Low Prims on the SLRR Main Line

andrewjon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just wanted to see if I'm the only one with the issue.  I'm planning on running rail service (though the STFU company Gridtrak, who also owns Vulture Air.. :matte-motes-delicious: ).  The issue I have is that the sim Zeuzera's portion of the SLRR only has (at this moment) 94 prims available.  The train I'm planning to use for service (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XP-Diesel-Passenger-Train/6040535) is 174 prims (and that's only half of the train). I can't take this train through that sim.  There is a way around that sim, but it is a long way out and around, adding at least 15 minutes on to the trip leaving out a couple good stations (mainly Agila).

I very much doubt there is anything that can be done about it, but does anyone know of someway we can suggest to the lindens that we can get some more prim space there for those of using some of the better trains in world?

The only way to get more prims where the railway runs in that sim is to get more land in the region.  The land doesn't have to be joined to the current land just be in the same region.

The Linden's will not give land to the railway for free in order to raise the prim count.  They don't give land for free to anyone and if they were so inclined, there would be much worthier causes than doing it so you can run a train through there.

Whoever owns the land the rail runs on now would have to buy more land in the region, if any is available, or someone would have to do that and donate it to the group and pay the tier on it.  Unless you are willing to do that your best bet if you want to run a train through there is to choose one with a much lower prim count.

You may want to leave a Marketplace review warning other buyers that this particular train won't work on part of the SLRR.

If you had Modify permissions, you could set the train to Temporary only while crossing the region, which would likely provide enough prims to pass through. (The Marketplace ad is a little confusing on this. The Permissions field shows no-mod, but the product image shows "COPY / MOD / TRANSFER".) If it's no-mod, maybe the creator would be willing to supply a version with a script to do that Temp trick for you; if it's mod perm, such a script -- though ugly -- wouldn't be that difficult to do yourself.

As others have noted, this is a quite unusual case because that little corner is the only land in the whole sim that's Linden-owned. Most of the SLRR is in the Maintenance group, whereas this bit is owned by the Linden Department of Public Works (as are rez areas and stations, typically). That makes no difference, though, because the entire remainder of the region has a private owner, so there's just nowhere whence more prims could be had.

• 2 weeks later...

Baloo Uriza wrote:

I wonder if those idiot self-rezzing vehicles have stopped navigating the trainlines and highways yet.

If you're talking about AnnMarie's cars, they were removed by LL well over a year ago.

Somewhere there is a thread about it.

I do recall they disappeared for a while, way back, but they came back for a long time -- over a year, I'm pretty sure -- until disappearing again in the last month or so. I don't know if they're gone for good this time or on hiatus as before.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I do recall they disappeared for a while, way back, but they came back for a long time -- over a year, I'm pretty sure -- until disappearing again in the last month or so. I don't know if they're gone for good this time or on hiatus as before.

I did a brief search but did not find it, a bitter sounding post by AnneMarie about the situation.  It might have been over at SLU.

Aah, good to hear.  Granted, I live in the US, which despite having invented the internet, and despite $100/mo on internet service, means I *barely* can connect to Second Life for 3-4 hours per month on a good month wihtout losing connection...o yeah, hadn't had a chance to notice in a while.

yup. the [XP] Diesel Passenger Train. i figured since i was bored i would test that sim with that train, rezzed it at the rez zone just north of the sim you say only holds 98 prims, grabbed some speed down that little hill into that sim going at Speed: 9 and even though the double sim crossing was abit rough i still go through it with no problems.

VenumusVortex wrote:

yup. the 
[XP] Diesel Passenger Train. i figured since i was bored i would test that sim with that train, rezzed it at the rez zone just north of the sim you say only holds 98 prims, grabbed some speed down that little hill into that sim going at Speed: 9 and even though the double sim crossing was abit rough i still go through it with no problems.

A vehicle with a rider is supposed to be able to enter a parcel that doesn't have enough prims to support its rezzing because occupied vehicles are handled differently by the simulator. Doesn't mean that it always works though, especially when a region crossing is involved, although I've been noticing fewer "full parcel" errors lately.

It keeps knocking me off when I try to go.. even at 12 or 15 throttle.. No worries though.. The "long" way around really isn't too long around.  And, actually, I do like it a bit better that way.  I hit a couple nice stations there and a nice town that could serve as a good place for pickup and drop off of passengers :)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.