Bug - Land Purchased for Group Reverts Back to Sale

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Within a minute of buying land for the group, as distinct from on your individual avatar, the system automatically resets your group land to sale.

You can definitely have bought it, see the money leave your account, and even have time to relabel the land and remove the prims.

And if you wait, you will see it revert to "sale status" available for purchase by "anyone" at the same price you just paid for it, even though you didn't set it for sale.

I got burned once when I didn't watch it, and it reverted and someone bought it for my purchase price, and the funds distributed to the group.

This has repeated at least a half dozen times. It is defiitely a bug. However as I am banned from the JIRA I can't report it.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

And if you wait, you will see it revert to "sale status" available for purchase by "anyone" at the same price you just paid for it, even though you didn't set it for sale.

I got burned once when I didn't watch it, and it reverted and someone bought it for my purchase price, and the funds distributed to the group.

Most intriguing is that the sale apparently completed transfer of ownership, such that the buying group took proceeds from that subsequent unintended sale.

I'd file a jira on this if I could replicate it, but so far no luck: I tried this with my alt, with the sale parcels either group-owned and sold for L$0 to a named individual or individually owned and sold for a price, (both times bought for a group of course); neither sale reverted. This with the Linden 3.8.6 (305981) viewer, on Server 15.10.29.306991 (not an RC sim).

I'm not quite sure of the specific conditions where the errors arose. Was the land owned by some group to start, or by an individual? When you bought it, it was for sale to "Anyone", right? And evidently you paid a non-zero price for it.

I'm sure the obvious stuff doesn't apply: the buying group had plenty of land credits, the seller had legitimate ownership of the land (that is, it wasn't owned by a defunct group as in the recent "Land Sale Not Going Through" thread), your Role had the necessary "Ability" to buy land for the group, and all that jazz.

The conditions where it applies:

1. Set to sale to EITHER anyone or specifically to me.

2. Set to sale by an individual

3. Purchased in "buy for group" mode.

Yes, I paid the price that it was set at. So let's say I buy a 512 for $2000 for group, I buy it, clean up the description, check "no push" etc. wait a few minutes, think it's fine then whoops I see it back for sale again.

This has happened enough times now to persuade me it's a real bug.

And yes all the things you ask about apply:

1. That the group has enough land credits -- the sale wouldn't go through otherwise. When you don't, it doesn't always tell you due to lag, but it just won't go through. These go through.

2. And of course my role as owner of the group has the role to buy land.

It's a real bug, really occurring. The problem is that few people buy group land for the group, so nobody notices and nobody cares.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you sorting out the bug of course but maybe a way to work around it:

When you buy land, put it up for sale again immediately, either set it for sale to yourself onoy or set the price so high that it'll make you smile rather than frown if anybody actually buys.

The theory is of course that this new sale setting will override the old one. Don't know if it'll work but it may be worth a try.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.