Will second life ever introduce Prepaid Cards?

Azula Birdsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I really just wanted to ask if Linden Labs would introduce a Prepaid Card function for Second Life. I think it would be a great asset and it would get more money flowing into the game itself. I know for starters that some people don't like using credit cards or paypal accounts strictly because of trust issues. I think the safer option would be Prepaid cards where someone can just buy it from a store in their country, enter the pin digit and redeem however many Lindens they chose. Please, if anyone can, answer my question.

I strongly recommend Linden Labs considers Prepaid Cards as an option of payment or gaining money.

10 answers to this question

I seriously doubt this will happen, and the reason is the same one you mention: trust.

Second Life is a game primarily for adults, although people as young as 16 may use it and access SL's General-rated content.  Those as young as 13 may use SL, but are limited to a "sponsored" and adult-supervised region.

People with a registered payment method (a major credit card or a verified PayPal account) can access all SL content.

It's easy for anyone, even a minor, to obtain a prepaid card.  Therefore, LL will only accept payment methods that are available to adult persons.

Every once in a while someone asks about prepaid cards.  Lindal's right.  Linden Lab has very cautiously accepted some prepaid cards, but they are not likely to move very far toward them because there's no way to verify the owner.

BTW, you should be aware that we are not Lindens.  There are never any Lindens here in this resident-to-resident forum.  We don't make (or often even understand) Linden Lab decisions.  We're all SL residents like you.

That all sounds very logical but I have my doubts as to it actually being the case.

I have an age verified accont with a cc given. HOWEVER the secondlife site did not just take the cc and grant me age verification I had to directly answer identity questions.

I used the same cc on my alt's account without answering those questions and he is not age verified.

That blows up the "because the credit card grants age verification" theory based on experience.

So there obviously is some other reason. And (since I agree that a SL specific prepaid card would be a great move for both the membership and LL...) that being the case I see no reason not to pursue instituting such a card.

Ah... but they did know who you were, since you had already used that RL identification the first time. In any case, it's not our choice. Remember, this is not a democracy. SL is LL's business and they get to decide what forms of payment they will accept.

Honestly I don't know why Age verification would be required at all for a prepaid card (NOT a prepaid credit card) other games use prepaid cards for account gaming time or for in game currency... IF Second Life had a card for sale at a local store that I could buy Lindon's with (NOT to pay for my VIP nor to use to age verify or gain access to adult content) as far as I know anyone can obtain Lindon's regardless of age or game status so why not be able to obtain them at a local store?

I used one a while ago to buy L and it worked...but tried this morning and it said "transaction declined".....BUT, when I checked my card balance they had made a charge to the card. I called SL billing and they said that prepaid cards are not accepted.....but then WHY was there a charge from SL made to my card??? Apparently they can't reverse the charge either.

A very few prepaid cards DO work, but the system cannot easily tell which ones will be acceptable. Usually it errs on the side of caution by refusing a card if it doesn't know when you try to register it, but occasionally one slips through and is verified when it shouldn't be. When the resident tries to use the card later and it fails, the system then blocks it for further use. The problem basically is that most prepaid cards only work one way. You can take money out of them to pay for things, but you can't refund money to them. Like many large companies, Linden Lab verifies a card by issuing a small charge against it (a dollar or less) and then immediately refunding it. When that doesn't work, the card is not verified.

Although some may call it extreme, you can always open a separate bank account just for Second Life.   If opening dedicated bank accounts goes against what you believe for whatever reason, how about multiple gaming accounts for one bank account.  Second Life, the game system connected to your TV, things like that.  Off topic, it would be nice to have Second Life on the three major global gaming systems, not sure if it is an option or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.