How much LL cares for Mainland

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently Linden Lab seemed to have finally started to realize how important free passageways across Mainland is for the value of Second Life as a whole.

But no. Quarter sim up for auction at Torver. Anybody who buys it is free to block the only possible route along the east coast of Sansara.All we can do is hope that the buyer cares more for Second Life than Linden Lab does.

ChinRey wrote:

Recently Linden Lab seemed to have finally started to realize how important free passageways across Mainland is for the value of Second Life as a whole.

But no. Quarter sim up for auction at Torver. Anybody who buys it is free to block the only possible route along the east coast of Sansara.All we can do is hope that the buyer cares more for Second Life than Linden Lab does.

The Torver parcel sold at auction, and is now up for sale again. It would have been great if, before the land had been put up for auction, the Lindens had taken out a small channel on the far side and made it Linden Protected Water. 

I am grateful that sailors still have other areas to sail, but it would have added value to Mainland "waterfront" property if there had been a policy of preserving a protected channel in front of all "waterfront" areas.

Surface roads are another issue. This post reminded me of an AR I had done some time ago. A landowner who had property on both sides of a Linden Road had built over it and you had to travel through an ugly dark tunnel if you wanted to continue on Route 2 in Burnott and Quaker. I went back, and the tunnel is still there.  I realize that there is a precedent for this, in that many Linden Roads are routed through tunnels or even underwater, but somehow having a private landowner build around and on top of what should be public property seems unfair. Thank goodness most landowners that own property on both sides of a Linden road don't do this!

Rufferta wrote:

The Torver parcel sold at auction, and is now up for sale again. It would have been great if, before the land had been put up for auction, the Lindens had taken out a small channel on the far side and made it Linden Protected Water.

For sale or rent at the moment. The buyer is quite positive to keeping an open channel but he won't do it against the wishes of a tenant and of course if somebody buys there's no knowing what'll happen.

To be fair, keeping and open channel there won't help much in itself anyway. The coast further south is full of other blocks, most importantly, you can't get to the east end of the Erie-Threlkeld channel.

Ever since LL stopped their work on sim-seam crossing -- or perhaps long before -- they stopped caring about crossing sims on road trips or horse rides. That people still do this anyway doesn't affect them and they are not motivated to care. Oh, except when they want to run a railroad across land that they inadvertently sold because they weren't thinking of their supposed own plans to take over a residence railroad and have the thoroughfare kept open. Oh, well.

As for sailing, we all know that sailing can only be in the Blake Sea where the Lindens maintain it and advertise for it, sailing elsewhere is plagued with overactive security orbs and all the rest. 

I don't think the owner of a sim who has bought it in good faith on the auction or from land barons should be forced to engage in the "public good" as the tiny percent of the population dwelling on the forums sees it. You can't expect people to tier empty road or sea at their own expence to help various Rail Tycoon types to live out their fantasies sending unmanned vehicles all across land they don't pay for.

I personally try to keep waterways clear, i.e. in Ross where there's a channel around a Mainland island.  But the donations that people give you for doing things like this make up only a tiny percentage of your tier.

As for Rufferta's idea that residents shouldn't build over Linden roads -- the reality is, they do. All over the place. This is hard to enforce. If you make Lindens globally enforce it, then you will lose things that people in fact appreciate that technically "encroaches". 

Prokofy Neva wrote:

......I don't think the owner of a sim who has bought it in good faith on the auction or from land barons should be forced to engage in the "public good" as the tiny percent of the population dwelling on the forums sees it. You can't expect people to tier empty road or sea at their own expence to help various Rail Tycoon types to live out their fantasies sending unmanned vehicles all across land they don't pay for....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Rufferta: My idea was that the Lindens could chop off a small channel on one edge
before
the land was put up for auction. Perhaps it would only make a small difference, but, should we live so long, I think it would improve the Mainland. Perhaps on the Mainland they should have set up "easements" ahead of time but that's easy to say now, looking backwards.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

As for Rufferta's idea that residents shouldn't build over Linden roads -- the reality is, they do. All over the place. This is hard to enforce. If you make Lindens globally enforce it, then you will lose things that people in fact appreciate that technically "encroaches". 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Rufferta: I think that you are correct. Many of us have builds that encroach on Linden land. I know that, ever since I learned about the "root prim" thing, I've made a few walkways so that folks could access my land more easily from the road. I think that that is different, though, than actually putting a roof over the road but I guess I can't very well claim that what I've done is any different.

I've been visiting some of the "other worlds" like Kitely, Kraft, and Inworldz, and I think that the SL Mainland's 'sense of place' is something special and that the ability to travel from place to place by land, water, or air is important.

Re builds extending on Linden land: I generally have no problem with it, and do it myself very often, trying to blend landscaping across parcel boundaries and sometimes lend a few prims the Moles couldn't spare.

I must say, though, this is going a bit far. I'm guessing things will return to normal after Halloween passes, so I don't plan to make a fuss.

I totally agree that BEFORE land is set to auction the Lindens should give a thought to context and do things like add easements/water/check thoroughfares etc.

The Lindens should never sell the internal water to a pond area -- and yet they do. It's caused some of the worst ruckuses on the mainland.

They did put up easements more often in earlier days, if anything, there are some sims that have even TOO MUCH Linden land/water. But in later years I think they were slapping them down. Now it's harder to go back and fix.

If the roof over the road affected actually passage of say, tall avatars or double-decker buses or something may you'd have a point but if it doesn't, it's hard to complain without dinging every other thing.

Kitely doesn't have geographic contiguity but I thought Inworldz did, at least I remember walking around a whole downtown area but maybe I missed something.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

...............Kitely doesn't have geographic contiguity but I thought Inworldz did, at least I remember walking around a whole downtown area but maybe I missed something.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I went back to Inworldz to check. Yes, there is a "Mainland" but there don't appear to be any small parcels you could buy directly from Inworldz. What looks like "Mainland" is actually larger sims owned by estate owners*. Purchase options appear to be either sim-sized parcels "on the Mainland" or more expensive "Islands" or groups of islands. Much less expensive than SL.

Some of Inworldz looks very nice. I liked Yadni's New Orlean's Square, but it rezzed slowly while I was there.  There is a sea you can sail on, but outside of the "Mainland" the islands are surrounded by what I call "The Great Nothing".  On the plus side, there were two mentors in the Welcome Area when I arrived. On the negative side, I didn't like many of the builds I saw - perhaps having more prims makes builders lazy?

*I once took advantage of a special deal where you could rent a 2048 parcel for about $5.95. You also got a periodic stipend. It did not work out well, and I ended up in a fight with one of the Inworldz founders before I cancelled everything...so please be aware I'm not unbiased....

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Kitely doesn't have geographic contiguity but I thought Inworldz did, at least I remember walking around a whole downtown area but maybe I missed something.

Kitely can't really have it because it's cloud hosted.

Inworldz can and may well but who cares? The only thing worth seeing there anyway is Yadni's Square. Me, I lost the taste for Inworldz when I visited the three biggest (or so I was told) garden/landscape stores and couldn't find a single item that wasn't copybotted from a well-known SL creator.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.