Land auction snipers

OfficerWestbury

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They will take auctions before you can react. So shameful. Please let me have some land....I am so upset that I lost an auction I now wonder is buying land in sl even worth it. I will not pay alot like 5000 for a 1024 parcel. I will pay like 3500, but why. Should I allow you to charge so much more. I have no interest in spending a lot for a mainland parcel. Especially when ll charges I only 500 for a 1024. So, I think it's not fair or cool to rob newer players of that opportunity. I hope you have some remorse for that.

auctions are only interesting when you really want that parcel on that specific region, or other specific reason, but nót to buy first land.....

Direct sale is FAR the cheapest and fasted way to get land, and very simple to find when using the for sale option in the search.

Missing best bid on a auction means no robbing new players, just didn't bid enough...

Auctions are wildly unpredictable.

Some parcels go without bids even at L$0.5/sq.m and stay abandoned.

Another bunch of them are bought below market value by what we used to call "land flippers" -- folks who mark up the price a bit and put it back on the market, willing to absorb the risk of eating tier for a while in exchange for some margin.

And some get bid-up, sometimes to seemingly crazy high prices, by neighbours or folks looking to acquire that specific bit of land for some specific reason.

That "specific reason" is not always obvious to every bidder. For example, a month or so ago, at least one other bidder competed with me for a parcel on a sim that allows +/- 100m terraforming. It's also double-prim, which is probably what attracted early bidders, but the terraforming thing wasn't obvious, and is AFAIK unique in all Mainland.

[Edit: To be clear, I agree that for practical land-buying, it's way quicker and easier to just buy direct -- and there's plenty on the market for reasonable prices, so very little real reason to bother with auctions, except as entertainment.]

• 2 weeks later...

I bid a couple months ago for a pacel adjacent to mine.  It was 11:58 pm and It was around 4500L and I offered 5000 and bang other person won for about a couple of lindens more.  This person immediately put the land for sale at 47,000L. Now is still there waiting for the one who maybe will pay that amount for 4096M.  Well now they lowered the price in half. Mine is more than 9000M and I paid 20,000L some time ago. Another 9000M for 16,000L and for this one the seller offered me to pay in installments. 

Yes is sad to have nice land and when wanting to buy more because is adjacent and you want to expand your place you cant becouse seller wants to earn 500%.  In the other hand if you bid in the land aution is like Ebay.  Looking in the map takes time and effort and teleporting but in the long run it can be rewarding finding what you want.  Just a month ago bought 1/4 Sim for 12,000L not close to water but I just needed it to put a 1/4 sim Club in skybox. Look at the map carefully and notice how big rentals companies are taking all over the continents. My experiences are that searching for land you want takes at least a month or more of teleporting, comparisons and making offers. 

I totally agree about auction snipers. This is why I seldom go on the auction unless I really have to in order to try to prevent flippers from buying land next to me. But it always ends in tiers.

I think one way to end this practice is to PUBLICIZE the names of every purchaser of land who wins an auction. This USED TO BE DONE and the Lindens stopped it. A pity.

But please don't pay $3500 for a 1024 when if you fly around with the "land for sale" box checked off on the map, you will have your pick. My God, it's a buyer's market. You can find good land for $1000 even.

LL doesn't charge you $500 for 1024. They charge in tier $5.00 US, but that's different.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.