Are There Other Places Like Bay City?

justintime1331

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bay City is pretty unique (and the land has double prim allowances).  There are a few other communities (loosely) not too far from Bay City, but not on the same level of roads, parks, etc., as Bay City, in my opinion.   

While Bay City land is very expensive to buy, there are several rental companies with very reasonable rental rates for land there.  One is Robin Ivory who occassionally has a lot or two for rent, the other is TowerRental.  

If you just want roadside land, the best way to find it is to look for land for sale along the roads on the SL map of the mainland continents.  All the mainland continents have road networks running through them, and often you can find lots of varying sizes and prices for sale. (There's an option on the map for displaying land for sale, and when turned on parcels for sale will be displayed in bright yellow).

justintime1331 wrote:

.... I don't understand why land is being sold for so much there. Is there any other places like it that are a lot cheaper.

SL land is like RL land,  Certain locations are in high demand and command a higher price.  You will pay more for land in Bay City as a result.  You will also pay a lot for land on shorelines around a sailing area, and a higher price for just 'ocean front' land.  Other places the command better prices are roadside land and land bordering a protected area.

The cheaper land will be in the middle of a continent where there are no roads or navigable water.

The East River Community is similar to Bay City but we work with a different model. We are a federation of groups, where each group is free to manage its own land property but all adhere to a community charter setting some common rules. Anyone can join the community but new admission requests must be approved by the community's steering committee. We also prefer to have a chat with prospective new members before they buy land and file an admission request, just to make sure that the expectations are right. You can find more information here and can contact me inworld if you need additional details.

Land prices in Bay City are higher because the land is double-primmed (in addition to being themed and usually surrounded by Linden protected spaces).

It is also true, however, that Bay City land is more susceptible than most to being hyper-priced: set for sale at prices the seller knows full-well that nobody will ever pay. That's just to get attention to the parcel, usually for purposes of advertizing something else (or to help sell a different parcel, priced "reasonably" by comparison).

There's also some simply delusional land pricing where the seller has somehow convinced themselves that their special-snowflake land will eventually fetch the asking price if only they wait long enough. Maybe those delusions are fostered by seeing so many examples as above: land set for sale with no intent of it ever selling.

There is a large estate called Lionheart which appeared to be based on bay city, probably due to an old beta where they were going to link the city with bay city, but this had never happened.  I don't know of the project was abanonded.

An issue is that the estate used to be much bigger, but keeps shrinking with lowered demand for land in real cities.  I'd like to see the place enlarged again.

However, it is not a mainland sim, it's a "private" estate owner.  Otherwise the model is very similar.

The land prices are high simply because of artifically created scarcity and value like any market -- double prims, easements all around nearby, and Linden road/protected Linden land and builds which always adds value.

But in many, many places on the Mainland you can find Linden roads and even Linden content created, i.e. the Moth Temple on Iris where I have a build and various other places where Lindens have put up various things -- if nothing else, a nice road and some signs.

The obvious "other place like Bay City" is the Nautilus sims. These all have Linden landscaping, builds and content. The prices there were sky high last I recall when I sold out -- but not as crazy as Bay City. You might find a bargain. But the theme there is "ancient".

Another set of very old Linden-created sims are Brown and Boardman. Brown has had land for sale on it sometimes at not-terrible prices. It has roads and street lamps and some rather anemic Linden trees (wish they'd re-do these).

There was yet another Linden-created area I'm trying to recollect up in the north off the continents somewhere -- not Linden homes but another suburban-tract kind of place, maybe someone will remember the sim names.

If you look around the older Mainland continents you may find that earlier owners have gone to the trouble to keep the areas nice and you could buy near them. I always look at the "claim date" on land around me before I buy. If I see a date from years ago, I figure I have a "keeper" as a neighbour and can count on the view not changing but as always with Mainland, caveat emptor.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

There was yet another Linden-created area I'm trying to recollect up in the north off the continents somewhere -- not Linden homes but another suburban-tract kind of place, maybe someone will remember the sim names.

Possibly the "Shermerville" sims which are just north of the "Nova Albion" sims (e.g., Barcola). There's also a copy of the Nova Albion cluster on the mini-continent that used to be Teen SL (e.g., Hippoden). As I recall, Shermerville is single-primmed and the others double-primmed -- but they're all priced pretty high, if you ask me.

Oh, well, I guess for completeness, there's also the Adult-rated "Kama City" sims on Zindra, that are "themed" in the limited sense of containing a lot of Linden infrastructure, with terraforming disabled, on a mix of single- and double-primmed regions. There are some very nice locations there, in fact, for a mix of prices, but on Zindra one can never be sure the neighbour won't erect a giant glowing purple **bleep** in which untold horrors await.

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.