Continents

Shhy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are the mainland Continents? I been trying to find a list with regions and Continents, but information is not easy to find.. I know some of my land is on Atoll, but i have no idea of the rest.

Hello Shhy! 

Linden defines a "Continent" in SL as a cluster of 30 or more Sims. The most popular and largest Continents on the grid are Sansara, Heterocera, Jeogeot, Satori, Nautilus, Corsica and the Gaetas. These are easily identifyable as the largest land masses on the grid, and can be seen by zooming out your world-view map. 

There are several smaller Sub-Continents that still fit the Lindens guidelines, but most will be Private Sims and not follow the Mainland rules in terms of renting. Smaller land-masses often follow strict themes or foster RolePlay environments.

I am attaching two maps that I am sure everyone is familiar with on the forum, you can find them InWorld at most infohubs and scattered throughout the mainlands. Also here are some links for fragmented information on the wiki, some info might be dated but its good to read up anyway!

The best way to learn about the Mainland InWorld is to simply EXPLORE! There are infohubs on each continent, some with detailed maps of the area. Roadways are a bit of a crapshoot, but the pod system still operates perfectly, so you can stand on the roadside anywhere and wait for a ride to pick you up and show you the area.

Seems like you have quite the interest in the mainland, judging by your other quesitons and posts :-) would love to meet up something and explore/chat! ~*~*~

SL Wiki List of Continents

SL Wiki Geography Master Page

"

"

SAULGOODiE wrote:

Hello Shhy! 

Linden defines a "Continent" in SL as a cluster of 30 or more Sims. 

</snip>

<snip>

There are several smaller Sub-Continents that still fit the Lindens guidelines,

</snip>

<snip>

</snip>

For the record a large bulk of the SL Wiki is not written nor endorsed by Linden Lab.  This is something many people do not understand and sometimes it causes confusion or problems.  Because sadly not everything in the Wiki is accurate.  Of course any page marked "Linden Lab Official" is written by LL.  The other thing you can do is check the "History Tab" on a wiki page.  This will tell you who supplied the information.

In the case of those geography pages they were written by someone named Anaimfinity Resident.  She heads up something called the Second Life Geography Project.  This appears to be a project a Resident has taken upon themself.  There are no hints of any endorsement by LL.

"SLGI (Second Life Geography Institute) is a resident-made institution inside Second Life, made to help and inform other people. This institution is coordinated by a small group, the SLGI team."  Among other things they assigned their own definitions to many things.

"When the project started (summer 2013), there was a big lack of data about Geography. So, we have to improve. This is why, first then everything, Geographic terms had to be defined. Define your terms and you will be better understood said someone a long time ago."   LINK

They have done a pretty good job but still it is not LL endorsed.

"We are not affiliated to any group, land corporation, organisation or even to the Linden officials and we will try to create neutral articles."

• Like 1

Errr woops,  Lol. Regardless, I think most of my information and suggestions have little to do with Lindens endorsing, and therefore still relevant? Is there something about my false attribution of wikipedia information that detracts from the rest of my advice and information? Either way thanks for setting me straight on that one. 

SAULGOODiE wrote:

Errr woops,  Lol. Regardless, I think most of my information and suggestions have little to do with Lindens endorsing, and therefore still relevant? Is there something about my false attribution of wikipedia information that detracts from the rest of my advice and information? Either way thanks for setting me straight on that one. 

There was certainly nothing "personal" meant by my post.

Overall I think the Geography group has done a good job.  It's just that in the SL Wiki it's not clear a lot of it is their own opinions.  But it's really not that big a deal other than the fact that many folks think the Wiki is Hoyle.

No criticism meant of you.  :)

I too love exploring Mainland and enjoy knowing some of its history.  There are many hidden gems on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.