If you are the best in the field, than what is the highest paying job? just wondering

BrittanyW1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If you are number one in your field, which job would pay the best. I am not attempting to get the highest paying job because i am assuming it requires a skill set and determination i do not have. So answer with facts or educated estimations. Thank You! I AM NOT LOOKING TO DO THE JOB, I AM ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I AM INTERESTED, I JUST WANT TO KNOW, IF YOU ARE THE BEST AT WHAT YOU DO, THAN WHAT PERSON THAT IS ON THE TOP WOULD BE PAID THE MOST !!!!! THIS IS NOT BECAUSE I WANT TO DO THE JOB!!!!!! JUST WANT TO KNOW!!!!

5 answers to this question

This question really belongs in the General Discussion forum, because it calls for speculation. Answer is not set up for discussions.  We can really only deal with questions about how SL works (or, more often) why it doesn't.

Having said that, though, the question really doesn't have an answer.  The only "jobs" in SL that are high paying at all require a fair amount of skill, either as a creator (a scripter, 3D modeller, designer, animator ....) or as a performer (a musician or DJ, maybe) and a good familiarity with how SL works.  If you don't have the "skill set and determination" to do one of those and you haven't been around long enough in SL, you're going to have to look for one of the low-paying unskilled "jobs" that offer only pocket change.  Take a look at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Guide_to_Jobs_in_Second_Life .  The best way to find out what you can earn without a marketable skill is to ask people who are doing the work. 

I don't mean to be discouraging.  The best reason to work in SL is not to earn money.  It's because you like working.  After all, even those of us who do have a RL skill can earn a lot more by using that skill in RL than we can in SL.  We create things or perform because it's fun.  If you start job hunting with that in mind, you can find all sorts of things to do in SL.

• Like 1

BrittanyW1 wrote:

[ .... ] I AM NOT LOOKING TO DO THE JOB, I AM ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I AM INTERESTED, I JUST WANT TO KNOW, IF YOU ARE THE BEST AT WHAT YOU DO, THAN WHAT PERSON THAT IS ON THE TOP WOULD BE PAID THE MOST !!!!! THIS IS NOT BECAUSE I WANT TO DO THE JOB!!!!!! JUST WANT TO KNOW!!!!

There's no need to shout.  We get versions of the "How do I get a job?" question here a lot, so that's what I assumed you were really asking. If you're curious, the best way to get an answer to a survey question like yours  is to start a discussion in the General Discussion forum.  You'll get a range of replies from people who have done different jobs.  As I said earlier, Answers just isn't set up for discussions.  Linden Lab set this area up to handle questions about how SL works or why it isn't working the way you expect.

Besides Rolig's great answer...

There are literally millions of registered users of Second Life.  How would you determine who is "the best" in any particular field?  There's one land baroness who was written up in the mainstream media around 2007 or so for having acquired virtual land worth over $1 million USD.  Did that make her the first Second Life millionaire?  Maybe.  But there are other land barons who own a lot less virtual land who I'd much rather deal with.  Which one is "better" than the other?  It's a matter of personal opinion.

Who makes the "best" shoes?  There are a couple of brands I'm very partial to...but there are other brands who have their fans as well.  There was one popular shoe creator several years ago who sold her shoes at outrageously high prices, compared to her competitors...and yet thousands of avatars beat down her doors to buy her shoes.  But she did not successfully make the transition to Mesh shoes, and is no longer in business.  Was she the "best," or only the most expensive?  Again, a matter of personal opinion.

Some of the most talented creators GIVE AWAY their creations for nothing.  Does this make them "better" or "worse" than those who sell their products for high prices?  It depends on how you define "success."

As Rolig says, the highest paying jobs in SL are those in which you are in business for yourself.  Jobs like hostess or dancer, where you work for someone else, mostly pay in tips only.  Those who are very good at these jobs can make pretty good money in tips, sometimes more than $L1,000 per night, but not as much as those who are successful creators and merchants.

• Like 1

Nobodies on top. At least its not a single person, but a bunch of them, who happen to be in the right place at the right moment with the right idea _and_ with the right skill. Just like in the real world. There is not the best. You can be an amazing 3D artist, but that doesn't stop someone else from being this, too. And even being amazing doesn't gurantees you the biggest piece of the cake, as its also a lot about luck and timeing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.