Mainland Rules?

PippaB00

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm told there are mainland rules, but I'm having a hardtime finding them. I was told by SL support that shyboxes should be at lest 250 ft ( which I think  is WAY too low), but he could not show me a link to these rules. Can someone give me guidance please?

Here are the policies for mainland: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Mainland_policies

In short, you have to stick to the maturity rating. You have to keep your stuff on your land, so be sure nothing sticks over and your particles/notecard givers/security orbs aren't spamming your neighbours. Use a bit of common sense with scripted objects, so you don't lag/crash the sim.

The things that are not so obvious are ad farm, land-cutting and bot rules. Unlikely that you intended to do anything to break those, but it's good to know them. You can abuse report people who harm your sim that way.

If there's something specific to the sim you're on, it'll be under "Covenant" in the "About Land". Most mainland will have nothing there.

The only time I've heard the skybox thing is residents saying it'd be a good idea to have a limit of 250m. That may be what the support person meant. Or I may have missed an announcement somewhere. But there's no mention of skyboxes in the official policies I've linked above. Generally, they don't care what you build, as long as it doesn't break any other rules. It's not like a private estate where someone will judge if your build is good and meets their vision.... and in reverse, you can't report someone because you think their build is a bit ugly.

Polenth Yue wrote:

In short, you have to stick to the maturity rating. You have to keep your stuff on your land, so
be sure nothing sticks over and your particles/notecard givers/security orbs aren't spamming your neighbours
. Use a bit of common sense with scripted objects, so you don't lag/crash the sim.

I really hope more people are reporting security orbs and notecard givers that trigger on people in public land and either have ample time for people who may be lagging or on a slow connection to realize what's going on.  There's a special place in digital hell for people who don't have consideration for people who are already having difficulty.

There isn't a rule from Linden Lab about how high a skybox should go. They would find it impossible to enforce that and it wouldn't make sense. There are terms of service rules that apply to the Mainland in general as they do anywhere in SL.

I used to have a rule of 250 meters in my rentals. As the viewers got better and people began to see more in SL, I changed this to 500 meters to keep domes and platforms out of the view which is annoying. 500 seems reasonable. You have up to 4096 after which teleports won't work.

I'm grateful that you are even asking this question. I'm always amazed that some people buy prime beautiful sandy beaches in SL, which gorgeous Linden landscaping, trees, even nice builds all around and a pretty road, and then stick up a huge brightly coloured glowing dome just a few dozen meters above ground so that it hovers over the whole sim and ruins the view on the 4 adjacent sims for everybody. It's an astounding act of selfishness. There is absolutely no need for this whatsoever. If you are living a sequestered life inside a dome (and I see people recreate beaches and water inside such domes which makes no sense whatsoever if outside is even prettier) then why can't you put that dome 500 meters or even higher. It gives you more privacy and stops wrecking the view.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just reported a guy who land-cutted at auction to resell.  LL didn't do anything but return 2 of my prims that I guess overlapped the abusers parcels by a millimeter. 

I assume it's another policy that is not enforced at all.  Silly me for thinking that link is actually full of rules.

So, the only rules are common sense.  Don't impede air traffic or ground traffic.  Make your security orb by a few seconds at least.  Those 0 second ones are murder and annoying.  There's a neat obilsk of mainland rules that people pass around. 

Yeah, but Land Cutting is definitely against TOS by incorporation of those Mainland policies.

Like the poster, I too have had mixed success getting results correcting land-cutting, but sometimes they'll act if they get to it before too much damage is already done, and they'll almost always at least clear the for-sale setting of any remaining split microparcels if owned by the land cutter and alts.

Although we've been told mass abuse reports don't work, calling in the Arbor Project cavalry still helps, even though there aren't that many of us still active.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Although we've been told mass abuse reports don't work,

I'm not so sure about that. I was actually told by Linden Lab in response to a support ticket that I might have to file an abuse report several times before they took action.

Qie Niangao wrote:

calling in the Arbor Project cavalry still helps, even though there aren't that many of us still active.

The Arbor Project never sleeps, we just stay quietly in the background most of the time. ^_^

• 1 month later...

MarinaCatalina wrote:

I could not have said it better...and there are two big rental businesses that have made a mess of second life by placing their domes too low in the sky....and they are huge.....

.::Bella Pointe::.. .. This rental company put their sky domes starting at 175 feet and stack them one on top of the other. The building is so sloppy! All their sims are so laggy with 0 sparetime. Why would anyone want to live there?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.