Do You Have "Ring Around Your Parcel"? - Accidentally setting up ban lines

Rufferto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Clicking both "Allow Public Access" and also clicking "Group Access" will create ban lines around your property for everyone who is not listed as part of the group owning the land. 

I am an eternal newbie, so when one of my avatars couldn't access my parcel I at first thought it was griefers. Then I finally figured it out - had the owner unclick the "group access" button, and then it was OK. Linden support called this glitch 4995*.

I had kept quiet about this as I was embarrassed, but I recently was using an alt to look at property for sale**.  Twice I ran across "For Sale" property that had ban lines around them because of this situation*** and the sellers were older and wiser than I, so I thought I would mention it on the forum.

*I couldn't find "4995" listed on the JIRA.

**She doesn't carry a lot of money so that she can't click "Buy it Now" by accident.

***I hate ban lines, but now realize that they can be set up by accident.

Rufferto wrote: *I couldn't find "4995" listed on the JIRA.

If I understand the situation, it seems more BUG-4994 ("If both allow public access and allow group access are ticked under About Land -> Access, only group members can access the parcel, even though allow public access is enabled and not greyed out"). There is a BUG-4995, too, and it's related ("Modified parcel access options allow banning yourself from your own land") but not visible to everyone (just an artifact of who filed it, when, with what permissions -- nothing Sooper Sekrit inside).

Security orbs can be scripted to be much gentler than ban lines, although I agree that they're often stupidly aggressive, usually because the scripter defaulted to weapons-grade paranoia and the landowner didn't know enough to de-claw the beast. Notably, a sensibly-written security script can deactivate itself when there's nobody around to need "protection" or "privacy", but there's no way to automatically disable parcel ban lines.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.