Linden dollars

pizza676

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi Pizza,

That'll be tough.

You don't really buy land in SL, you buy the right to rent it (yeah, that sounds nutty, SL is nutty). Once you've bought the right to rent it, you must start making rent payments. L$500 is not enough to purchase the rental rights and even one week's rent for anything in SL. You can skip the buying step and rent from a landlord. Then you only have the rental fee. There are small plots and/or skybox rentals that are inexpensive, but you'll burn through your L$500 limit within a couple weeks at the most. 

An addition to the rental expense, you'll have to pay for any textures/sculpts/meshes you need to upload for your home. That'll cost L$10 per upload. Learn how to use local textures to save time and money as you experiment with texturing your builds. Rolig Loon tells you how here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

If all you wish to do is build things for sale, you should go searching for public sandboxes. They'll have auto-return enabled, so nothing you rezz will stay there for more than a few hours. That's always been enough for me to make significant progress on things, so long as I've been careful to save my work every hour or so. You can find sandboxes in search.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yes, but it doesn't sound as if you have thought things through all the way.  Buying land doesn't cost very much -- although you won't be able to buy very much land with only L$500 -- but the monthly fees will add up over time.  The lowest your fees can possibly be are $5/month, and that's if you buy less than 512 q m.  So, once you have bought the land, expect to pay the equivalent of another L$1250 each month just to keep the land.  You might be able to reduce that expense by renting land instead of buying, but I'd be surprised if you can get rent for much less than that either.  (Of course, if you are a Premium member, you are already paying that much, and getting a land fee waiver for the first 512 sq m.  In that case, you could buy a small Mainland parcel within your budget. )

You can certainly build a house for free.  You have all the tools in your viewer for building, so if you have the skill to do it, that's cheap.  If you are a talented builder already, you can build a nice house that way and maybe even sell it.  Don't count on selling it quickly, though.  Most builders I know do not sell houses fast, at least until they are well established and have a reputation for their work.  So, build a house for yourself to live in, but don't count on making much money back by selling it, especially since it's easy to buy a really nice house for a few hundred L$ these days.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.