can one have more then one tier on the mainland

Haven Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello:

I have bought some land on the mainland.  I am really close to maxing out my tier, which is I think 65, 563 square meteres.  If I use up the space on my tier, can I start another one?  Or, is there a way to augment the space on the tier itself?  Or, is that as much land as I can own on the mainland at any one time, and should think about buying an island estate again?

Thank you,

Xendoras

3 answers to this question

You cannot "max out" your tier. You may own as much land as you wish anywhere in SL. Remember, though, that the concept of "tier" only applies on the mainland.  If you are on a private estate, you either own the whole thing or you pay rent to someone else who owns the whole thing.

On the Mainland, then, any tier beyond the first full region is assigned in half-region increments at a rate of US$97.50 per half region. So your land use fees for a full region ( 65, 536 sq m) is $195.00/month. If you own between 65,563 and 98,304 sq m, you pay an extra $97.50, and so on, a half region at a time. A higher level appears in your land use fees when you upgrade beyond a full region on the mainland. If you sell the land and move back to a tier of one full region or below, the system automatically tiers you down.

• Like 1

The difficulty with mainland tier is the size of the jumps between levels, particularly at the higher levels:

"Any tier beyond the first full region is assigned in half-region increments at a rate of US$97.50 per half region."
https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-land/ta-p/700043#Section_.3

If you only want a little more than 65,536 m2 of land, it makes more sense to create an "Alt" (another Second Life account) and then make the Alt premium so the Alt can buy the extra land without the huge jump in tier level. I believe you are allowed up to 5 accounts. Each Alt that is made premium (by paying the premium membership fee for that Alt) will receive 512 m2 of automatic tier with no additional monthly charge, and the next few steps up in tier are relatively small steps for that Alt.

The Alt and your main account can deed your land to a group which your main and your Alt have control over. Group owned land gives you a bonus of 10% on your tier, but managing group owned land is complicated. It is very easy to make a mistake and be charged double tier for one month if you transfer land incorrectly to or from or between groups.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.