When did mainland sims change the max avatar limit to 30?

Cinnamon Lohner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Guess I was asleep when this one happened.  Seems that my mainland sim only supports 30 agents these days.  I thought 40 was the limit for mainland sims.  When did this change and why?

Enquiring mginds want to know.

--Cinn

Thanks Rolig.  I'll do a bit more exploring on this one.  I'll check neighboring sims and see how they are set.  Seems odd that with LL talking about improved performance as their main focus, they would be setting the agent limit down unless that's how they plan on ensuring performance on the mainland.   I'll leave this one as unanswered until I can come back and report my findings.  --Cinn

Ok time to close this one out without a good answer.  Seems that there are a number of sims in this mainland area set to 30 avatars max.  Some are General, others are Moderate.  Some are main channel, others are RC.  To be honest, the sim where my parcel is located may have always been set to 30 and I never noticed it until yesterday when I held a rez day party and filled the sim!   The only thing I can figure is that I'm located on Sansara which is the Old Continent and contains many of the original mainland sims.  As I'm not likely to hold an event that large (until next year:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:) it really doesn't matter all that much.  Was just one of those curious things that makes life in SL interesting!  --Cinn

3 answers to this question

According to Linden Lab ...

• Maximum number of agents
    • Full region: 100 (Typically set to 40 on Linden-owned regions, but this does vary. Some meeting areas have this set to 60 and higher.)
      • Recent server performance improvements make regions with 60 agents in them perform quite well.
    • Homestead: 20
    • Openspace: 10

I think the important note is the part about "this does vary."  LL seems to have decided to vary your sim.  If you owned a privarte estate, you could change it back yourself.  On the mainland, you could try filing a support ticket to ask LL to change it.  They might.  Maybe.

Cinnamon Lohner wrote:

[ .... ]

Thanks Rolig.  I'll do a bit more exploring on this one.  I'll check neighboring sims and see how they are set.  Seems odd that with LL talking about improved performance as their main focus, they would be setting the agent limit down unless that's how they plan on ensuring performance on the mainland.   I'll leave this one as unanswered until I can come back and report my findings.  --Cinn

Ok time to close this one out without a good answer.  Seems that there are a number of sims in this mainland area set to 30 avatars max.  Some are General, others are Moderate.  Some are main channel, others are RC.  To be honest, the sim where my parcel is located may have always been set to 30 and I never noticed it until yesterday when I held a rez day party and filled the sim!   The only thing I can figure is that I'm located on Sansara which is the Old Continent and contains many of the original mainland sims.  As I'm not likely to hold an event that large (until next year:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:) it really doesn't matter all that much.  Was just one of those curious things that makes life in SL interesting!  --Cinn

Yeah, they'll get better performance on a sim if there are fewer avs on it, so that may be their motive.  Avatars are the single greatest source of lag.  We move around a lot and we carry a lot of garbage with us.  For all I know, they could be doing a grid-wide experiment, setting different limits on large numbers of sims to see what the optimum load is.

Happy Rez Day, BTW.  :smileyvery-happy:

avatar limits is weird. you pay 195 dolar and you cant run a popular club on a homestead. i wonder why people pay 195 dolar for something which will never be like they imagined..and 295 for a full region just for a club? i dont know... in 6 months i can buy a real life car with that money :) who cares about a virtual club :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.