Locking door to my home?

earthgirlkelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I havent had my linden home very long but one of the first things I done was click on my home control panel and lock my doors. I just had a very strange incident where someone I dont know came into my house and started doing really rude things. Now I wouldnt mind having visitors over but this guy was flat out rude and I have no idea how he got in if my doors are locked. Locking the door on the control panel is suppose to keep people other than me from opening the door and walking in, right? Or am I doing something wrong?

2 answers to this question

There is no such thing as a locked door in SL.  Anyone with a small amount of talent can enter without needing to open a door, so locks are merely for show.  You have several ways to protect yourself, however.  You can always freeze, eject or ban any intruder from your own property, for example.  Learn how to do it >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113#Section_.6.9.1 .  You may prevent people from teleporting onto your land.  You may also buy and install a security orb on Marketplace and set it to block anyone who is not specifically whitelisted into your parcel. (Be very careful to read the instructions before installing an orb, to be sure that it does not extend beyond your land.)  Finally, instead of installing a commercial orb, you may use the Access controls in World >>> About Land to erect ban lines around your parcel. Those are ugly as sin and disliked by many people (including me), but they do work to keep unwanted visitors out.

Do not forget, also, that if you have reason to believe that someone has violated the TOS, you may also submit an Abuse Report.  Do not make frivolous complaints, or ones that you do not have facts to support, but do not hesitate to report real violations.

Please read https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-deal-with-abuse-and-harassment/ta-p/1339983

• Like 1

I have to disagree a little bit with Rolig here. A locked door keeps the vast majority of unwanted visitors out. It's only if you have trouble with persistent griefers you really need more than that.

If you own the land - and you do if it's a Linden Home - you can get rid of them manually, just right-click on the avatar and select "Eject" or "Ban".

A security orb can only do automatically what you can do manually as the landowner. They can be quite a hassle and, as Rolig said, if set up wrong you may unknowingly end up griefing your neighbors but it is an option if you're worried about people dropping in and looking at your furniture while you are away.

I wouldn't normally recommend ban lines but Linden Homes are a bit special there. A Linden Home covers the entire parcel it's on so ban lines will only stop people trying to enter your house, not casual visitors stumbling across you place and besides, there are ahrdly any casual visitors to a Linden Home sim anyway. (You do not need both a security orb and ban lines btw. Security orbs were developed because of the many flaws of the ban lines system and those flaws aren't  really relevant for a Linden Home.)

While you're fiddling with the "About Land" settings, there are a few others you should check too:

• Under the "Options" tab, make sure the check boxes for allowing everybody to run scripts, build and enter objects are unchecked. (This is still for a Linden Home, remember. On a mainland parcel you really should allow everybody to run scripts and enter objects but maybe not build.)
  • Still under the "Options" tab, uncheck the "Avatars on other parcels can see and hear..." option. That means nobody on the outside can see you through the windows or by camming in. They can still se the itnerior but not any avatars inside.
  • Under the "Objects" tab, set autoreturn to 1-5 minutes or something like that. Do not under any circumstance keep the autoreturn at 0 minutes. STray objects may sometimes end up in your house even if object entry and buiding is switched off but when that happens, the autoreturn will always take care of the problem, usually before you even notice.
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.