heterocera delta and priced at 7.5L$/m which is a little overpriced for the region but not as ridiculus as the plot on horizon. At least the Teepee looks a lot better then a big for sale sign.... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still trying to wrap my mind around this whole project. Went to check out Horizons a week or so ago and was not really impressed with what I found. Cool of LL to take a stab at a premium themed region at least?!  But holy **bleep** those auction prices 0______0 

SAULGOODiE wrote:

Still trying to wrap my mind around this whole project. Went to check out Horizons a week or so ago and was not really impressed with what I found.

I'm there now. Two observations:

1. Lowest sale price I found at a quick glance is 18,000 Lindens. Since prices are likely to still drop quite a bit, I would expect a level around 10,000 once the newsworthiness has faded. Possibly lower.
  2. A few of the inhabitated parcels use the default houses. Apart from those, I can see one that has a building trying to follow the sci-fi theme. The rest are just the regular mix you see everywhere else. So forget everything about Horizon being a themed region, people aren't interested and it's already too late for LL to enforce any kind of building regulations.

In other words: no surprises there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.