how much script time is allotted to a sim

Fran Frankel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

Scripts are limitless. The question is how many scripts in the usual 100 meter area an avatar views SL in would cause lags, (unless one has their draw distance on a different setting). It depends on the scripts and what they are doing but I remember rezzing all the 20 or so free video game machines around me and getting lag just from their sounds and blinking animations.

Not worried, simply would like to know. Consider this... most people live on a sim shared among other residents either subdivided or communal; looking to manage this aspect of script time and it's affects. A rule of thumb perhaps? milliseconds per meter to make the sim enjoyable and functional for all involved. Agreed, focus on your code if you are a code writer but are a very large portion of people in sl lagging the hell out of the place simply because they don't realize that there is a limit and that their stack of 20 games on 1 sqMeter is making it so all the neighbors can't even sit down much less walk.

That helps to know that. but no, am looking to understand at what level in a sim the milliseconds of running script time begin to cause lag. If i knew how many milliseconds of time a sim could process, could come up with a ratio or percentage of script time (milliseconds/sqMeter) that each resident of that sim uses.

I found it in the statistics bar i think, meter goes to 40ms, am seeing ~20ms of active script time; region estate info top scripts shows ~10ms total script time so....

Does this mean that when region total script time hits 20ms my statistics script time meter pegs and i stand frozen there or what?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.